1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Life...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Disciple of The Watch, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Okay, since we slided a little bit off-topic in Relationship Rant, I've had the idea of a thread about life, it's meaning, and kind of stuff like that. Since it's a somewhat serious topic, I figured that posting it in AoDA would be better than in Whatnots.

So, my dear fellows SPers, what is your opinion on life? Does it have a meaning? Do you like it? Hate it? Do you live it at it's full extent, or do you wait for death?

Express yourself...

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm a hedonist I have three rules for life
    1. If you're not enjoying it, change it
    2. Don't worry, be happy
    3. Observe rules 1 & 2

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I really enjoy life. There are so many thing I like to do:
    -finish my studies
    -get a good job
    -have my own little headbangers :D
    -get new and cool [instert one of my fav metal bands name] album
    -go to Wacken each year
    Also like DS I'm a hedonist. But of course that doesn't mean that life is always good. Sometimes it sucks so much then there is nothing else to make me happy except for doomest doom metal (it's good to know that there are some people who's life is worst the mine) :D :p Nothing is more cheerefull then doom metal :p

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago, during school. I was looking forward to the weekend. But, then I thought:

The weekend is only two days. Then we have to go back to school and work hard. Then another small weekend, then more school. It goes on like this unil we graduated from highschool, and then repeats in college. Once we graduate from college, it repeats in work life until we die. Pretty sucky. All we do is work, work, work, with little time to play.

I concluded that our sole purpose in life is to work to be successful until we die.

Basically, for me, life is overrated. I'll still live it with enthusiasm, considering we only get one chance, but when you look at it, who cares anymore?

In anycase, I'll live life however I happen to live it. I would rather have more fun than work/school, but alas, I doubt it will happen, especially since our world revolves around money, not happiness.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Life. When one gets to my age a book could be written about it.

Getting up in the morning is an achievement. "Hey, great I'm still alive."

Seriously, life is to be enjoyed. Find a job you like, some one to love, develop hobbies, good friends, keep on learning.

Help those who need help and accept graciously the help others can give you.

6. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My goal is to have an affluent life. Being rich and having lots of stuff makes me happy, but thats just me. Thats why right now I am working my ass off in school and not partying every weekend. I don't want to end up like some of you guys (no offence).

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Haha, that wasn't very nice. Yeah, I work hard in school, so I can become an engineer, because I love doing stuff like that.

My goal in life is not to become rich: if I do so, all the better, but I do try to be happy. Life just looks glum, though, when happiness is not always there.

Nakia's view on life is probably the way I want to go with mine, but it is difficult for most people to do.

8. Disciple of The Watch

That was simply BRILLIANT, Saber. I totally agree.

My own outlook on life is an oddball mix of hedonism, cynism and fatality. I'll explain. I love the pleasures of life, but I dislike life itself. It has been nothing but a bitch for me. So while I will never flirt with suicide, I am looking foward to death. And why accomplish grandiose things? Does it matter in the end? You can't take an empire with you when you die.

We live to work, as Saber would say. That isn't the way it should be. Our lives are short enough, and yet we have to waste them working? Obviously something went very, very wrong somewhere.

9. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Heh, it is funny. The whole point of the industrial revolution was supposed to free people (somewhat, at least) from toil. Instead, looks like we are more shackled to work now.

Bah, you have to try to do something you like. Money are secondary :) if you look at surveys, the more people make, the less happy they are. (Unless you get to earn in the milions; then you can kick back and relax, I would imagine :) ) good luck to you, grillen ;)

10. DarkStrider

I have to disagree with Saber and DotW we do not live to work. The world is structured in such a way that work is a necessary evil and more importantly is used by those in power to keep the masses too occupied to revolt against the system; even if you do revolt the system absorbs your revolution and carries on as normal.

The trick is and it's a hard trick to carry out is to get through the work as painleesly as possible and then live your life.

As an example out of an ordinary 168 hour week I spend 35 hours working @ £35 per hour and 5 hours a week travelling to and from work, I sleep on average 4 hours a night. I own my house and I don't have a mortgage, I have 2 ex-wives who aren't entitles to anything from me and I have 2 adult children who only want to see me when they're in trouble.

So after my responsibilties and bills I have a hundred hours a week to do what I want to do and believe me I do.

11. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nakia pretty muched summed up my views on the topic. Unless you're amazingly lucky, you're going to be spending the majority of your life working, so it's best to do something that you really enjoy, or at least don't hate.

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Feeling good, it's good to feel good. We must all do what makes us feel good. That's all there is to it.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Life. What does it mean to me? Not much. I don't get much pleasure out of it with a few exceptions. I don't follow my suicidal tendencies to their conclusion because I would hate to leave my daughter and husband alone. I don't want to die - been there, done that and going back is not on my list of fun things to do for an afterlife.

I suppose my generalization of life is that I intersperse my depressive mentality with what will ease the voice in my head, mainly playing CRPGs, DnD, reading, writing and SP. I hide behind a facade of quick wit and humor.

Gak, I have revealed my inner depressist! Oh well. :heh:

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have to qualify my prior statements with this:

How I viewed life when say 20 and how I view it 45 yrs later are two different things. At 20 I was very idealistic and out to save the world. Now? Read my prior post.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Interesting. It seems that Saber, kuemper and I have a depressive side. I hear you two.

And to all who like life: What makes it so good? I fail to understand. Maybe I'm just a foppish idiot, or perhaps the gloom clouds everything.

16. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

carpe diem :)

17. tipperon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The truth I find about life is that it sucks majorly. There is war famine and death everywhere, even in our most peaceful havens there is corruption and lies. Life is totally meaningless. Science says we are an accident, that the chances in us being alive and breathing is one in trillions. Life is the biggest mistake ever; BUT IN THAT LIES THE SECRET MY FRIENDS. Life is meaningless so you have to make meaning. Life sucks so you have to make it good. The world is corrupt so WE MAY FIX IT. That is what life is about. If everything was perfect and peaceful life would be boring, there would be nothing to do, nothing to push for or accomplish. As human beings we have the thought and reason to overcome such things. We climb a mountain only to get halfway up then fall off. THEN WE TRY AGAIN. I love my life, I have great family, good friends and live in an awsome place with good, kind ppl all around.

This is what i think of life. We were created at the bottom and have to make our way to the top. And reality is there to bite us in the rear the whole way.

But hey when you get there the view is breathtaking ;)

18. DarkStrider

I never meant to suggest that I don't have a depressive side I do and sometimes are quite bad; for myself always within my circle of friends is a character i usually refer as my jester. He/she is usually a pain in the a**e, stupid, irritating but they nearly always manage to make me smile, and from there it's easy to get back on track. Humour is the great panacea I use.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Life rules. Life is what you make of it. Some of you people have very negative outlooks on life. If life ever gets me down (which is hardly ever), I just need to look at my son smile at me and say "Daddy? Up?" when he wants to be picked up for a hug. Magic.

20. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

At it's most basic? Eat, live, reproduce. That's really about it. Of course, that's not so much the meaning as the purpose. I'm more concerned with what it means to be human. Cold functionality is not a happy way to view one's existence.

I don't think we're just here to work; it's a bloody depressing way to view life. I don't *love* work, but I recognise what it allows me to do. Because of my education and my employment, I eat well, I live reasonably well, plus I have a wonderful partner and enough self-chosen distractions to keep me relatively happy.

In the end, if all we are is a bunch of positive and negative charges running around looking for a reason why, I figure we may as well be happy, or at least not grumpy all the time. Find happiness and enjoyment where you can. You're a long time dead, so why dwell on misery? If it all means nothing in the end, at least the journey will have been fun. When I'm Nakia's age, maybe I'll see it differently.

Honestly, I think Douglas Adams had it right - the answer is 42; the question is "what do you get if you multiply nine by five?" To which the response was something like "I always knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe."

EDIT: Huzzah! 900 posts and a sweet-lookin' gem!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.