1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Laser Eye Surgery

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm booked in on the 7th of February to have my eyes lasered! I'm a little bit nervous about the actual procedure. Has anyone here had it done?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not wanting to scare you or put you off, but I really hope that you've made a well-informed decision and are aware of all the risks involved... I've considered it, but as there's at least a 5% chance of developing severe permanent eye complications and/or damage due to the procedure (including blindness), I'll rather stick to glasses and contacts. If you google a bit, you'll find enough botched Lasik procedure horror stories to turn anybody off.

Which isn't to say that I haven't heard from a lot of people whose procedures were a total success (at least initially - the problem with Lasik is also that many people only experience complications a few years after the procedure)... but it's still a Russian roulette, albeit with a large gun chamber. You've only got one pair of eyes to ruin, unfortunately...

Check these links for more info:

You need to be aware that laser eye surgery is a billion dollar business for those performing it and that the commercial and marketing aspects overshadow the reality of the procedure by far.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I've considered it numerous times and always end up taking a pass. Contacts are no problem whatsoever for me, and I really don't want to join the 5% club and forever wonder why I didn't leave well enough alone. :nono:

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    There's risks involved in everything. I could step outside and be hit by a car. My plane to Portugal later on this year might crash land into the side of a mountain. I know a few people who've had laser surgery, and they say it's the best thing they've ever done. I do understand where you are coming from, though.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Those are unpredictable or unavoidable risks, Barmy. Lasik's risks are well predictable, documented and completely avoidable. There's a big difference.

Still, if you decide to go for it, I wish you the best of luck.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thanks. You've done loads to allay my fears and worries. I feel so much better about the whole procedure now :lol:. I'm incredibly nervous about it as it is. Ahhh, I'm sure I'll be fine. Plenty of people have had it done. It would make my life loads better not to have to faff with glasses or contacts. Maybe there's new advances in the technology in recent years, and the risks are lower?

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If this were the Alleys I wouldn't post this, but it brings to mind the Family Guy cutaway when Luke Skywalker used his lightsaber and the Force to perform laser eye surgery. It didn't really go too well for the patient. So, Barmy, tell the surgeon NOT to use the Force!

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Barmy, pay no attention to those clucking hens. I had Lasik done 12 years ago and my eyes are still excellent for distance. I was -5.25 in one eye and -5.75 in the other, with an astigmatism in the -5.25 eye.

While I will probably need reading glasses in the next couple of years, that has nothing to do with the Lasik.

As long as you are a good candidate, the risks go way down. It's the marginal candidates for the procedure that skew the stats.

However, I would advise you to get checked out by a regular opthamologist and not one of the doctors going to do the procedure or on staff at the Lasik place (however they operate where you are). You want the guy telling you about what kind of candidate you are to have no vested interest in you getting the surgery.

Good luck and report back.

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thanks dmc. That helps, to hear another success story.

I've had 2 consultations, 1 by Optical Express who are going to do the procedure and one by the free work optometrist. I only have minor myopia, approx -2.5, so the procedure is on the cheaper side, and means less risk (apparently).

Thanks dmc, really. I was starting to really worry a bit, I needed to hear someone who'd had it done!

I guess you had the 'mechanical' surgery, rather than the one where they create the flap using another laser? The laser apparently reduces the risk even further, but is twice as expensive...

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good luck, Barmy.

And good for you for deciding against one of those cheap do-it-yourself kits. The laser part itself isn’t so bad, but putting a needle in your eye to freeze it with Novocain prior to the surgery is best left to a professional.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Barmy, let me know if you want this moved to AoDA so it can be kept serious, since the Splunge infestation has already begun... :shake:

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Good luck, sir, you are a braver soul than I.

I know a few people who have had no complaints about the procedure when they had it done but their stories were enough to scare me away from the thing entirely :mommy:

I'm sure you'll be fine and everything will go well for you :) I'd reccomend some self calming techniques and seeing if you can request your own music during the procedure though, especially if you're nervous already.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thanks 8peeps.

Stupidly, I Youtube'd videos of the procedure and REALLY wish I hadn't now. God, it looks horrid.

People I've spoken to though, said that they weren't aware of anything that was happening. It was just looking into an orange light.

I am very apprehensive and nervous about it. I guess it's a 'once it's done, it's done' situation and I just have to get through it.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Again if you need anything to calm down I can probably gather up a few bits and pieces for ideas. I had one woman who enjoyed making me ill by describing the whole thing so I can't imagine watching videos would have helped :shake:

15. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I've looked at the procedure, but with myopia of -9.75 and astigmatism of -1.00 I'm a chancy candidate according to the ophthalmologists I've talked to. I also have a very high risk of developing cataracts, which means I can get corrective lenses put in when my clouded lenses get removed.

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I'd also be interested to know how it goes. I've been playing around with the idea of getting it done sometime over the next few years. Certainly nothing decided, but I'm definitely curious. Hope it goes well for you, Barmy.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've had two friends that have had it done:
    1) First guy got it for FREE, as he is a journalist and got to write a story about it afterwards. He says it's the best thing he's ever done.
    2) Second guy had to go and get it done twice, because they botched up one eye so he had one good eye and one bad eye and his depth perception was all screwed up for a month until it had healed enough for him to go back and get it re-done.

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

My dad got it done earlier this year. He has been wearing glasses for about 50 years now and cataract had started to develop.
    Corrective lenses have been put in. It does not entirely clear away the number but at-least he does not have to wear inch thick glasses any more.
    It was pretty straightforward. We checked and had received good reports about the doctor / surgeon.
    Procedure itself is a 5 - 10 min job. There was a a 1 week pre-operative dose of eye drops and 2 week post-op drops.
    Only thing that worried us was that where the cut was made in the eye did not heal completely for about a month. This may be due to dad being almost a diabetic and slow healing hence. It looked scary but did not affect him. Looks all well now.
    Take care and should be all ok.

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey man! That light you'll see today, is not the kind you see at the end of a tunnel. So don't you worry. You'll be fine and happy soon enough.

And we'll have a BA 1.0.2. Awesome!

Barmy Army likes this.
  20. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thanks man - Barmy Army vision beta testing is underway!

It seems to have been a success. The worst bit was the soreness/watery eyes for a few hours afterwards. The actual procedure was a doddle. I'm OK now though, and my vision is gradually improving by the minute!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.