1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Linsanity

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Feb 17, 2012.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I am surprised that no one has started this sooner. The amazing debut of Jeremy Lin, savior of the Knicks, and all of the racial issues that go with it has been astonishing.

How is it that this guy was not recruited by any 1-A schools and was basically passed by every pro team and scout? You know race is an issue, but he's now the feel-good story of the whole NBA season. He owns NY, which is amazing in and of itself.

Give him some time to calm down on his turn overs and he can be something special.

(I love the idea of a Harvard grad tearing up the NBA, just love it.)

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, some points here. Race is an angle to this story for sure. If he wasn't Asian, it wouldn't be such a big deal. If he didn't graduate from Harvard, this wouldn't be such a big deal. Heck, if wasn't playing in New York, this wouldn't be such a big deal.

There are a couple of other points I'd like to bring up though - like how they say he wasn't even a scholarship athlete when he played at Harvard - thus suggesting he wasn't considered a very good player. Harvard, just like all the other Ivy League schools, doesn't give athletic scholarships. So it's quite likely he could have received an athletic scholarship going somewhere else, but he chose to go to Harvard.

I do find it somewhat humorous that professional basketball is one of very few arenas where graduating from Harvard would actually close more doors than it opens. (Fun fact - I saw on ESPN that fewer Harvard grads have played in the NBA (3) than have been elected president (8)). If he got into Harvard he's smart. Perhaps he made a long term decision that graduating from Harvard would offer more future opportunities to him than going to a bigger name college on a basketball scholarship. Let's face it, most people don't make it to the NBA - even if you're a very good college player. But graduating from Harvard absolutely will open doors for you, and isn't too bad of a Plan B.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    He wasn't offered any scholarships, so if he went to a Division 1-A school he would have had to walk on to the team and try to earn a scholarship after year 1.

As long as he wasn't offered an athletic scholarship, well, he definitely made the right choice.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Did you see the snafus caused by ESPN on Friday night?

After losing to the Rockets on Friday, in which Lin didn't play particularly well, the headline on ESPN.com read "A Chink in the Armor?" Well, as a "Chink" is a not-so-complimentary term to describe someone of Asian descent, this caused quite a stir. ESPN apologized profusely and said it was unintentional. I didn't see the headline at the time it was published (and it was taken down within an hour) - but I can believe it was an honest mistake.

5. dmc

Media:
    Yeah - I think someone lost his job over that. Perhaps the headline was an honest mistake, but the editor not catching it means he was either asleep at the wheel or a total moron.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It was. The editor said he's used the phrase "chink in the armor" dozens of times in his career, and he'd never made the connection with the racial slur. To be fair, "chink" is a pretty old slur you don't hear too much these days, and he's fairly young (28). Still, he admits what a dumb thing it was and said that if they hadn't dismissed him over it he would have resigned. I kinda feel bad for the guy, but it is what it is.

7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I also feel bad for the guy. If it was an honest mistake - and as I've said I believe it could be - the guy's career is screwed. To be an editor at a major sports media outlet (I'd guess ESPN may well be the biggest in the world), at just 28 tells me to guy is pretty damn good at what he does. He's going to have a hard time finding similar work in the near term. After getting dismissed at ESPN, future prospective employers will ask him why he was let go, and he's going to have to tell them he's "that guy".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.