1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making the most of your Mercantile Background

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by aerilon, Sep 27, 2002.

1. aerilon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Something I noticed, as usual in these games, prices get better as your charisma goes up. The Mercantile Background feat also gives better prices. Now, it's not a huge deal, not the most useful feat there is, but if you're going to get it, for whatever reason, you should get it with someone who already has a good charisma, and preferably only give it to one character in your party.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Indeed, I gave *mercantile background* to my human bard - high chr, high diplomacy/ bluff/ intimidate = negotiation skills ... my favourite frontface :)
    That feat might also be very useful for a sorcerer. It wouldn't really fit for a monk or paladin :D

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Bards rule.

There's nothing more to say.

(I also use my chick Bard for negotating. At least, when it's my choice, and someone didn't pick my paladin/monk instead...Doh!)

4. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Sometimes when you know that someone is gonna talk to you the moment something happens if you pause the game the moment you see him and select a character to go talk to him he won't talk to the first person he sees, doesn't always work though

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Actually Ragusa, while it may not be the Paladin or Monk's desire to pay less, the shopkeeper can do the same thing as some shopkeerer IRL do for cops, give them a discharge or for free. Not sure about the monk, but as far as the paladin goes, he's supposed to uphold justice and protect the innocent, which resembles the police :)

So it could be possible, only "mercantile background" then is a name that's a bit off. :D

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Let's put it that way: A paladin as a more combat oriented class has probably better uses for his feats to spend one on mercantile background while this feat fits much better for a support class like a mage, sorcerer or bard, use-oriented and roleplayingwise :D

[ September 28, 2002, 09:51: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

You've got me there Ragusa. :)

I won't go for mercantile background with any of my characters. I have a better use for those feats with all of my characters :D

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah, I thought about using the merchant background.

But I just gave myself 16 million gold, and went with another feat instead.

I hear two handed weapons totally rock later in the game. I think I'm at the turn-over point.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.