1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Magic swords.

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Dark Raven, May 26, 2003.

1. Dark Raven Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hello i'm new in this forum i really like your community so i joined hmm i think we should talk about weapons as magic maybe not very helpful.My weapon always was Long Sword +2 which is accurate and good i used some bows but i guess the not good enough only when you try kill high level monster by using hit and run technic lol there are many good swords scatered all over the land and i heard that +5 Sabre Defender of Drizzt can be possesed to and how or is it only cheated sword modified by trainers if you can get it it will be too asy to play i guess heh so i'd like to ask a question if you play as fighter or anyone and master of sword fighting what you think is your good sword and favourite one.I always play as Fighter/Thief because thief open locks and in most chests you get nice sweet stuff heh like in Beregost in one armoury shop :) of sorry i write little confused but i guess undestandible ;) so main point is what if your favorite weapon no matter if axe or any.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I tried to read your post but I got lost in the 200-words run-on sentence... Just some friendly advice: take the time to split what you post into paragraphs and proper sentences. Otherwise people will very likely just skip your post since hardly anyone wants to take the time to decypher what should be written clearly. You can edit your post by clicking on the "edit" button on your post.

Welcome aboard. ;)

3. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree with Taluntain.

But I think he was wondering if you could get Drizzts Scimitar of Defender without cheating.

And the answer is yes. Be prepared to loose some reputation though. And a pretty though fight.
    He wont go down easy =)
    But if you manage to kill him you´ll also get his chainmail and his other scimitar, Frostbrand.

Well worth the effort if you´re playing evil one of these days.

Almost forgot.
    Favorite weapon probably is that Longsword +2 with the extra cold damage bonus. Dont know why, but Longswords seems to be my favorite weapon in most games...

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm a big fan of Spidersbane -- it's a really cool looking 2 handed sword. Given that I usually play a fighter/cleric/mage, I also like the +2 warhammer that deals out extra electrical damage.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have that for my PC (fighter/cleric) which raises a question...one that I didn't want to devote a whole thread to.

Is hammer a good choice as a main weapon? Flail and morningstars seem to do more damage, and looking ahead to BG2, it takes forever to get the uber-hammer. Sorry this is off topic :yot:

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

If you´re planning to export the char to bg2 I´d go with flail or mace for starters. If not I´d go with the hammer.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @Mathetais

By the time you import into BGII, it won't matter. As a ranger/cleric, you can only spend two proficiency points per weapon, so by the time you import, you will be specialized in more than one type of weapon. When you import over, provided you are at least 6th level, you will have 6 proficiency points to distribute, plus you automatically get two proficiency points in "Two handed fighting style" just for being a ranger. If I were you, I'd give two points to flail, two points to war hammer, and two points to slings. I wouldn't specialize in mace, simply because so many other NPC's in BGII already weild maces (Minsc, Anomen, Aerie, Viconia). So my advice would be to use war hammers throughout BGI, and then weild flials in the beginning of BGII, switching back to war hammers at the end of the game.

8. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Cursed Sword +3 of Berserkery... or sorta
    Very nice sword... The bad thing is that you have to entangle Minsc after each battle, because he is gonna kill you... Well, you can save it for the last battle with Sarevok, but I don't think it's worth the risk... :)

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    well if you like 2handed swords +3, you can find an uncursed one in Durlag´s Tower..

I always have a number of swordfighters in the game, I get Frostbrand +3,
    Khalid gets Varscona +2
    and Minsc is wielding two 2handedswords (not at the same time, but it depends on what type of enemy) Spider´s Bane +2 and 2Handed Sword +3

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You know, I do not know many cool flails or maces in the original BG -- if I were you, I'd stick with the Hammer. As was mentioned, you'll get specialization in several weapons by the end of BG, let alone BG2 should you decide to export. IIRC, the hammer is also fairly fast compared to the bigger blunts.

In fact, IIRC, BG has specialization for a Fighter / cleric for blunt weapons, spiked weapons and ranged weapons. Use whatever has the biggest plus!

11. Frank Albanese Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I beg to differ on specializing in a hammer if your going to carry your character over to BG2, Cromy Faer (I’m not sure if that’s how it’s spelled) is one of the best weapons you can get in BG2.

Frank

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

It is, but as he said. At the time you get "Crom Faeyr" you´ll have enough ponits to be specialized in a couple of different weapons. Since you get Crom pretty late I´d use maces until I´d get it. Mace of Disruption +2 is a very neat weapon for example =)

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Hark, I hear moderators approaching! Let's stick with BG1 talk, with perhaps an occasional reference to exporting.

IIRC, my fighter/cleric/mage/ had two points in blunt weapons, two points in spiked, and one point in ranged by the end of BG (no Tales installed). So, like I said, wield whatever comes in handy at the time!

14. Volsung Gems: 14/31

My dwarven fighter has 5* to blunt weapons and 1* in axe. He still wields this Basillus' hammer. The "Ashideena".

Varscona(the +2 longsword) is nice and I finally found the +3 non-cursed 2handed sword.

Does anyone know where to find the +2 returning throwing axe?

15. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

Throwing Axe +2 - Damage: 1D6 + 3, THAC0: +2, damage type (melee): slashing, damage type (thrown): missile (piercing). Special: Returns to users hand once thrown. Found on Prat in the Candlekeep Catacombs.

(you can always try the BG Encyclopaedia for stuff like this)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  16. Bassilus Banned

*casual small talk*

So, uhh, Eltan! How exactly did you kill Drizzt without cheating, mmm? :D

[ June 12, 2003, 13:47: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.