1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Level limits in HoW

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Klorox, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I know there's an XP cap in this game. That being said, does IWD follow the AD&D 2e level limits, or can all race/class combinations reach the XP cap?

TIA

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The limit is Level 30, regardless of race or class. But few classes will get there in a full party. In your next run (and trust me there will be) you can try with fewer party members and the Insane difficulty to get to those levels.

Of course there is the HoF mode for the totally insane to try out where monsters have 3x+80HP and hit 4 times as hard and the XP you get is increased comparably.

3. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The limit is 30, yes.
    But if you want to, there is a little modification that let you play the game with level 40 rules, Level 40 rules

The mod is made by Team BG, IMO it works very well ;)

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Yeah, my friend told me about some ultra cheesey cheat which I refuse to use.

He told me that you set the difficulty to insane (or whatever the toughest is) right before recieving quest experience, and then set it back down to regular after getting the XP. Again, I refuse to do this!

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

*Me bows head in respect for Klorox*

thats the spirit lad.

6. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yeah, don't use thoose dirty tricks :p

7. I AM the law Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I thought the exp cap could be totally disabled.

no level 99 monsters for me :(

And cheating sucks. No challenge there at all...

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Why don't you always play on Insane? Wouldn't it be REAL FUN? (to be chopped by goblins :D )

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Yup, Insane mode is the only way to fly, imho. Hugely entertaining, and that you get rewarded for taking on the extra difficulty (not just 2x damage, but more monsters spawn, too) is great. Risk = reward is the basic equation that makes games fun, and IWD's insane mode pulls it off perfectly. Of course, it will also help tremendously on getting up to level 30, if that's your aim.

10. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Actually, make a rerun of HoW and get those levels you need. It's not a cheat, nor a dirty trick. Or just pump the XP you need with DaleKeeper.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.