1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mage or fighter

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by bongo tjockskalle, Jul 12, 2001.

1. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I played torment last autumn but never had the chance to finish it. I loved the atmosphere but only got about a quarter into the game.

Since time is limited I dont want to replay for an eternity but want the most of the experience.

I am about to install it once again on my computer but I would like to have your opinions on what way to take through the game in order to get the best experience.

So, is mage the way to go or should I cleave my oponents like a fighter.

bongo

2. ClammyRyu Gems: 3/31

Play fighter first.
    Then, Play mage.
    If time allows, play thief.
    You'll thank me later!

3. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

I had planned to play fighter during the first parts, otherwise I would get raving mad at being killed by every little thug :)
    and then change to mage when I reached level 6 as a fighter and continue being a mage until I can rain death upon those tha oppose me :D

I´ve heard that being a mage fits better in a 'rpg' way of playing

4. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm in the middle of replaying the game as a mage(though that is on hold with ToB out and new), but I can't see what you mean by the mage being better in a roleplaying sense.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In order to get the best XP - you'll play sometime as a fighter, sometime as a mage.

This game allows you to be three classes parallely, and you'll just switch them as you like.

6. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

IMO you could play fighter in the beginning to obtain more HP, then go for a mage. There are really great spells in this game.

7. Zaragoth Guest

I say that you do as most people here tells ye. Fighter then Mage, that worked best for me at least...

8. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I've played through as both straight mage and straight fighter and mage is definetly more challenging but also more fun and interesting. You have high intelligence wisdom for the mage and so get a lot more diaolg options = more exp. Fighter is just hack'n'slash. The only conversations are likely "hello. Do you have any money? Good. Now Die" which is annoying when you find you killed someone impoortant to the main quest.

P.S. If you play mage you get to see some of the best spell effects i've seen in an rpg.

[This message has been edited by Lazy Bonzo (edited July 31, 2001).]

9. Beto Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Just finished the game as a fighter; this is my favorite mode of play, as might makes right :D
    BUT, watching Dakkon and FFG cast spells later in the game caused magic user envy big time, so mage (asap) is next.

10. Ladonna Gems: 3/31

where do you train to become a mage?

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I believe there are a few places but I got my training early on in Ragpicker's Square by an old woman whose name has slipped my mind. She lives in a hut in the center of Ragpicker's Square and you have to talk to her and do some little quests for her before she trains you.

12. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think mage-type stats give you the best game even if you want to play a fighter. Since the game is so dialogue ruled, you REALLY want the options high intelligence and wisdom give you. I'm playing a fighter but I set up my character statistics as if I was playing, well, Aerie. It's worked really well for me so far.

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited August 11, 2001).]

13. Dragoon Gems: 3/31

I think it's generally harder to play as a mage, at least early in the game. I nejoyed it much more as a fighter. However I had some people to train me to both thief and mage so that I could get some nice daggers and spells from characters I met later in the game. I simply switched my class for a moment whenever class training possibility occured.

I disagree with the statement that fighters get less dialog options. I developed my Int and Wis together with other skills and I think I got all the dialog options (though I could not get Dak'kon to understand the two last stories of the circle before I got to Abyss and got those Wis enchancing bugs). And the only fighter skill that really suffered upon development of Wis&Int was my Constitution. Tattoos helped me with other skills hence I was both strong and quick enough to cut a mage in half before he finished his incantations while also bright enough not to get in a fight at all :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.