1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Merchant League

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Xerxes, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Xerxes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In the city of BG in the south west corner where the flaming fist HQ are there is a building called the "merchant league" and the door has a "Locked using an unconventional lock and may be protected against simple spells" message on it, i have played through the game several times and i have never found a way to get into it, any one out there know how???

2. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You can only enter the building if you helped the guy in cloakwood (can't remember his name) to fight the druids.

3. Xerxes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Is there anything inside the building actualy worth getting into because i always kills that guy.

4. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

He is Aldeth Sashenstar, a nobleman.
    I had used to kill him too when playing BG first times, but later, I realised that it worths it much more if you help him defeating those savages.
    Later, in the city of BG, if you complete his quest, he gives you his sword as a reward, and gold as well if I remember correctly.

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There's a pretty big fight on the top floor of the merchant league with some doppelgangers which can be a struggle if you run into it unprepared (as I did the first time).

6. Baronius

It depends on the difficulty level and your party,
    should not be a serious battle though.
    Usually, my party is 7-8th level on average when I get there, so it is quite easy.

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Whether destroying the druids is more moral or not, well...issue for another time.

It is certainly worth it to kill the druids to enter the building.

8. The_Swordalizer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I tried reasoning with the druids and they went berserk and atatcked me, so i guess i was in the right killing 'em.

9. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

First time I killed the druids I decided I wanted the sword a head of time, before I went after the dopplegangers. I discovered to my delight, that if you pickpocket it then, he gives you another one later. It's a bug, but it's handy against those things.

10. Baronius

Weird bug. Aldeth has only one of that sword, and the dialog uses the GiveItem() command when he thanks your help against the doppelgangers. The GiveItem command checks whether the NPC really possesses the item, and gives it to your character only if the NPC really has the item. Since you have stolen it from him earlier, he should not be able to give the sword to you.

11. david w Gems: 19/31

Maybe there are two Aldeths, one you meet in Cloakwood, the other in Baldur's Gate, and each with their own version of the sword.

12. Baronius

I was thinking on the same. I checked it and there is only one Aldeth (ALDETH.CRE) and one dialog (ALDETH.DLG), and all dialogs (both the Cloakwood ones and the BG ones) are in the same file.
    It would be good to know whether Niskers stole the sword in Cloakwood or in the city of BG... this could help.

13. JulianMt Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

He stole the sword in the woods. This is a well documantated bug.If you really want to know how it works i won't tell you because i don't where to send you.Try the gamebanshee site if you are really intrested.

14. TheAngulion Gems: 1/31

Hello!
    Just one thing that wasn't mentioned above: If you don't kill Aldeth you don't get attacked by his brother in BG and miss that heavy crossbow +5, IIRC.

15. Baronius

Yes, Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy. +5 to THAC0 (to hit), +2 to Damage. Quite effective.

16. david w Gems: 19/31

Isn't it a +3 crossbow? I'm sure I killed Aldeth's brother once and the crossbow was +3.

17. TheAngulion Gems: 1/31

I just looked it up. Baronius is right, the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy has THAC0 +5 and damage +2.

Edit: BTW, would it count as a +5 weapon in game terms although it hasn't got a magical damage bonus (+2 damage being normal for heavy crossbows)?

[ February 24, 2004, 20:52: Message edited by: TheAngulion ]

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It most likely counts as +5. Most weapons that have different damage vs. THAC0 bonuses go with the THAC0. This is also true of most weapons that are normally +X, but +Y vs. certain creatures. Most weapons like this will only be counted as the +X figure.

19. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

So this might be abit way off, even in the wrong part of the forums, and I´m sorry for that. But it got me wondering nonetheless.

The mentioned crossbow has the same stats in BG2.
    And if it indeed is like Aldeth say, that the thac0 sets the "what it can hit".
    Would you be able to hit, for example, Kangaxx with it?

20. david w Gems: 19/31

Only one way to find out...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.