1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Master of Orion III goes gold!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by ToTaL, Jan 26, 2003.

1. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

2. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I am really looking forward to this. I loved the first Master Of Orion, but I have no memory of a second master of orion... When did that come out and was it any good?

3. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

OMG :eek:

You missed the 2nd part!
    IMHO it is much better than 1st part, which i have played after 2nd but, belive me, the sequel is really improved and there are many new stuff. I cant remember it now, it was some time ago, but as i remember it is like jump from 1st part of Heroes of M&M to 3rd, really!

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Oh yes. This is definitely something to wait for. Damn the Shrub and Sadist for their coming war. Damn the niburu for destroying our world in some time next summer! We've got Lionheart, Halo, Starwars Galaxies, LoTR: RoTK, who knows what else, and now MOO3 coming. Oh my. I only hope my studies go well this year as well so I can get myself secured as much as is possible. So in case the end of the world doesn't come afterall, this'll be one heck of a year.

5. Xyphys Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm really looking forward to this too. It must have been a hundred of times I have completed MOO2. I love to play that. You can probably see it at my name. :D

6. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

Since i put the firs post, i feel obligation to "warn" you about this game...

Yesterday i have tried it at friend, we have played for several hours. And i think that i would rather play 2nd part than 3rd now. Why? There are too many options to change and if you change some of them, they don't have too much effect on your realm (micromanagement). But it seems that they knew that it will be a problem so it is somewhat automated, but you can deal with that if you really want... I caught myself pressing NEXT TURN rather than changing something that i think it needed change, similar experience i had with Birth of the Federation. Diplomacy is more advanced, but not better. You need 2 turns to make agreement: 1 to send and 1 to receive (since they wanted realism, why are communications travelling equal to different distances) And you can send only one request per race per turn. There is some form of galactic council from start that makes laws and it is sort of interesting add on (ban chemical weapons for instance).

My taste doesn't like graphics. It is not that i loved graphics in 2nd part, but here it is too spartanic for my taste. But not everywhere... Diplomatic "sessions" show the other races that are so flashy and shiny that is hardly beliveable. It should be impressive but it is nothing compared to other games.

And finally: battles... Well i cant tell much since i had only one battle, one on one scout, and i think it was real time, you right click your ship to move him (i think) and fire (somehow, lclick maybe) on enemy if he is in FOV? But in creation of ship i haven't seen FOV of weapons, so maybe that part of strategy is out. The graphics here are also so so (bad) and i couldn't find pause (like BG)to issue commands (i had only one ship here, but what if i had armada of 10 ships?)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will try today in hope of changing my opinion and returning with word that 3rd part is great game worth playing more than 2nd part!!!

And i have some questions: where are freighters to ship food on barren planets, is green 1 planet more hospitable than green 2, how does that region management works - is it in connect with population, and how...

PS And I almost forgot, the biggest disadvantage is that instead of great help system in 2nd part (right click on something you don't understand) they put encyclopedia that should be at least huge in detail, but it is not!

Edit: I removed Graemlins...

7. Xyphys Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I haven't bought the game yet, but don't freighters go automatically to planets were food is needed?

Maybe there is an option for real time or turn based combat?

I will come up with more questions when I have some more time.

8. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

I've so far found the game about as appealing as playing Quicken.

I can see it now... Master of Orion IV: The Spreadsheet. ...and I was such a big fan of I and II...

Of course if you let the computer do all the micro-management the game plays itself so what is the point?

Oh well, it was a noble attempt, and quite impressive too when you consider the team that made it consisted of just five guys. Let's just hope they don't botch Master of Magic II...

9. Warlock Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Long long ago there was MOO the new cool game. Then the next MOO2 came and the war began once again. And now the saga goes on with MOO3 another space strategy where you are a emperor and you can cotrol every aspect of your citizen's life
    GAME IS COOL!

10. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

Since some of you are playing, i have few questions...

Is food and minerals transport automatic? I mean, if there is surplus on one planet and shortage on another, it doesn't matter as long as there is surplus on main screen (as long as all mines in your empire are producing enough for all factories in your empire)

How to get rid of piracy?

Which mounts can shoot rockets and fighters beside point defense?

Do you have problems with the ending the turns after 200 turns? To me it starts to be really slow but i don't think that it is problem with processor.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.