1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making a perfect party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Son of Moradin, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Son of Moradin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I´ve read all the topics trough under the fan: IWD2 and i haven´t encountered a topic descriping how to make the perfect party. THere are many saying how to maximize your Ranger/Rogue and stuff like that.

And then i thought, how do i make the perfect party? Wich chars and what feats and skills must i give them?

Maybe i sound stupid, and yes i´m new here, but please... How do I make the perfect party??? :confused:

Sorry the spelling i´m from Denmark!!!

[ March 13, 2003, 12:36: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Well be sure to include a cleric, a mage, a fighter and a thief, the rest are up to you.

Dont use ECL races if it is your first time playing.

Glad to have another Dane onboard ;)

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] There is no universal perfect party. In order for you to make your perfect party, you need to decide how you like to confront and overcome obstacles, then learn about the different classes and races so you can determine their strengths and weaknesses from your point of view.

4. Jesus666 Banned

I usually play a mage... cleric... druid... fighter(2).... and... maybe a ranger. Though you can always make dual-class characters. I find this to work well for me, though, perhaps you will find something better. The best thing about an RPG is... its really left in your hands.

5. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

A base party is: A fighter (barbarian,ranger,fighter,paladin), a healer(cleric,druid), a mage (sorcerer,wizard) and a thief (rogue).

The orther two character are your choose.

In my partys I put two fighters (a fighter/ranger and a barbarian), one healer (a cleric of tempus), one thief (a rogue/ranger) and two mages (a Sorcerer and wizard/fighter).

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Totally agree
    Style, style, it is your style that determines if a party is perfect. According to my style a perfect band of six is cleric (mask), sorcerer X 5, can you agree with that?

7. Jesus666 Banned

I think six drow mages would make a nice party hehe.

8. wckowalski Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You can likely get by with a multiclass thief for purposes of locks and traps. In fact, I have heard of many people using a thief(1)/wizard(x), because with another class you will need a high int anyway to get enough skill points. With this you should max out starting dex and int, put future points into int, and consider useing a drow or tiefling for the dex and int bonuses.

ECLs will not hamper your characters all that much later on, especially in HoF.

I agree you need either a cleric or druid for healing (clerics are better in that respect.) Also you need at least one wizard or sorcerer, possibly more (do not use more than one wizard or your second one won't get scrolls for many of the spells). You should also have at least 2 characters who can survive in mellee combat (clerics can suffice for this purpose often due to their d8 hit die and ability to wear heavy armor, but if you do this make sure they have high con.)

Except for wizards, do not raise int higher than is needed to get however many skill points you want that character to have (remember humans get 2 per level even with 3 int.)

Except for sorcerers, bards, paladins, clerics with whom you will be turning undead and anyone with whom you plan on using for talking to characters (a rouge would be good for this as all 3 dialog skills are class skills, and don't use a paladin or monk for this as they will sometimes force you to refuse rewards) more than the minimum cha.

9. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Three fighters, for proposal dwarves or two Fighters and one Barbarian, whom you can make Half-Orcish Babrarian2/Fighterx... After them one Cleric, what kit it's up to you... One Rogue, but he is a bit lacking, so why doncha make him Fighter or something... The last one is one Sorcerer or Wizard, again it's up to you... I just recommend you it will be Aasimar, Drow or Wild Elf for the Sorcerer, or Wood Elf and Human for Wizard

Personnally I'll play with four - Fighter/Battleguard of Tempus and Barbarian/Fighter, Fighter/Thief/Demarch of Mask and pure Sorcerer... Even three, because I don't need the Barbarian/Fighter, because the Fighter/Battleguard will also gain 10 levels as Barbarian... :)

10. Istari of Thay Banned

Perfect party?
    Oki...

fighter 4/barbarian X
    fighter 4/cleric X (preferably BoT)
    druid 22/ranger X (after lvl 22 you won't get any more spells or shapeshifts)
    rouge1/wizardX
    sorcerer X
    monk X

At least I liked it...
    It's perfectly balanced, and it uses multiclassing reasonably...
    Swept through HoF like peace of cake... ;)

Ofcourse, I also agree with BTA...
    This might not be the perfect party for you...
    Practice makes Istari of Th... ehh... perfect...

[ March 13, 2003, 18:17: Message edited by: Istari of Thay ]

11. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I haven't been on the Boards for a while, but here goes my perfect party:

1) Deep Gnome - Lawful Evil - Cleric of Mask 17/ Monk 13

2) Half-Orc - Neutral Evil - Thief 10 / Figher 9 / Barbarian 11

3) Drow Female - Chaotic Evil - Sorceress 19 / Cleric of Tempus 1 / Thief 10

Three chars for the party is enough.

12. Rekiller Gems: 5/31

My Perfect Party:

Halforc - Fighter 4/Brbarian 15/Ranger 1
    Tieflin - Monk 10/Rogue 10
    Wildelf - Sorcerer 17/Rogue 3
    Human - Cleric of Tempus 16/Fighter 4
    Drow - Ranger 10/Wizard 10
    Dwarf - Fighter 15/Barbarian 5

13. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Drow - Fighter
    Human - Ranger/Thief
    Deep Gnome - Cleric
    Half-Orc - Barbarian/Fighter
    Human - Sorcerer/Wizard
    Half-Elf - Druid

14. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

All-evil party Modja? :rolleyes: Because of the last evil guy? Personnally I'd play with:
    </font>
    1. Shield Dwarf - Fighter 16/Battleguard of Tempus 4/ Barbarian 10
    2. Strongheart Halfling - Fighter 11/ Rogue 11/ Demarch of Mask 8
    3. Aasimar - Sorcerer (pure)

15. Gaius Gems: 4/31

The perfect party is whatever works best for your playing style and character preference. Any combination of characters can succeed; it's not as though there are classes you absolutely *need* in order to make it through to the end. All classes and races bring something useful to the game, and it's ultimately your call on which "speaks" to you and seems attractive.
    What is more important than the perfect party composition is individual character composition. That is what will make the difference between success and failure. How you assign stats, distribute skills and allocate feats for each character, and how that relates to the whole of the party, is what matters more than what classes and races you have.

16. Felgash Toradûn Banned

Even though I'm a n00b at theese fabulous boards,
    I will allow myself to criticize this topic a little.

I don't want to sound like a echo, so I won't...
    ;) (Yay... My first smilie)

But there really isn't a "perfect party"...
    Anyway... A party I've played with, and wich worked for me, is:

Aasimar - Fighter4/Battleguard of TempusX
    Half Orc - Fighter4/BarbarianX
    Aasimar - Druid22/RangerX
    Tiefling - Rouge1/WizardX
    Aasimar - SorcererX
    Aasimar - SorcererX

Pretty good balanced; with heavy offensive spell casters (sorc, wiz and druid) a few buffer spells (cleric) and the pretty awesomwe tank (fig/barb)
    If you want, switching the druid with a Monk, might be a good idea...

Just a thought! :idea:

[ March 15, 2003, 23:57: Message edited by: Felgash Toradûn ]

17. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@Elan Morin Tedronai

- NO. I play evil because I like playing evil.

Besides, I HAVE to be evil to play the party I posted. Otherwise the multi's would not be possible.

18. Gaius Gems: 4/31

Right now, I'm on my second run through of the game, and both times have used quite different parties, and both have been successful.
    My first group was:
    Human Bard x/Fighter 2
    Human Battleguard Of Tempus (single class)
    Shield Dwarf Fighter/Barbarian (10/6 split, I believe)
    Human Rogue x/Ranger 1/Barbarian 2
    Lightfoot Halfling Wizard
    Wild Elf Ranger/Fighter (even split)
    They were a good group and played well. In retrospect, I would have given my Cleric different stats and build the Dwarf differently.

My current group is:
    Drow Sorcerer
    Duergar Stormlord Of Talos
    Half Orc Fighter 4/Barbarian x
    Tiefling Rogue 3/Druid x
    I'm actually finding the foursome to be far stronger and considerably more dangerous than the full 6. These guys plow through pretty much everything they've come across so far, with only one "brick wall" that took a few tries (for some reason, the Queen Remorhaz in the Ice Temple took a while to take down). I attribute the force of this party to the Sorcerer and the Half Orc.

19. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31

There's no PERFECT party to build, the party is like a polysoft, in the beginning you'll cry and scream but, with your guiding hands it will surely become a full fledged smooth machine that will sound like a playfull kitten...

PS Morninglords 0wnz0r!!!

20. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Surely there are many combinations, but I still think that playing with fewer chrs is a bigger challenge... Just like Icewind Dale 1 (well, not just like) where playing with less chrs made the game easier... :)My current party is with fewer because I mix quite well, the Fighter with the Cleric and Barbarian for my Frontliner and after him put one Fighter/Rogue/Demarch who is very useful for clearing bad guys...

Personnally I think that for 6 chrs you need: 3 Fighters, 1 Cleric, 1 Rogue and 1 Wizard or Sorcerer...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.