1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mazzy

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Will, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Just thought I'd have a bash at this short story lark. *cracks knuckles* Dunno if this is going to fit in the box...

“Mazzy, wait!” called Sebastian as he crashed through the side door of the Copper
    Coronet after the incensed halfling, closely followed by his four travelling
    companions. As his eyes adjusted to the dim light after the glaring haze of an
    Athkatlan midday in the depths of Flamerule, Sebastian glanced frantically around the
    tavern in search of the diminutive warrior. What had she been thinking, thought
    Sebastian, when she had challenged a musclebound half-ogre thug to a fight to the
    death? Admittedly, Mazzy was a fine, courageous fighter, but her skill lied in archery,
    not melee. Throughout the party’s jaunt through the defiled temple of Amaunator in
    the Umar Hills, Mazzy had stayed back with Aerie and Nalia, providing supporting
    fire for Sebastian, Keldorn and Anomen as they hacked and smote a path through the
    horde of undead that stood in their way. Sebastian finally caught sight of a girl in
    scanty yellow clothing pointing towards a bloodstained, battle-worn fighting pit and
    of Mazzy nearby, angrily removing her armour and shouting at a rat-like man in a
    pungent brown tunic.
    “Surly! Set up the pit for combat,” yelled Mazzy at the man as Sebastian
    approached her, “I am to fight the half-ogre lout Gorf.”
    The man snorted, “Pfeh! Gorf sure knows ‘ow teh pick ‘em. It makes no
    difference to me, shortarse; get in the ring.”
    “Mazzy!” said Sebastian, turning the halfling around to face him, “Why are
    you doing this? Its obvious you’re no match for him. He’s at least three times your
    size and clearly very experienced. I know you’re proud, but why don’t you at least let
    me or Keldorn fight him?”
    Mazzy, still enraged from seeing Gorf knock out an innocent passer-by to
    dishonour her, pushed the burly ranger’s hand from her shoulder and, without a word,
    turned to face her approaching opponent. She gave a humourless grin.
    “Well then, oaf! Shall we begin?”
    By the time Gorf and Mazzy had entered the pit, a small throng of the tavern’s
    less savoury patrons had gathered to watch the fight. An ostinato chant of “Gorf, Gorf,
    Gorf!” swelled from the crowd. Sebastian felt Keldorn’s gauntleted hand upon his
    shoulder.
    “Might I suggest a little more tact in the future, hm?” muttered the paladin.
    Noticing Sebastian’s furrowed brow, Keldorn gave the younger man a kindly smile,
    “Fear not, Sebastian. I have an inkling that Mistress Fentan may yet surprise us.”
    Mazzy calmly bent down and picked up the short sword and small shield left
    for her on the far side of the pit. She closed her eyes and whispered a prayer to her
    Goddess. Keldorn’s trained eye detected a subtle energy flowing through Mazzy’s
    small muscles. He grinned and sat to watch the fight.
    “Enough, smally! Gorf bored now. RAAAAAAAAAAGH!!” The half-ogre
    charged, swinging his large club over his head as he did so. Mazzy turned swiftly,
    effortlessly parrying the powerful blow with her short sword. As Gorf looked down in
    disbelief, Mazzy smirked and brought her shield up under his chin, knocking him
    back several feet. Gorf jumped up, shook his dazed head and snarled.
    “Halfling bitch. No-one hit Gorf the Squisher and live!” He roared, swinging
    his club horizontally in a tremendous, low arc. Mazzy deftly jumped over the clumsy
    attack, bringing the pommel of her sword down on Gorf’s head as she fell. The
    half-ogre howled in pain and swung his fist in a backhand attack towards her. Mazzy
    leant backwards to avoid the blow. The (now quiet) spectators noticed a quick flash
    of steel. A woman screamed and tried frantically to throw away the large, green,
    twitching hand which now lay in her lap.
    Gorf, partially supported by his one good hand as he gazed in horror at the
    gushing stump that he held up in front of him, barely noticed the strong kick with
    which Mazzy laid him on his back. She discarded her shield, lifted her sword above
    her head and thrust it firmly through Gorf’s heart. His agonised scream turned quickly
    to a gargle as thick, black blood erupted from his throat. Mazzy turned away from the
    half-ogre’s twitching corpse and skipped lightly over the rim of the pit. The silent
    crowd parted as she approached her friends. No-one noticed Anomen quietly
    vomiting in a flagon as Mazzy wiped the black specks of blood from her face, smiled
    sweetly at Sebastian, took her chainmail tunic, bow and sword from him and said,
    “Come, Sebastian. Let us leave this boorish place.” Sebastian could only nod as
    Mazzy and Keldorn left the tavern quietly. The only thought that passed through his
    mind was that perhaps it was about time Anomen got a better sling...

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] Nice description of the fight, are you going to continue on that story or perhaps write other episodes like that?

Perhaps you could write the Kangaxx fight :p

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Nah, it was a one-off. I just think Mazzy is cool. Incidentally I never got round to fighting Kangaxx; by the time I'm powerful enough I get fed up wandering around Athkatla and bugger off to the elf city.

4. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Anomen needs a better sling, eh? Mayhaps to carry the wench Mazzy around in ???? 8-)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.