1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looping music problem

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by revmaf, Feb 14, 2007.

1. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I've played BG off and on for several years - roughly since it came out - and despite patches and upgrading to TotSC the game periodically starts repeating a portion of one of the musical themes over and over and OVER - just a few notes.

I can get it to stop by saving the game - which stops the music altogether - but I wondered if others have this problem and if there is a better way to solve it.

It's no barrier to playing the game but it's REAL annoying if you're in the middle of a battle or around monsters or in some other situation where you can't save to shut the thing up.

2. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I never had this problem until I got a copy of The Original Saga. Maybe it's a bug limited only to this edition or something...?

3. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BG2 and IWD do it too. It is annoying, but it has never done anything to my games, saves or otherwise. I think the reasons for the music is simply because the games are based so heavily on variables. Anything that you do, or an NPc does, or an enemy does will cue up various music scores. But because the "behind the scene" number rolls happen so much faster than the music can be filtered out, one track fades out and another track fades in during non-combat situations. With combat, though, music can suddenly kick in, but I have noticed that somethings the music will not start at the beginning. This is due, I believe, to the fact that the previous track may take a few seconds to stop first before the other track can start.

Hope that helps.

4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I'm relieved to hear others have this problem, too, since some of the problems I have on these games are related to the computer I play them on. This one isn't, apparently.

Like Von'Meyer I've never had a problem with gameplay or saves related to this - it doen't freeze up or crash or corrupt a saved game, it's just annoying. V'M's explanation makes sense to me - so maybe this is one little quirk to learn to live with.

Thanks for the responses, SP-ers.

5. Ihiban Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've had this bug also.

It happens to me mostly when combat ends and I instantly go to record page/inventory and back to the game. Pausing the game before that might also have something to do with that.

It probably has something to do with that end-of-combat music clip not playing correctly and, like Von'Meyer said, the variables.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.