1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for new material...

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Barmy Army, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've started a new shift at work, working weird hours including nights, and there's loads of time where I've got nothing to do. I've been reading quite a bit, but now I need some new stuff.

It needs to be stuff that's pretty easy to read as at say 2am in the morning it's pretty hard to concentrate. I've picked up a few Dean Koontz recently, but whilst his books are easy to read, I find them a bit 'cashing in' on his name really, and without much substance.

Can anyone recommend anything for me? Cheers

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I found the "Black Company" books by Glen Cook to be an easy, entertaining read.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LeCarre -- The Spy Who Came in From the Cold; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Higgins -- The Eagle Has Landed

Steinbeck -- Of Mice and Men

Hemmingway -- The Old Man and the Sea

I think all of these are very captivating to read.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can add my support for the Black Company books now reading the last omnibus and I have found them very enjoyable.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Have you read the Bernard Cornwell Saxon books? I can't remember. If so, there is a new one, The Burning Land and it's just excellent. If you haven't read them, start with The Last Kingdom. You won't be sorry.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    The Black Company it is! I'll just have to find it now, cheers.

Thanks for those other suggestions too Bruno. I think we read and did a case study on 'Of Mice and Men' at school. Quite a sad ending if I remember right.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 12 seconds later... ----------

Oh, Chandos, I have indeed. Bernard Cornwell is one of my fave's. I love his Agincourt books about Thomas Hook. Very quick pace, and I have a genuine interest in that era of our history.

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It's not bad. But I only read the first one, so the rest might be better. I give it *** 1/2 stars out of 5. Better than average, but not by much....

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    That's not inspiring. Outside of Cornwell what would you recommend? (I've read all Cornwell's - the level of research he puts into his source material is what makes them I think, quality)

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Oh, the BC is not bad, and it is a short, fast read. I would still recommend it. A better book would be The Return of the Crimson Guard, by Ian Esslemont. Very good book. ****1/2 out of 5 for that one. :)

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Is that set in the 'Malazan' world, or is a different animal altogether?

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... you could always try The Best of Penthouse Forum ... :D

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It is set in the Malazan world. The action takes place before some of the other books by Erikson. This one is like the very best of Erikson, only different because of the writing style which is much more direct and paced a bit faster.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Coo, provided it's not as confusing as Eriksson I should enjoy it. Eriksson just lost me totally at times, and I like to be able to understand what's going on.

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 7 seconds later... ----------

Would you recommend starting at Return of The Crimson Guard then? As that seems to be the 2nd in the series.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Don't cast off the Black Company books so fast. I really liked them and can re-read them if I ever don't feel like starting something new.

Also, Glen Cook (the BC author) writes a tongue-in-cheek fantasy investigator series called the Garrett Files which are fun and easy reads as well.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is not really and Esslemont's work isn't really stand alone from Erikson's. They are a compliment and I would even say that they are part of the same story Crimson Guard on a paralell timeline. If you did not enjoy Erikson's Malazan books I doubt you would enjoy Night of Knives or Return of the Crimson guard because it is basically more of the same. Night of Knives is a prequel to the entire Malazan series.

The Black Company books are pretty much the direct inspiration for the Malazan books just a bit simpler, more straightforward and older. I like older fantasy because even if it isn't nescessarily better it tends to be more imaginative and original. The genre was more experimental way back when.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, to be honest Night of Knives is not that important to the plot of TRotCG, and it is a much weaker book. NoK is really a short, fast read, but not as good as TRotCG. If you read Deadhouse Gates, it takes place just after the rebellion of the Seven Cities. By comparision NoK takes place on the night of Laseen's takeover of the Empire. But it's not as good as the subject would seem to suggest. Still, it has its moments.....

17. joacqin

Media:
    I was also a bit disapointed with Night of Knives, could be due to high expectations. The upside to that is that my expectations for Crimson Guard were fairly low which made it all the more enjoyable.

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I loved TRotCG, and I almost want to give it 5 out of 5 stars. :hmm:

19. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Le Carré is great at keeping you awake. I'd add Absolute Friends, The Night Manager, The Mission Song and A Most Wanted Man to T2Bruno's excellent list!

I'd also recommend novels by Neil Gaiman especially Neverwhere and American Gods. You won't snooze while reading these books.

20. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Thomas Harris' novels Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs are in that middle ground, imo, if you like crime stuff. Hannibal is a little (lot) out there though and I wouldn't recommend it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.