1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lexicon - An RPG

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Rotku, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

So searching the web for an RPG system for a concept I had in mind, I came across a little gem which I would love to give a shot:

My thoughts were, if there are at least another 3 or more people interested, that we could get something going here - maybe even use the BoM Blogs! (or alternatively, we could just have seperate posts in either here or CS)

With 26 letters in the alphabet, we could aim for one new letter every week - or even two weeks (so that would be half a year, or a year long - a good time period for a 'game'). So it wouldn't take up a ton of your time, but should tick along nicely.

I think it would be fascinating to see where a thing would lead.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in such a thing?

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Sure, I'd be willing to give it a try. Count me in.

P.S.
    Playing it here in the corner would work best for me, I suppose.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I've come across this a few times, never played it though. I'd give it a go sure :)

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Excellent. Any thoughts about a rough topic line? Also, one or two weeks per letter (ie. a half year or year long game)?

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've always liked the idea of this game. Mightn't it be a better idea to set up a wiki though? It seems like it was created with one in mind.

6. Rotku

http://lexiconrpg.wikispaces.com/
    Done.

So you're joining us then, Aiky?

7. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    I applied to become a member of the wiki, also I don't mind which deadline we use, a week sounds fine as long as no one has any emergencies :)

Could I ask for an example entry so I know how to do the citations and stuff? As to topics, maybe an encyclopedia of an alien planet and its wildlife and plants?

8. Rotku

Heh, you're just in the dark as I am on that. I'll put something together today though.

I think it might be more interesting to look at a 'historic' event, rather than documenting another planet. That way you sort of build a story from it as well. Even using the example that the guy gave in the quoted text above sounds fun.

9. Rotku

http://lexiconrpg.wikispaces.com/Example
    Very brief, but should give you an idea. Of course, this is just my interpretation - if anyone has any suggestions as to hwo we could improve it, I'm all ears.

If you want a bigger example:
    http://kevan.org/lexwiki.pl?Entries

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  10. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Ok, joined.

Week is fine by me. (Feel free to kick me via PM if I forget).

History sounds good - though I'm game for any idea.

11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for those I have a bit more of an idea now :) I'm ready whenever, just decide on a subject :D

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Requested to join.

As for topic - I'm pretty open for anything. I do like the alien culture angle (anyone here read Memoirs of a Spacewoman by Naomi Mitchison or Omega by Jack McDevitt?). If we're thinking more fantasy, perhaps we could aim towards a more mythic and fantastic sort of fantasy? I would prefer myths to straight historical events (of course - our scholars may not differentiate between them - especially if they're writing about their own culture).

13. Rotku

Sorry about been so slow here guys...

Okay, let's go with Alien culture! Now I've thought about it a bit, I can certainly see it working :)

Does someone want to pose the wording of a topic? Aiky?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.