1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mazzy or Keldorn

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by the assassin, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Avooch Dar Guest

Do not worry dear extremist i am with you!

I support the side of mazzy as she is kind and god yet a brill archer and very deadly in combat.
    plus she is the perfect height for entertainment.

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Perfect height for entertainment?!?! Dream on, the respectable Mazzy Fentan would never do anything like that with the likes of a troll like you ;)

3. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

And Finally I put some writing in this thread and suddenly noone disagrees? I had hoped for a continued debate. tsk tsk :rolleyes: I must make a similar post in favour of Keldorn then...

4. Avooch Dar Guest

Oh my goodness!!
    Big B i don't know what sort of dirty rubbish you have in mind but i was simply stating that her height was perfect for useing her as a pole in a game of ring throwing. I think i made it obvious enough but hell knows what you were thinking (with a name like that probably something to do with the fact she wouldn't mind small men ;))

5. Big B Gems: 27/31

Dirty rubbish?!?! You're the one who started it? ;)

6. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I just want to save as much exp. points for characters I want to keep!!

7. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Mazzy or Keldorn? I would ask the question an other way: Mazzy or Holy Avenger? I don't like Keldorn, though he has some awesome inquisitor abilities, Mazzy is mutch better, with the short bow of Gesen and cutthroat +4, she is the perfect swordswoman. And she's cute, and the only playable halfling NPC in the game!

8. alky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I wouldn't want my mage to cast True Sight while a thief lurks about... if the mage doesn't successfully cast it in time, WHAM! low HP + backstab damage = dead mage.

With someone else other than my mage who can disspell and detect illusions saves my mage and cleric time, allowing them to cast other spells (i.e. when facing groups of enemies, its such a waste to have the mage cast True Sight to detect one enemy who hides in shadows while the others are easy targets for other offensive spells, Keldorn can cast True Sight and take care of the rogue himself)

Also, Keldorn's dispel magic is valuable since it saves your mage/cleric spell slots that would otherwise be alloted for other important spells...

9. Gwyddyon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I prefer Mazzy for her personality (something Keldorn appeared to lack in the 10 realtime hours I spent with him in my party.) What could be better RPwise than a halfling paladin?!

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Alky, You make that backstabbing business sound awfully dangerous. Its rarely the mage who gets attacked by a backstab. And If the thief eventually lurks around behind Your lines thenĀ“most mages have a stoneskin active. I usually have scrolls ready for those occasion. You don't even have to buy them. The Oracle scroll is on every mage in random city encounters. So I have no spellbook slots filled with True sight or Oracle.

The only reason I would stick with Keldorn is his use of Dispel Magic. But I find it doll to bring a NPC along for only one reason. Look at his stats. He is actually the worst NPC tank in attributes, of Korgan, Minsc, Anomen, Mazzy and Valygar.

As I said. He is a luxury toy.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 29, 2001).]

11. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

I played through SoA and ToB with both of them. Both worked well.

But Mazzy suffered a serious case of 'morale failure' in several crucial battles, and some not-so-crucial..

12. Big B Gems: 27/31

Mazzy hardly ever gets "morale failure" for me, one she has good saving throws and two she gets 2 instill fears as an innate ability which pretty much act like Resist/Remove Fear.

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] TO GONZAGO The morale of groupmembers will break easier if Your current leader has a low Charisma.

I have a feeling I have written this before. Strange..

14. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Lol for once I'm with Extremist.
    Mazzy is about the most versatile fighter in the game. Excellent with the bow at a distance, and can even hold her own in melee. The Unmar hills quest was about the first I did out of Irenicus' Dungeon and I used her through ToB and I believe she didnt die a single time. Whereas I was constantly resurrecting Keldorn for all 2 quests I used him. Granted his dispel and true sight is pretty nice, a couple of mages or clerics could make up for it. Or an Inquisitor PC. :) Hell use em both. If your a good aligned party I can't see why you wouldn't.

15. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

That's funny, because I was wearing the ring and wielding blade of the roses, so MY CHARISMA WAS 20.

Sheesh.

16. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] hey go mazzy cos she KICKS SERIOUS ANUS with a short bow!!!! shes got a prof of 5 in it!
    jus find her the tuigan bow +1 and ur set!

17. Big B Gems: 27/31

This talk of Mazzy hardly ever dying and Keldorn dying often is not a fair one. If Mazzy sits back and shoots her arrows all day, and Keldorn is up front in the chaos, of course he will die more often :rolleyes:

18. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

True Big B. That's why I compared Keldorn with the other "tanks" He has the poorest battle stats next to Minsc, Anomen, Korgan, Valygar AND even Mazzy if she chose Close combat. Boost him with all sorts of Magical hardware, then he is good. But who wouldn't be?

19. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Big B, that's so true. I had this argument with my friend ALL THE TIME about Khalid back in BGI. My friend was convinced Khalid was a total loser because he died and ran away from combat all the time while the other characters didn't. But he had Khalid up front doing tank work! Of course he died and lost enough hit points to flee more often than his wife hanging around in the back casting bless.

As for all the doodads, you're going to get them anyway, so you might as well use them. Minsc has a higher dex than Keldorn, but once you put the gauntlets of dex on them, they're equal. Now, if your main character's dex is bad, maybe then you don't want Keldorn on that count. But otherwise, it's not like your tank is going to be fighting naked no matter who he is. (Well, except Mazzy in the pit that one time... (-: )

Really, the main drawbacks of Keldorn are role-playing ones. He's a racist, which is hard to swallow, and I also have a very hard time justifying demanding he come with me instead of spending time with his children after the big blowout with his family. "Well, Keldorn, I know your kids miss you and your wife almost left you because you're never home, but I have this great sword +5 that I can't use without you around, so they're just going to have to wait till I finish ToB, okay?" (-:

20. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Mazzy can fight in close combat skipping Gauntlets of Dex. She is a more competent tank. IMHO

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited September 02, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.