1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Maze Spellhold Stone Wall Trap - undisarmable, or is it?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Naghite, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Naghite Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So, I am going through BG2 again, and I really wanted to "get revenge" on that stone wall trap in the spellhold maze. Planning this from the start, my disarm trap skill was 120 natural (i don't even have the patch much less a mod or exp remover) and I go in to try and do this trap. Fail/squish, re-load, fail/squish - re-load. Polymorph self into green slime, fail but trap is NOT set off, just the fail message - no squish. Ok, so I think, hey, this MUST be disarmable or I would have set it off, right? Drink 4 potions so that detect trap is now 200, fail every time/squish.

Would one not think that a fail message without setting off the trap would mean that it IS disarmable, at least in theory?

Thoughts/comments?!?

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

No. You were just dexterous enough to escape getting caught.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, it's not disarmable. I'm surprised it's even detectable, but then I suppose that would help you avoid it. But regardless, if you have 100 or more in Detect Traps, any trap you cannot disarm cannot BE disarmed. Trap difficulties are set from 0 to 100, and those set at 100 are just plain undisarmable, even if you were to have the maximum number before looping around to 0.

As for fail-squish and fail-not-squish, that's probably just because you weren't standing in the activation area that one time. Sometimes when you go to disarm a trap, you step on it, and sometimes you don't. I've even had experiences back in BG1 where I would successfully disarm a trap and yet still set it off because Imoen walked over it to disarm a point on the far side of the trap. :rolleyes: :shake:

4. Desuma Malevois Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

FWIW, you can use the trap to your advantage if your party is at the southern end of the corridor.
    s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r
    Launch an area effect spell (I use cloudkill) at the other end of the corridor and watch the waiting yuan-ti wipe themselves out on the trap as they try to get at you!

5. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

AFAIK, "mechanical" traps can not be disarmed. And I think it is one of the tips you receive when you load or save game. And that one seems like a mechanical trap.

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

DEsuma: Even a simple Horror or Chaos does a great job!

7. Desuma Malevois Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This is true, but if the spell succeeds then they might wander off in the wrong direction - I want something that'll make them charge me. In addition, I usually have a fully charged wand of cloudkill by that point. :)

8. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Um, so let me get this straight. You planned a whole new game just to disarm that trap? You could have just read a walkthrough.

It never bothered me. I usually just avoid it(you dont have to go through it) or resurrect the party member who died by it.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I usually cheat and jump across it with ctrl+j just because it annoys me that much.

10. Naghite Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for the replies everyone.

No, I did not start a whole new game JUST to try disarming the trap, but since I it took me out the other times I played, I knew I wanted to try it.

Also, I never trust other people, so I confirm everything myself - or at least I try too.

11. nunsbane

nunsbane

You can summon a couple of monsters and send them through the hallway first...they take one for the team and your party members live to fight on.

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Summons trigger the trap, but it is still there and eager to squish you.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Meh just go around it. I kinda knew you couldn't disarm it after my thief had his skill at 100 so I didn't bother anymore :(

14. nunsbane

nunsbane

kuemper, there are two spots which trigger the trap....just make sure that you send two monsters, one monster at a time, to trigger the spots. Then your party can proceed without the trap snapping shut.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.