1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Latest Poll Results

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, May 11, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What we asked:

Q: Have you ever been to any interactive entertainment / gaming shows, such as E3, ECTS, GDC etc?
    (227 votes total)

No (197) 87%
    Yes (19) 8%
    I intend on going this year or next (11) 5%

The overwhelming majority of those who voted in the poll (87%) have never been to any interactive entertainment or gaming shows.

8% of the poll participants have been to interactive entertainment / gaming shows before, and 5% of all who voted intend to attend such a show this year or next.

» Current Poll
    » Previous Polls

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm actually a little surprised at how many people have been to such shows.

Maybe my perception is a little biased in that there really are no such shows that I know of around here and thus attending such a show would require travelling to do so.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've never even heard of such a show and don't even really know what one is.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, I suggest you subscribe to some gaming magazine... You're missing out on a lot of stuff surrounding games, it seems. Such shows are held on a yearly basis. Though some big ones have gone the way of the dodo over the last few years, E3, GDC and some others are still around.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But what happens at such a show, other than some advertisements for new games?

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That would pretty much be it. The companies are there to show off their upcoming games/gaming hardware.

You pay to get in, look around at the various companies' promotional displays, maybe play the demo versions of a couple game that are almost ready for release, grab as much promotional free stuff as possible (Ooh,more free pens! ;) ), admire the somewhat scantily clad women that companies seem to always hire as eye candy for their booths, then go home.

I have never been to a video game show but I have actually been to three or four such shows for accounting software. The main differences being the accounting software tends to be already finished and ready for sale, the software demos are a little on the boring side, they don't seem to be in the practice of providing eye candy :nolike: ;) , and you don't have to pay to get in.

Still, you do have the thrill of the hunt for as much free promotional junk as possible. I would go for an hour and typically walk out with dozens of pens and pencils, an assortment of paper, a couple business card holders, a small clock (the same company always gave them out year after year), sponge hockey pucks, stress balls etc.

7. Harbourboy

What?! You pay to go and have someone advertise stuff to you? Whatever next? Paying to watch TV commercials?

JSBB - the fun never stops in your house, does it?

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

We've been doing that in Britain for years... It's called paying for a TV licence if you only watch commercial TV stations! :grr:

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @JSBB - watch it! You might break the accountant stereotype - you know, the one where we rescue people from burning buildings, have babes galore at our beck and call (or hunks, for the female accountants), etc. Yeah, that stereotype.

It's just a good thing you take such cool vacations.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    /me steals the babes calendar from Splunge's office :D

11. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Closest I ever came to this was I saw Leo LaPorte and some of his sidekicks off of the old Tech TV show Screen Savers in Columbus Ohio. Since G4 merged with Tech TV I find it hard to find that channel worth watching any longer. Except for the ocasional X Play episode when they actually show a decent PC game. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.