1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mephistopheles (spoiler)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Blackthorne TA, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So, how did you defeat him?

For my character it was pretty near impossible to defeat him in a straight-up melee battle with Deekin at my side (Aribeth betrayed me no matter what I tried to increase my Persuasion, so I had to leave her behind if I wanted to fight him).

I could handle him up to the first time he flys away, but when he returns, he would do ~50 points of damage per round to me while I could do at most 10-15 (frequently less) of damage to him with the weapons I had (including the Belt of Storm Giant Strength and Nasher's Ring for some HUGE strength).

I could easily beat him by incapacitating him with Choking Powder, but that was not really satisfying.

I think the best way for me was to use his True Name to defeat him, but that sure is a costly way :) (BTW, anyone notice that the demon merchant in the ice mine place had the highest (by far) selling cap at 50000 gp?) At least that way I could bring Aribeth with me and read how sorry she was about betrying me in the end :lol:

2. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What character were you playing?

I beat her once with a paladin/rdd and it was shockingly simple really. I was expecting things to be much more difficult. With vampiric equipment, regen equipment, a high ac from equipment plus divine shield (around 68 iirc) etc. I wasn't hit too often. My persuade and charisma I guess let me keep Aribeth around. I used two heal potions I believe and my strategy consisted of running up and whacking him with a big hunk of metal.

What option did you choose afterwards?

This time I'm playing a straight classed wizad. My fall back plan will make it so that it isn't TOO terribly difficult I think. If all else fails, I'm planning on extended acid sheath plus extended elemental shield plus extended death armor plus greater warding. Rinse and repeat with premonition since greater warding is a once per day deal. I'll use some heal potions this way and throw around as many spells as I can to see what I can come up with but the key to this fall back plan will be letting myself get walloped. We'll see if it works : )

3. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Lessee... the one and only time I played, I had a Paladin dual-wielding long swords (Enseric and a Holy Avenger), both were heavily modified by the smith.

My strategy consisted of casting "holy avenger" on Enseric, and wielding the Avenger in the off hand, add to that the Divine Favor feat (over and over again, with my charisma as pumped up as high as possible). With the feat and the spell, I had a *considerable* amount of magic and divine damage that goes straight through Meph's damage resistance with every hit.

I had Aribeth and Valen, and Valen betrayed me, but he only lasted about 2 seconds past the word go.

With an occasional heal potion Meph got crushed without even so much as a close call.

4. david w Gems: 19/31

I had no trouble with him at all, although I was playing on easy difficulty so I guess that made the most difference. My 27th level fighter and Deekin just tore him apart. He got a few hits in but nothing special and the 50 heal potions I'd bought from the pit boss kept me out of danger.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I didn't have much trouble. I was playing a Paladin X/ RDD 10 / Sorcerer 1 build, so I was immune to fire, had super stats, items that boosted my CHA sky high (for awesome saves), and an assortment of keen, beefed up weapons to switch around from. Aribeth and Deekin were in my party.

It took about 10 minutes and a few heal potions, but yeah - he went down the first time I fought him. I had dumped points into Persuasion with every level, so I had no problem convincing both Aribeth and Deekin to stay on my side. Having them in the battle certainly helped. At this point, Deekin was a full-blown RDD (also immune to fire) and I gave Aribeth a ring of epic fire resistence and a few other items to boost her elemental resistances, which are Meph's primary attacks IIRC.

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Smacked him down with a Weapon Master and 2 Acid Katanas.

Used the True Names to keep my henchmen faithful.

Mephistopheles is not immune to Acid.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting.

I had a Ranger 20/Wizard 1/Arcane Archer X (5? 6?) so my AC was pretty low (mid to upper 30s). He tagged me at will. I was immune to his cold and fire damage, but not his physical damage. Before he flew away the first time, he would do 10-20 points of physical damage per round, but after he came back, he was doing 20-25 points of physical damage per hit on me. I'd gulp a healing potion and be a quarter dead before I finished it, so I'd have one round, maybe two to try to damage him. No good.

I didn't have acid weapons; I had a beefed up Enserric (I chose 2d6 electrical damage instead of acid unfortunately) and a beefed up Offhand Axe that did 1d6 Sonic damage. His 50 points of damage per round was far too much for the +5 Vampiric Regeneration from Enserric to compensate for. As mentioned, I had a huge strength bonus going on, so I could do some damage most rounds, but not near enough.

He was COMPLETELY vulnerable to Choking Powder though, so I could smack him easily like that, but like I said, I thought it was better to just order him back to his domain in hell.

8. david w Gems: 19/31

Do he have different damage resistances on different difficulty settings? I'm sure I heard someone mention that he has damage reduction of 45 and yet I managed to hit him for 30-40 points of damage on most hits, which would equate to 75-85 points of damage on anyone without damage reduction.

9. eug1404 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just used his true name and took everything over for myself :evil: , the power was too tempting and i was corrupted.

10. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I just punched him up with my monk fists. The problem was that I didn't even know about things like the powder. But, how did you guys get his true name, when I asked the knower of names she said that she couldn't or wouldn't tell me. What's up?

11. david w Gems: 19/31

The Gatekeeper knows his true name but won't reveal it unless you have *his* true name from the Knower of Names.

[ April 02, 2004, 17:04: Message edited by: david w ]

12. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

you can also command the Knower to tell you his (Meph's) name, if you in turn, know her name

13. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Well, my Fighter/Rogue/Weapon Master took him down quite easily actually. He doesnt seem to be immune to criticals, and with two weapons that are keen and have the Massive Criticals property, it was no problem. Crit range 10-20 (or 11-20, cant remember. None-the-less, he was mashed)

14. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It does seem to be either too easy or too hard.

My Arcane Archer had some trouble, but I had acid arrows with which to keep Big M softened up while I fed Heal potions to my meatshields Deekin and Aribeth.

15. konny666 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I "bought" the loyalty of both Nathy and Valen, so my tactic for defeating M was as follows:

1. Buff myself to maximum while in Hell, buff henchmen as well.

2. Teleport to Waterdeep, I keep my buffs, henchmen lose theirs (?)

3. Henchmen start fighting M (and his friends) in melee. I ignore M but attack his friends if they're around.

4. Summon everything I can to help fight M. Try encouraging henchies to heal by giving them Heal potions when they get in the red.

5. Both Nathy and Valen end up getting killed at least once; use Rod of Resurrection to resurrect them so they go back to work. Used it like 5 times in that battle.

6. Since I had a really bad build of a mage, NONE of my spells have any effect (no epic spells)... thats why I just stood there, resurrecting the henchies.

7. At some point M goes Neutral to try and "talk" but I fail to stop casting a spell in time; that spell hits him so he goes hostile again without letting me read his dialog...

8. Kill him, finish the game...

In short, a pretty annoying battle and I didn't care enough for it to re-try. Just opened the module in the toolset and read all the possible dialog options M had.

16. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I had a Druid 10/17 Shifter, so I justed kept morphing into a minotaur who did quite a bite o' damage, and criticals doing a hundred and so. I spent all my coin on potions of heal after I got the necessary true names. It took a while, but persistence and patience finally brought down the bloody hulk. Granted, Deekin and Aribeth needed some resurecting because Meph enjoyed picking on them. After about a half hour or so, about 30 healing potions (for me alone), and a lot of blood, he was vanquished.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.