1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lost Keycodes, Can Bioware help?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] I broke out the NWNs, it's been a long time and a different PC since I tried this game. But, oh crap, no manuals. Lost in the move 3 yrs ago. And that means no keycodes either. I have NWN and SoU. How do I get them to work? Is this something Bioware can give me?

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If you have a Bioware account and have associated those keys with it, they might be able to help (doubt it though). Otherwise you're out of luck :bad:

Oh wait there is another way... NWN saves your keys in one of its configuration files... it might have been nwn.ini itself. If you still have a backup of the file (I always do before changing stuff in there) that should have your keys in it.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sure they can help you -- but I imagine they'll charge you more than the $21.99 you can get the NWN Diamond for from Amazon (after going there from the SP link of course). You can even find it for $14.95 from one of the featured merchants.

With Diamond you get NWN, SoU, HotU and three premium modules.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    If you don't have HotU then I'd suggest getting it as well. Although you may take your time and look for better deals.

HotU is probably the best part of NWN and if you haven't played it before then you should play it now (not to mention the number of free modules you can get for NWN with HotU).

It depends if you're going back to NWN for the long run (playing through the different OCs and user made modules) or if you're just taking it out for a spin.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nope, no longer on my pc. I uninstalled them a long time ago. My next question will show my inexperience with pcs. :o When you originally install the game, does it leave any type of identifying file in the Registry that Bioware could use. Or a file that would have the keycodes? Or do they get removed when you run the uninstall program? I hate messing around in the Registry, but I would rather try that 1st than buying a new game...

6. Caradhras

Media:
    If you don't modify anything it's not that big a deal. It's worth a shot anyway. All you have to do is run "regedit" and do a quick search for NWN or neverwinter that should bring up some registry keys, now I have no idea if those are going to help. I've tried on my machine and I couldn't find anything that looked like those keys. As far as I can remember it seems to me that you have to type in the CD keys every time you reinstall the game. I'd assume that if the registry kept track of your CD keys you wouldn't have to enter them again.

7. Blades of Vanatar

That's what I was thinking Caradhras, but I was hoping one of you guys was a super-duper pc genius and had a very easy and obvious solution. Wishful thinking on my part. :) I have messed with the Registry in the past, fixing install issues with BG games, getting rid of certain keys that are recommended on Bioware's site to completely unistall the games. But that is the limit of my knowledge in the Registry.

Looks like I will purchase a copy of the NWN Diadmond then. I have a nice, hefty gift card sitting around from Xmas for Barnes & Noble, too bad I can't buy PC games through them. I'll have to look into it online then. Maybe I'll even use the SP store!

8. Blades of Vanatar

Well, I purchased NWN Diadmond thru SP yesterday. Hopefully it will run smoothly. I have another question.

If I download this on my current PC, an XP system, will I still be able to download the same discs to my next PC using the same keycode? Or should I wait to download it to the new PC? I hit BIG on the Super-Bowl blocks and will definitely be buying a new PC in the coming month. :money:

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've transferred my NWN game to several computers over the years. Do you have disks or is just the electronic download? If it's electronic, make a disk.

10. Blades of Vanatar

I ordered it yesterday, I would assume it is disks.

11. Ziad

Media:
    NWN1 has no online activation or anything like that (and with the latest patch has no copy protection of any kind) so you can install it as many times as you want on as many computers as you want. Also IIRC the premium modules that ship with the Diamond edition are pre-activated as well, so once again no need for internet activation and no limits.

12. Blades of Vanatar

Excellent news Ziad. I can download as soon as it arrives then. Thanks!

13. Caradhras

Media:
    Well Blades enjoy some good old dungeon crawling when you get them. Make sure you try some of the fan made modules on the NWN Vault. There was a series by a Frenchman which was translated in English, the Bastard of Kostigan iirc it was really good. If you're into stranger stuff check the Hexcoda module and don't miss Darkness ove Daggerford. ;)

14. Blades of Vanatar

I was reading a little about the Daggerford mod, looks good! Looks like there is alot stuff added/created for NWN, I am looking forward to trying it again. It's been a few years and I barely played it to begin with. Is there a recommended character editor, like Shadowkeeper & Dalekeeper, that can be downloaded?

15. Caradhras

Media:
    There is the Leto editor iirc. I never got it to work in my games though.

16. Blades of Vanatar

I'll have to search around, thanks anyway Carad. I usually dislike the point buy system for creating characters. It makes all of your characters the same, what a bore. It would be nice to have a character that is well rounded or extreme in one area w/out having alot of penalties in another. Not super-uber characters, but a few points either way would go nicely to mix it up some.

17. Caradhras

Media:
    3E gives you points every three levels iirc so you can't have both. There are many good modules and the good thing is that they are free and if you go for the most popular rather well documented. You still have the OC, SoU and HotU that will keep you busy for a while. ;)

18. Ziad

Media:
    Woops! I thought you said discs, that's why I said there was no copy protection. If you're getting a digital copy from somewhere I've no idea if they will have their own activation system. Better check this before you install anything.

Darkness Over Daggerford is an awesome module, much better than any of the official stuff IMO. The only things I didn't like about it were the base NWN engine (nothing they could do about that obviously) and that the story turns out to not be as interesting as I thought it would be. Everything else - quests, writing, exploration, encounters - is top notch. There are some very challenging fights in there too, though the toughest ones are optional.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Ok, so when I load the base game, then all the expansions, then Darkness over Daggerford, does the Darkness over Daggerford mod not accept the changes made by the expansions?

20. Ziad

Media:
    Sorry, that's not what I meant. By "base" I mean the Aurora engine, with or without expansion. When you install the Diamond edition you don't get a choice not to install the expansions anyway, everything gets installed in one go. Any module you install afterwards will make use of all the expansion changes to the engine and to the spells, classes and so on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.