1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Life without a cleric...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Rubel, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

This is my second time through the game, and so I decided to take all different party members (except for Imoen, who I just can't leave behind). I also installed a bunch of mods...whee! I'd like to have Soulafein in my party, just to see what he's like.

My problem is that last time I took all the lady clerics with me, so I'm stuck with Anomen. I just...well, I just don't like him that much, so I'd rather bring along some crazies like Edwin and Jan. I'm currently facing life without a cleric! it seems impossible, but I'm sure folks have done it.

Any advice for the cleric-less? beside "buy a lot of potions"?

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Ummm... Druid? Or did you mean life without a priest?

Other than that I guess all I can say is "buy a lot of potions".

Actually, other than that I guess all I can say is "get a cleric". ;)

3. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Bah. If you've got a bunch of mods installed... then chances are you've got plenty of potions. I've got Tactics (well, most of it) and Ease installed and I NEVER seem to run out of potions. The only use a Cleric is to me is for his spells (not of the Cure variety though, don't need em) and for turning undead.

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Start seeking out all items that grant regeneration (so you won't be resting as often), especially the Rings of Gaax.
    Give all mages Polymorph Self, so you can change from one creature to another and restore lost hit points.
    Get the Cloak of the Sewers so one of you can use the Troll Form and regenerate HP.
    Get the Rod of Resurrection. If one of you goes low on HP, you can just kill and resurrect him/her so he/she'll come back with full health. :)
    It also helps should you find yourself with a lot of casualties in an isolated dungeon.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Buff up real badly so you don't get hit is also a good way of not needing a cleric :) Maybe put that wand of resurrection to awfully good use? ;) Paladins can heal too by the way. Lay on hands, and they get some spellcasting too.

6. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31

IIRC, if you dont skip any quests, do subquests and the like, by the time you meet Aran Linvail you ought to have 2 rods of resurrection, both of them purchased, but that's what the quest rewards are for. :D

[ February 01, 2004, 10:27: Message edited by: Thais Paradox ]

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

There's also the option of paying for healing in temples of course.

8. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Actually, you get one free Rod of Ressurection in Mekrath's Dungeon. No paying for that one.

9. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Don't get hurt. I mean, don't allow so much damage. Avoid melee more often than with a party with healers. This might help too.

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Adding to Scythesong Immortal's post, give a item of Regeneration (even if it's 1 hitpoint/minute or something) to a character that gets hurt alot or one who is injured. That way when you rest your character(s) will heal fully.

11. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31

Or you could go to "Game Options" on the menu screen and select "Rest until Healed" :rolleyes:

12. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Yeah, but then if you're seriously injured, you might be resting for several days in a dark, creepy dungeon. Not very much RPing IMO...

13. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If you have a character with a regen item and you rest with "rest until heald" turned on your amount of rest required to heal is directly proportional to how badly damaged you are, I discovered this with one of my many soled characters.

If you have a ranger (any kit) or a Mid-high level Paladin have them memorize healing spells and use the rest until heald option, if not you need regeneration items (you can get about five that I know of in SoA, at least one of them is next to useless) if you can't do that then you need potions, if you run out of potions then go to a temple and buy a Greater restoration (1200 gp but you only need to use it on one person to affect all.)

14. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I always have "rest until healed" turned on. The way it works in my case is, if you don't need the healing you rest 8 hours and otherwise you rest 16 hours. Even with everybody at less then 10 HP and no healing spells memorized it was only 16 hours of rest. While if you don't use the option and just use rest repeatedly you'll be resting several days. That's the reason that option is almost cheating. You never rest more than 16 hours with the option. It's always 8 or 16 hours. (or if there is another amount I never saw it happen)

15. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Rest until healed is a useful option, especially for beginners. Although it is non-AD&D, so if you decide to use this option, you won't play according to AD&D rules, no matter if your difficulty level is middle (true AD&D).

16. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Scythesong, you do realize the rod of resurrection can completely heal anyone WITHOUT killing them off first? It can also be used from anywhere on the map so you can put a weak NPC in an isolated room and have them use the rod on a badly injured tank in the battle area.

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Who needs clerics ;)

18. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I didn't know that, jeremiah.
    Interesting property, that. :)

What's life without one? Considering they're responsible for healing and resurrection... ;)

19. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Alternatively you could get Cernd to take care of all your healing duties.

20. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You dont need a cleric for his healing spells in BGII. In my current game Viccy has a raise dead as the only healing type spell abouve L2. She has a couple of minor heals coz there doesnt seem to be a lot to choose from in L1 spells. Since you can get 2 rings of Regeneration, an Ioun stone and 2 rods of Resurrection by the time you get out of spell hold, you dont need anything else.

Hell! The way I play it I dont even use potions unless its in the middle of a fight to get someone from deaths doors in a hurry. Else who ever is seriously wounded goes to the rear of the file, wears both rings and uses missiles till he gets to 70% HP.

If its just healing you are worried about, you dont require Clerics.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.