1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mages or Fighters

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by SparkTheGreat, Aug 16, 2001.

1. SparkTheGreat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] For ages I've been trying to work out which is better but i cant decide..

Could someone give me some help?

Spark

2. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] It depends wat you want.

Fighter-Tough and can charge without thought.

Mage-Support for your fighters. If in melee slaughtered in seconds.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

You need them both in a party, the mage for dispel, damaging a whole party with a fireball for example, etc. The fighter is necessary for the one on ones with enemy fighters, to protect the mage from him. You always need a pure fighter and a mage in your party. When you can't decide what to play with your main character, then why not play them both? Create a fighter/mage, it's great to play with it and they are very good.

4. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

be human fighter with at least 16 intelligence then at lvl 5 dual class to a specilist mage and u will get the 2 lvl 4 spells andwith the ring of wizardrey u will have 10 first four or five 2nd lvl with the amulet of metaspell and i dont remember about 3rd lvl sorry oh and when u become a lvl 1 mage your health will carry over starting u with 50 - 60 hp so that u can get about 65 - 70 hp by the end of the game

heres the stats of the person i created
    s:18/97
    d:18
    c:18
    i:16
    w:3
    ch:15

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I doubt that it is a good choice to chreate a char with wis-3 due to the fact that he will be very vulnerable to attacks using mind affecting spells. So be prepared that he will get stunned, held and charmed frequently ....

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Fighters tend to be stronger at lower levels and mages at higher level. Mages are a little hard to play because you need to understand spells and the when & how to use them. With a fighter you can simple charge into the conflict and trade blows.

To have a sucessful party you need both classes so I don't really matter which you play. The game has good NPCs of both type. But in my opinion the fighter NPCs are a little better so I'd go with a Mage (not that I didn't play a Paladin myself).

7. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

In my primitive understanding, the classes follow the generic difficulty/power thing that's in all games.
    Mages rule the world, but all the memorizing spells, knowing when to use what spell is tricky.
    Fighters aren't as good but any moron (me) can use them.

8. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ironbeard I will join you on being a fighter (moron mentality) With mages I tended to like to use direct fire weapons Magic Missile, Melfs acid, fire arrows... while my fighter went up and pounded them.

9. davycop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually, a WISDOM of 3 is not a problem. In AD&D, a low wisdom gives you a penalty when you make saving throws against charm etc etc but in BG, the rule wasn't implemented. I am not sure if it is implemented in BG2 though.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

small BG2 spoiler inside!

it is, and when you export your character to Baldurs Gate 2, you will have big problems with the Mindflayers... Maybe you could better have given him a wisdom of 10, and a lower dexterity, and then just use the Gauntlets of Dexterity to raise that to 18....

11. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

**IF** I remember correctly, aren't there 3 different Tomes to raise Wisdom lying around the Sword Coast.... I think there are.... So you could start with the "3" and wind up with a "6"..... Not as simple as a "3" and that can be augmented when needed with Potions of Insight.

A "3" Wisdom can work.. I have done the same type of thing with Intelligence - an "uberMinsc" type of character... Only problem there, he can't find his way out of a paper bag maze/path-wise.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Yeah but I learned it isn't cool to have a mega power character with as stats: Strength Dexterity and Constitution on 18 en Wisdom and Intelligence on 3. It is powerful yes, but I also try to have a view of my character how he would be in a fantasy story or movie. I take for example Lord of the Rings again, and combine it a little bit with D&D. Now, think about one of your heroes in the book. Take Faramir, Aragorn, Boromir, Eowyn, Gandalf, Frodo, Eomer.. choose one!. (Well Gandalf as a mage should need a very good Intelligence and he had but his Wisdom was even higher.) Imagine how he/she would have been when it would we like many BG characters are.

I take Faramir for example: He had high Dexterity for he was master with the bow. His strength was also good, and his Charisma was incredible high. But imagine that he would have a wisdom and intelligence that we in D&D would give the mark: 3. Imagine what would happen then? (Faramir then surely had taken te ring) and else... well, I think you can imagine something funny (or not funny) by yourself.

Or think about Aragorn with Wisdom and Intelligence of 3.

The company is with the Elven boats on the Anduin and now they see the great statues of Argonath.

Aragorn: (with a dumb voice :) Huh? Bwahahahahha look at that dolls. They look a little bit like me bwahahahaha. That is kinda cool huh!

And then I didn't even talk about Gandalf with Wisdom of 3.

Ok I hope you get my point :) When Tolkien also give only 18's or higher to strength, dexterity etc, and didn't care about wisdom and intelligence, the producers of Lord of the Rings, the Movie, would have chosen really other actors. Austin Powers then would be an excellent one to play Aragorn, Mini-me could then be Frodo and Leslie Neillson as Faramir..... :)

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Headbanger, I agree with your point totally! The problem is that to many gamers are power gamers. These metagamers think that having high stats is the answer to everything. In their minds it's not about a character, a story, or a concept it about "how much damage can I do?" These metagamers missed the point that gaming is about experiences, interaction and imagination. Since they fall short in these idea the only thing they have to express the value of their character are the numbers.

I'm not trying to offend anyone but metagameing is the best problem with RP. Or should I say to many people metagame and think its good RP. I guess gaming should be about having fun and if power gaming is fun for you who am I to say anything, but it does depress me.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Maybe it isn't that bad.... For I suppose the people who create such characters already have an intelligence of 3 :)

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

And count me in. My best PnP character now also played BG-series is an 8th level mage with

Str: 10
    Dex: 13
    con: 11
    Int: 14
    Wis: 16
    Cha: 13

AND HE WORKS JUST FINE!!! Stop beeing a whimp about those 18 [sOv]Storm! :mad: :p

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 29, 2001).]

16. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Headbanger, good point!

Nobleman, is that mage 2E or 3E in his PnP version? For 3E those are good stats and for 2E they work just fine. If you had the chance to arrange to taste I would have put the 16 in INT, not WIS but that's just me. He is fine as is.

17. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I will admit that i often thought that high stats are nice but you can make do with any set if you try had enough and pick a class to mach your stats. allways thought that was a better Idea than the other way around if you ar working with fixed stats, Face it in real life people witout a high str. probably wouldnt have become a front line fighter.

18. Sol'Kanar Guest

The problem with having a 14 int with a mage is that he won't be able to cast any spells higher than level 4 in 3E.

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

He says he plays the char in BG also, so with that the stats are good.

20. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

They are just 2nd edition stats. When I made him I wanted him to be an average mage. His 16 in wisdom gives him a better save Vs. Mind magic. Since the group I am a player in (PnP) is only a Cleric and a Ranger/cleric we can't loose any players to Hold and confusion spells. The average wisdom in our group is 16.3 (the three wise guys from Bethlehem). He can't cast more than 6th level spells, but in pen and paper the Leveladvancement is much slower than the CRPG. He started as 5th and is almost 9th now. I have played him in 10 years.

My point is, it's all about having fun. Get High stats or low stats I don't care. Just have fun. Try to start two BG1 games simoustain.. simotain..simutai... At the same time. One with a fighter and one with a mage. In a day or two You will have found the class that suits You. PS I never could decide so I play an elven F/M/T

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 30, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.