1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Low level Horrors!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I just started a new game with a pure thief as my main char. Now used to my incincible powergaming chars from BG-2 and IWD, the return to BG was a SHOCK for me.
    My main char, a halfling thief, had 7 hitpoints and got killed by a gibberling!!! Even my other char, a gnomish illusionist-cleric had 8 hitpoints! After four realoads and after having been killed by gibberlings and wolves I decided to add a dwarven fighter to draw the enemies from my weaker chars ..... gosh ! :D :mad: ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited March 08, 2002).]

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It is a shock. I just replayed BG1 for the first time in years and felt so limited. My character is also a halfling (fighter/thief). I found out I had to do a lot of running at the beginning.

3. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I have just gone to BG1 after nearly completing TOB. To be honest the being killed by gibberlings is not what bothers me, it is the fact that dual weilding is no longer availible. And i am playing a Ranger!

4. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think that it's good to feel weak after ToB with your first level mage!

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Nothing like a good stick up the bum to help you realise the truth to BGII... You start off with a tweenie in BGI!

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Definitely. However, I have now formed my final party, consisting of halfling thief, gnomish illusionist-thief, dwarven fighter and halfling fighter-cleric - all about 15.000 xp at the moment and I come along now. Partly the fights are still pretty hefty, but since I can buy the best items only for my party (IMO small party size allows optimum use of funds) the dificulty is ok.
    • My thief has the shadow armor, gridle of piercing, ring of infravision, shortbow +1, and Varscona.
    • The dwarven fighter has the warhammer +2 (***), throwing axes, ankheg plate mail (from Nashkel) and a large shield (cannot afford a +1 shield yet :( ).
    • The gnomish illusionist thief has a shortsword +2, ring of protection +1, ring of wizardry, buckler and the rogues robe, boots of avoidance and boots of speed (change them until her stealth is sufficient).
    • Finally my fighter-cleric has a plate mail, ring of protection +1, flail +1, sling +1, helm of infravision and boots of grounding, shield +1.
    So the pure low level shock is over but I have to be much more careful with these chars than I had to be in BG-2; they still are pretty fragile and the low number ofs mage and cleric spells on this low level is something I have to get used too first :heh:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited March 10, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  7. Eldros Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The only thing that really scared me after playing BG2 and going back to BG1 again was my level 1 mage...a single spell and his usefullness for the day was done, save for the times when I put him behind a fighter and swung at something with a staff...the limit on the number of spells per day makes it slightly more difficult (thank Mystra for the ring of wizardry, eh?)

8. ArchAngel Guest

I was surprised how easy bg1 was. I remembered it much harder!?

Minsc armored up in close combat.
    Khalid, Imoen, My ranger, Jaheira and Dynaheir as artellery.

Like a walk in Waterdeep gardens.
    :heh:

9. sorvo Guest

Try out the "harder patch" from teambg and let me know if you still think it's easy:)

10. ArchAngel Guest

It all depends on Minsc surviving with full plate, Gauntless of dexterity, ring of protection etc... Low AC. lots of healing potions.

Can he do that in the "harder" patch"? Speaking of which where is this BG1 patch? My link at TeamBG custom files doesn't work.

11. sorvo Guest

I downloaded it off "DSotSC General Discussions" forums, and yes Minsc can do that:)

[This message has been edited by sorvo (edited April 08, 2002).]

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

You can just change the difficulty to core rules or hard in de configuration. At least at normal settings, the game isn't too hard to play with a thief only party :)

So Ragusa, did you enjoy playing the thief/illusionist? I played solo with it some parts of maps....

13. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Me too. Illusionist thief is a pretty cool class but lacks hitpoints :( Anyway, once I got mage level 4 and the ring of wizardry life became easier ... they should have left the ring of wizardry unchanged in BG-2 :evil: ;)

14. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i know, ive been playing bg2 till my discs broke and now im back to number 1, and im getting killed br frickin kobalds..lol

15. Silverblade Guest

It doesn't matter what you fight or how many HP you have, what matters is if it is a challenge or not. Fighting a gibberling can be just as much fun as fighting a dragon, as long as it is a challenge.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.