1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Magic missiles

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Edhelras, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Edhelras Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi,

I'm in fact playing ToEE for the first time, and was surpised to find how fun it is with the turn-based system.

I've got an old game, probably from the original release or something, and I've patched it using the patch found on this site. I have patch #2 and patch#3 as far as I remember, plus the unofficial patch. I'm currently exploring the 1st lvl of the ToEE.

When I reached lvl 6, a problem arose: When my wizard is casting Magic Missiles (so far I've only tried it targetting a single creature with all 6 missiles for his level), the game crashes.

Any suggestions?

As it stands, the game is as good as broken for me. A wizard not able to cast Magic Missiles.... pfft.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Official Patch #3 may be the problem. IIRC, the unofficial Co8 patch has to be installed on top of official patch 2 only.

Another thing: are you using the latest version of the Co8 patch (v5.5.0)? It's not been out for long, so there may be issues with it that haven't been addressed and may be fixed soon. Checking on the Co8 boards may be a good idea.

3. Edhelras Gems: 1/31

Hm. I did patch the game quite recently, only a few weeks ago. And I cannot remember exactly if I installed #3 as well - I think I might have, because I saw that it was supposed to fix the "unable to loot" issue.
    Maybe I should try to uninstall, reinstall, patch to #2 and the unofficial, and see what happens?
    Are there any older and more tried variants of the unofficial patch available?

Thanks for the response, it's great to find an active forum for a game so old!

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Welcome to the boards! And if you think this game is old, you'll be amazed at some of the game discussions we have on here :)

Here's the Co8 patch page with information on how the patch works. They only seem to have the latest version (5.5.0 beta), but the previous version (5.0.0 final) is still available here on SP. Co8 do mention that patch 3 and the Co8 mod cause problems when together, so your best bet is to reinstall the game, patch with official #2, then with Co8 5.5.0 and see if this works. The Co8 mod contains the same fix as patch 3 anyway, so you wouldn't be missing out on anything. If after this you're still experiencing problems, reinstall the whole thing and use 5.0.0 instead.

Official patch 2 is on SP as well if you're having trouble finding it. This same page has the "Temple of Elemental Evil Unofficial Patch", which I believe is an old unofficial patch that got integrated into the Co8 one.

5. Edhelras Gems: 1/31

Right, thanks a lot for those links!

On a side note, I was turned off by the turn-based system when I first bought ToEE, being as I was on the look-out for another BG/BG2 game.
    Then, after years of playing NWN1, I finally started looking into PnP DnD, and got all absorbed by it. I know many hardcore CRPG players come from PnP, but for me it was the other way around.
    So, now, it's just so great to be able to play a turn-based CRPG, and one trying to stick to 3.5 rules on top of that. It really creates so many fun situations, and makes the opportunities you have for your character much more useful.

Not least the "dying and loosing hitpoints or stabilizing" thingy. In NWN2 (which is and remains my favorite game), you just fall to ground unconscious, and recovers by yourself. Clerics are almost redundant. Whereas in my ToEE party, I have a healer with really good Heal skill, but also my other party members have some heal skill to be able to try to save dying comrades.
    The ability to target Magic missiles at several monsters is also great, and something that just isn't possible to do in the fast-flowing semi-turn-based games.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Enjoy TOEE while you can. It is a great game (thanks CO8), but we are unlikely to ever see one like it again.

7. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

ToEE engine in a game with an interesting plot and more than one super long redundant dungeon would be gaming heaven.

8. erkper2 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Watch for the Keep on the Borderlands mod coming soon from Co8. In fact, the Demo is already available, and already features IMO a much more developed and immersive game world even in the rather short demo form. This mod will rock when completed!

9. pinkvishnu Gems: 1/31

I had this problem too; for some reason, the patch makes you cast 1 magic missile per level, not per two levels, and the game freaks out when you go past the normal maximum of five. Luckily, there's an easy fix. After you've clicked the number of magic missiles you would normally have (for example, 4 for my level 7 sorcerer) hit the green button over the caster's portrait, that says something like "cast currently selected." It will cast only the missiles you have targeted, and leave the rest uncast. Of course, you could always cast all five, starting at level 5, and the game wouldn't crash, but I prefer the only cast what my sorc would normally have access to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.