1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Michael Vick (NFL) indicted for dog fighting

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by General Ghoul, Jul 18, 2007.

1. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Michael Vick, the quarterback for the NFL Atlanta Falcons, has been indicted in Virginia on federal charges of sponsoring dogfighting operations.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940065

Here is a man, in the prime of his athletic life, who makes $10 Million just from football, running a dogfighting ring to make money on the side by gambling and selling the fighting dogs. Its a sad fact that dogfighting is quite prevalent in the rural parts of America. Its not a black thing, I'm sure more whites are involved in the backroad fighting pits. Many try to justify it by saying its "just" dogs, property that you can do what you want with them, but tere is a reason its a felony in 48 states.

Vick is a complete dumbass. His jersey was the second highest seller after superbowl winning QB Peyton Manning. He had the opportunity, just like so many top athletes, to make the real big bucks in endorsements , but he refused to lose his gansta look, his gansta posse, and his gansta mentality. Now he's thrown it all away, the commissioner will certainly suspend him for the season, much like he did to Pacman Jones. This is the least of his worries. With the federal charge comes real prison time. Unlike state courts, where plea bargains are common and judges have disgression in sentencing, he will get no such luck in federal court. I suggest he buy some soap-on-a-rope.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Actually, I don't think we'll see a suspension any time soon. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say that Vick WILL play this season, and the only way he won't is if he gets hurt. The NFL Commissioner has already said he wants to let the legal process run its course before imposing a sentence. This is probably wise, as we all remember how the Duke Lacrosse case turned out. The case probably won't happen until after this season is over, so my money is on Vick playing (at least this year).

Now if it turns out that he is actually convicted - right now he's only indicted, and it's ridiculously easy to get an indictment - then I totally agree that Vick will be suspended.

Here one thing that always makes me chuckle. A lot of people say that the reason Vick does these things is because of the people he hangs out with. I would argue the converse - that the reason these other people do things like this is because they hang out with Michael Vick. It is Vick afterall, that has the funds to set things like this up.

3. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31

Here is a copy of the actual indictment:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0717072vick1.html

Its a good read. Granted we don't have the proof, YET, but the indicted is quite damning. The feds don't mess around with this stuff, this is not Mike Nifong prosecuting this case. I agree the commish may not do anything soon, but I have heard the argument that he could count this as a second offensive, the first being Vick's lies to him personally at the draft in NY.

Vick's backers say there is no direct proof linking Vick to the dogs, but it looks like this Peace guy is going to roll on him. Possible position change, to tight end?

4. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I truly hope he gets what he deserves from this. If it's true, and from everything I've seen and heard I personally think it is. Who else is going to have the cash to set up an operation like that anyways?

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    In prison? Not a chance. He'd definitely be a RECEIVER.

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Ooh Aldeth :shake: too funny. There is still a chance for him to be a holder too though...

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You people are sick! Although, to be fair, IF what is being said about Vick is true, he deserves whatever he gets. But likely he'll end up in Club Fed abing treated like royalty on the taxpayer dime.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Stupid and repulsive are trhe words I'm hearing on the Sports Radio that I listen to.

But I do hope that innocent until proven guilty can find a compromise with PETA...

Paid Suspension with a heavy fine in addition to the end of his NFL carreer if guilty sounds like it could work...

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The guy is an idiot, and a brutal ******* for being into dogfights.

10. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

lol well the feds are in on it and they have like a 95% conviction rate so I'd say he's toast

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

So wait, you mean he won't have to work but still get paid for it?

12. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Register: I was saying paid suspension while answering the charges. If convicted, he forfeits his contract and his carreer is over...

Now that he's pled guilty, the ride is over, no team will chance PETA's wrath and sign him once he serves his time. As it should be. If you're dumb enough to jeopardize a carreer that could have paid over 100 mil by the time it's done just to get your kicks, you deserve to lose out.

14. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Goddell will ban him from the NFL any way so it's a moot point.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I, for one, do not think that he deserves a life-time ban. Yes, it was a horrible thing he did, but I don't think that gives us a right to take away the guy's right to work. He will go to prison for this, and once that debt to society is paid, I believe that if he can find a team that is willing to sign him to a contract that he should be allowed to do so.

He is scheduled to be sentenced on 10 Dec. Since it is expected that he will get somewhere around one year in prison, it effectively means he will not be able to play in the 2007 and 2008 NFL seasons. However, I think that in 2009 he should be reinstated.

16. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31

Vick will receive a lifetime ban, but not for anything he did to any dog. Part of the conspiracy charge he plead to includes his financing of illegal gambling and the NFL wants no part of gambling (even though the Super Bowl is the most wagered on event and point spreads are published in every newspaper in America). Goodell gets to save face for the league for the suspension and it will legally hold because the NO GAMBLING clause is in every NFL contract, player, coach, or official.

Just for comparison, Leonard Little (St Louis Rams) got an 8 game suspension for killing a woman while drunk driving. Then was caught drunk driving again six years later. His new punishment, a 3 year extension of his contract.

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Well Ghoul I only see one flaw in your logic here. Both of his offense were under Tagliabou(sp?) The new commissioner, Goodell has been making a stand against crime, suspending several players for crimes that had no punishment from the former commissioner, and banning pacman Jones for life, because of his involvment in a shooting.

I think Vick would have a lifetime ban regardless of the gambling

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Pacman Jones didn't get a lifetime ban - he got one year. And just about everyone you read - even people working for league office - agree that Vick's career is most likely NOT over.

Most likely scenario - Vick gets a year in prison, so this season and next are gone. Goodell will likely impose another year suspension after that. Vick returns to the field in 2010. The US is a notoriously forgiving country, and if Vick does and says all the right things from when he gets out of prison, to when he steps on the field again about a year or so later, he will be welcomed back. (Also, Vick is only 27 - so in 2010 he'll still only be 30.)

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Wow - he got 23 months. That's considerably more than the 12-18 that was predicted, and if it wasn't such an awful crime, I'd be inclined to think that it's a bit excessive. Drug dealers get considerably lighter sentences.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've just heard about this myself. I think it's absolutely disgusting. Dogfighting is one of the most cruel and abhorrent things I can think of. The sentence is extremely light. They should have chucked him in a pit with a few of his dogs. If he survives, he only needs to 20 years in jail. If he loses, then I suppose we'll let him off...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.