1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mages vs invisibility

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Enthasius, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Bah, I wanna know why mages always know that your in the area when you go invisible or go stealthly. They always cast true sight as soon as your in the area, so unless your quick, you'll be spotted. Anyone care to explain why? :flaming: :flaming: :wail:

[This message has been edited by Enthasius (edited March 06, 2002).]

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] You need to have a higher "Move Silently" percentage. "Hide in Shadows" is not enough.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont think that is completely true Big B. I have had thieves with 150+ in move silently and all mages still cast true sight, all the time. They *know* that you are coming. Probably some lame script :(

4. [​IMG] Easy enough to get around. walk into the area, wait for the mage to start casting. Then walk back out of the area, wait for the spell to end, and repeat if nesicarry(sp?).

[edit] As to why they are able to do that, joacqin is probably right..bad scripting. [/edit]

[This message has been edited by DeBhaal Stasion (edited March 07, 2002).]

5. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well if you could sneak up on any mage in the game, the game wouldn't be much of challenge because 9 out 10 tough fights are against spellcasters.

6. Fru Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] There's a better alternative to walking into and out of the area... If you go to the Den of Seven Vales in Waukeen's Promenade, you can grab a cloak of non detection, which renders you immune even to true sight. A must have for assassins.

7. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Your wrong my friend, that non-detection cloak does not work against true sight, it only works against low level dectection spells, like detect invisibility.

8. Fru Gems: 2/31

Heh, yes, I just realised my mistake while playing five minutes ago. Oh well.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What? Did they change the properties of the cloak at some point? I used the cloak successfully many times with a hidden in shadows Archer against Mages casting True Sight (the spell effect is the eye drawn above their head right?).

10. Yeah BTA, thats the one for True Sight. I think it only doesnt work if you try to go invisible while in sight of the mage, I know its happened to my mage/assassin.

11. Lord Sarevok Guest

Bah, what's the casting on that spell anyway? 8? By the time they've finished the incanation my posioned blade has already been plunged in their back :evil:.

Well, groups of mages don't fall as easily, but that's what those lovely area of effect spells are for!

Also, as Invisibility IS an illusion, people can probably sense you, just the fact that your invisible prevents them from doing anything about it, so if a Mage or Priest had the spell memorized I don't see why he wouldn't cast it.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited March 17, 2002).]

12. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I agree with Sarevok, if you go for backstabbing True Sight won't probably be a problem for you. After all, you are going to leave the shadows anyway.

But if you really don't want to be spotted, a thief/mage could use Spell Immunity: Divination to become really invisible.

Or if you are a straight Assassin, with Use Any Item you will be able to cast that spell by yourself now and then.

13. Well, I noticed that when you cast improved invisibility and the mage starts casting true sight, you hit them and that fails their spell. That means they can't target you with spells and you can continue hitting them because they can only fight back. Usually you need to be really quick to do that.

14. White Storm Gems: 2/31

Yeah but then you get 2 crtical misses and poof the spell is cast... and then you think... oh crap :)

15. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

That's why I'm planning to create (with Shadowkeeper, of course... I don't have all _that_ time to waste) a 6 assassins party.

Just imagine what it feels like seeing the most deadly enemy turned into an abstract painting by 6 blades in the back :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.