1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Men can't understand women (now a proven fact)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Colthrun, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Interesting, but the test group was only about 12 people, so I wouldn't trust it too much. :hmm:

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Agreed. They've found the symptoms, but not the cause, yet. They conject that the male mind interprets the 'more complex' sound of a female's voice (show me some comparative osiliscope readouts, please :) ) as 'music'. IMO it's a good start, but talk to me in a year's time with a handful more studies done in different regions around the world and bringing the subject base into the 100's.

...and of course, I wanna see the data itself, but that's just me - you say her voice is more complex than his (esp. when that premise is NOT the focus of this study) then show me objective proof of same before taking it as given...

The article was a little skimpy, tbh. I'd rather get the original journal article *shrug*

But it's interesting - I'll have to keep my eyes out for more on this in the future! :)

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

With a test group of only 12 probably one sexuality as well the research looks more like a justification of his own attitude rather a generalisation.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps women gain more attention on the internet, but on the other hand, a man's voice plays an important role in women's attraction.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

So are you saying that a deep, dark voice can attract women like honey flies? Because if you are, I could start singing. :p

(By the way... When did you reach 8300 posts and *what* have you been doing? ;) )

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@Wirhe: lol - he's the news editor: all the *real* news here is posted by him, IIRC.

@DarkS: the study itself is examining the reactions of MEN to different types of voices; studying women would be introducing superfluous variables. And "his own attitude"? :hmm: Who's 'he'? Not the researcherS; a whole team is making this study.

Again, I think the hypothesis may have merit, but it's far too soon to state anything even close to a cause; give 'em another year or two and then we'll see what they come up with...

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:book: Huh? Did someone say something in this thread? Sorry, but I wasn't listening. My brain's not tuned to 'male' voices.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, so women can't understand men, either? At least it's mutual.

10. Colthrun

Fortunately we always have the [Dreadful_French_accent]universal language of love[/Dreadful_French_accent] :love:

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    [the kind of French accent you don't hear anymore today]La langue universelle de l'amour, vous dites?[/accent] ;) :p

But seriously, the ability to listen is one of the key things in proper upbringing. Not listening to a lady who's talking to you would be quite irreverent. Besides, the ability to talk for hours and hours is one of the most beautiful parts of a friendship or relationship. Especially if the voice is nice. One of my sisters has a beautiful voice, indeed like music, but I still pay attention to the lyrics. ;) If someone doesn't listen... well, he doesn't care.

12. Colthrun

@chev: Oui, mais j'ai voulu que ceux qui ne peuvent pas parler français pourraient comprendre. ;) (gee, this actually took a while, my French is quite rusty...)

About people not being taught to listen to others, I agree completely. It is a big problem nowadays, not only between people of different genders. Young ones especially, no longer consider what their elders say, regardless of whether they may be right or not, and now they don't even (at least) pretend to be interested in the conversation.

That didn't happen in my time, oh no. We had to walk uphill in the snow (both ways) to our grandparents house to listen to their stories, and we liked it! :geezer:

I guess we may be getting too used to the capabilities of non-oral forms of conversation. It's so easy to convey different meanings to a sentence with something as simple as a smiley at the end... I know people completely unable to grasp irony or sarcasm when spoken to, but who can get it in 'smiley-assisted' writing. I also know of a person with conversational skills so poor that he speaks using a monotone, like a recording. Thus, he is unable to convey any emotion in his speech, and is a terribly boring speaker.

[ September 09, 2005, 13:26: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Generally speaking men's voices are easier to hear. The lower tones carry better than higher ones. However I know a few women who could get just about anyone's attention.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.