1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Melee Vs. Ranged

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Frog, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

It seems Melee combat is useless. After dying a number of times I equiped my entire party with Ranged weapons and it seems easier. Is there a way to make Melee combat effective? My fighters miss too much and get kill quickly. I must be doing something wrong. Please Enlighten me, I am rather new to the game.

2. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

You do nothing wrong just get some exp. and gp. Spend the gp on better weapons and arming and you will make it. Nevertheless hold the enemies in distance if possible. Out of reach keeps you saver than any arming.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

In the beginning, melle attack isn't easy, the fighters do miss too much, cause of the high THACO. Your THACO get lower when you get level up. Magic weapons do also lower the Thaco. When you fight with a weapon you're not specialized in,you get a penalty on Taco, with more profiency-slots on a weapons, the THACO is also lower and the damage more. With a lower THACO you also kick faster with a weapon. So get exprecience,reach a higher level, and become a good melee-fighter.

4. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Thanx for your help.

5. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

One tactic that works for me is to arm each party member with both a ranged and melee weapon. That way, when they're attacking an enemy, they can needle them pretty bad with crossbows, bows and slings until the enemy reaches your party. Then switch to melee weapons for your fighters, while the rest continue with the ranged weapons. The enemy should be hurting pretty bad by then and shouldn't be too much of a problem, just make sure your characters have at least one star in the weapon slot for their chosen ranged weapon.

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

oh you can just get minsc and level him up and go send him to fight knolls and watch his THAC0 go as low as 7!

7. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Interesting, I found the exact opposite occured in my party. Being a coward my first purchase was a nice big crossbow, but I invariably found that I could only get a couple of shots off before I had to resort to melee and the crossbow saw a lot less use than my hammer. As most NPC fighters seem to be melee oriented I never tried an all ranged party, though I did entertain the notion of 6 heavy crossbows at one point. Novelty pincushion anyone?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Longbows have a higher rate of fire than crossbows.

9. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I also liked the damage the magic arrows did for longbows better than the magic bolts available. I was never a real range fan. I used it on occasion, and I did always have (and usually always will) have 2 archers in my party, with usually one or both that can enter into melee once it starts. Khalid was my tank, and at high levels (regardless of what everyone else says), he could handle most enemies singlehanded. Minsc, Coran, and myslelf were usefull backups. The only 2 archers I used were Minsc and Coran.

10. davycop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree about Khalid being a tank. I've read a lot of stuff about him being a wimp but he's the only good aligned figter who can max out in weapons. Once he levels up and gets those grand master bonuses he'll better than Minsc or anyone else. He gets +3 roll bonus and +5 damage bonus with five stars in long swords! That's quite an advantage. I use Minsc mainly as an archer.

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I use minsc as a knoll killer and a target for the enemy; he's usually the leader to protect myself...i'm usually a type of mage.

12. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just a quick comment on the Crossbow post. Yes they are normally slower than longbows and there is less variety in ammunition. However, I saved up and got the light crossbow of speed (from Beregost I think, it was a long time ago) for Imoen to use. If you get it later in the game it's not hideously expensive (relatively speaking and assuming your reputation has risen) and it fire 2 bolts per round (or somrthing, long time ago). For Imoen it was a fantastic weapon.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've always had Imoen as the party archer... In BG1 I equipped her with the Eagle Bow (short bow). It has THAC0: +2, Damage: +2, Weight: 2, Speed Factor: 4.
    The weapon of choice for her I think. You can get it from Marek in the Blushing Mermaid inn in BG city.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Right, but you can get the eagle-bow, protector of the Dryads far in the game, and then your THACO is already much lowered.... For ranged attacks I love the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy, with damage +2 and Thaco +5, it is really strong...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.