1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Many dead in China

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Takara, May 12, 2008.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Not long after the horrific typhoon in Burma, I still call it such, a massive eathquake has hit south-western China killing 8,500 at the current time. :(

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I heard that a couple schools were hit. With the birth restrictions, I wonder how many family lines will come to an abrupt end with that tragedy?

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Sometimes I wonder if this isn't Mother Earth getting back at us for disrespecting the enviroment... :(

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I wouldn't put it so poetically, but there is good reason to believe that our activities as humans can affect the environment. The Dust Bowl in the U.S. comes to mind.

Whatever the causes of the weather tragedies in Burma/Myanmar, China, the U.S. and elsewhere, my prayers go out to those affected and I hope that sufficient aid reaches them soon.

5. Gnarfflinger

I heard that the IOC is sending Aid to the affected regions in China...

Deathmage: I like Brian Griffin's line from Family guy better: "God is pissed!"

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Latest report say death toll tops 15,000. :(

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Good to know that even though the world's pissed at China for general Tibetan dickery, people aren't shy about sending aid relief.

8. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i think the reason that we dont see the level of aid going chinas way that was sent to burma is due to the sheer size of china. they are able to soak up a disaster of this size without it having that bad of an impact on their economy even though the loss of life may be worse(less in numbers but much worse in number of family lines wiped out)

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Possibly, but it would still help to send as much aid as possible. I doubt countries, even fairly large ones, can adequately plan for such large-scale emergencies, and a little aid 2 days after the disaster is better than a lot 2 months after it. Also, so to say, "sharing is caring" - it's good for relations with the neighbors, which is one of the reasons I'm glad China allowed international aid from its neighbors, including Japan. Hopefully the casualties are more or less minimized from now on - I've heard forecasts for up to 50,000 deaths - and architects take into account seismic activity. A few years ago, there was a series of poweful earthquakes in the Asian part of Turkey, whose impact was amplified by the shoddy, on-the-cheap construction practices that were used in many towns in that region.

May the dead rest in peace, and the living be comforted.

10. Gnarfflinger

Also, China has more of an infrastructure in place to get aid where it's needed. They are also getting ready to host the world, so they can't getr away with the crap that Burma is accused of when the eyes of the world are upon them...

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    So did any of you donate?
    I donated $20. Was reading the papers, and might donate more.

The worst part about is that I believe many people were forced to watch (hear) their friends and family die because there weren't enough manpower to save them from the rubble.

Also, I saw on the papers that a nearby dam might collapse, thus sending water down onto the earthquaked area, and therefore killing any survivors still present.

And finally, apparently some seismologists already predicted this, but officials ignored the warning. Millions of toad migrated before the incident, which were also ignored.

12. Fairie Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Media:
    If the death toll continues to go up, the Chinese will lose the equivalent to an entire generation, says the News.

An entire generation of people. So much death in such a small space of time. It's a real tragedy.

13. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I donate 20€ every month, plus my time and efforts to get people donate a little more...

14. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    A wee update:
    Controversies are beginning to arise that the Chinese government in fact KNEW about the earthquake, but did not bother to give warning to "common people". Apparently, military plants and nuclear-related stuff were shut down a week or so before the event, and children from rich schools were evacuated.

Incidentally, a seismologist have in fact predicted the earthquake far before the event, including when and where it will hit, but he was ignored.

Finally, the earthquake have weakened the nearby dam, and if that collapses then the ex-town will be flooded, killing any possible survivors and washing away the remainder of the city.

Things aren't going well for China, is it? I read on Chinese papers that there's starting to be revolution-y parades in Hong Kong about anti-Communism. Perhaps history shall repeat itself after all; and yet another revolution will overthrow the Chinese government.

15. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yeah I knew someone who was there at that specific place and specific time. But he didn't have any injuries. He stayed for weeks helping the needy though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.