1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lands of Lore

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Ziad, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I played this ages ago when it first came out, and I've decided to replay it, this time being as Evil as possible.

I got to the Savage Jungle, and when I enter the Wild One village (after killing the guard) all huts are locked except the Shaman's. When I enter his, he teleports me to a small arena and attacks me with some friends. I killed them all, got the items from his body (the cemetary key, green stone and Lharkon vapor recipe), but I can't get out of this arena (clicking on the gate doesn't do anything).

Has anyone played the game as evil, and has any idea of what I should do?

[ March 02, 2007, 23:29: Message edited by: Ziad ]

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It has been way too long since I played this game for me to remember but a walkthrough I found says "Instead of joining the Tribe, you slaughter them all. Go to Shaman's hut above. He will call you a fool and attack you in the area (with lots of his friend). Prepare for this difficult fight. When you kill him, take the green crystal, recepie to make Larkhon Vapour, and the Key to Dracoid Cemetary. Anyway, just KILL THEM ALL. Go back to Shaman's hut and enter the back room. Release the beast from its cage with your weapon."

3. Ziad

Media:
    I did check this walkthrough, as well as one other that also has a section on how to play evil, but neither even mentions that the door is locked. I don't know if this is a script error, if there was something I should have done before the fight, or whether I'm missing something completely obvious.

The irritating thing is that I've played the game 10 years ago, and did start out on the evil path but later was "redeemed". In that game I also killed the Wild Ones, and I remember being stuck at this exact same place. Somehow I found a way out, but I have no idea what I did back then.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I do remember that the evil ending was pretty cool. I don't remember getting stuck at that point though.

Oh, and in the final encounter with Dawn you should definitely let her kill you to see the video.

5. Ziad

Media:
    I've managed to figure it out :)

Because it is a tough fight, I had won it by simply walking in and casting a couple of level 5 Spark spells (using Ancient Stones). I tried it again by just hacking at the Wild Ones with melee. It's a much harder fight, but if I do this then the door is not locked. So it does seem as if I had not activated a trigger, and the game still thought the fight wasn't over.

Anyway thanks for your help JSSB. I can carry on with the game now!

6. Ziad

Media:
    I just finished the game as Evil. While the ending wasn't great (neither ending is) the game has some beautiful moments. The Huline Temple gets surreal at one point, and the City of the Ancients is pretty cool. It is a better game than I remember it.

On a different but related note (hence the topic change), it just occurred to me that there is no way to identify items in either Lands of Lore game (I've not played the third one so don't know if it also applies there). I've had to rely on trial and error in LOL2 and had to frequently check a FAQ for items whose uses were not obvious. However, I remember things being even more difficult in the first game. IIRC only one weapon had a very obvious effect - it was an axe that added +1 to Rogue skill. There was no way to see what special ability, if any, any weapon or armor had. Has anyone ever figured a way to do it?

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Crap... you've motivated me to try this game again. I wasn't able to beat it due to a combination of technical and in-game problems, so I can't help you. But I'm giving it another go :)

I'm having some trouble with items too. What should be used and what should be saved? The pyro pod changes my sparks into fireballs - is that good or bad, or permanent? Should i use those champion stones - is the effect permanent? I don't think so... the first one i use boosts strength but the second one does nothing, which seems like a "multiple-item-uses-does-not-stack" effect.

8. Ziad

Media:
    I was asking about LOL1 actually - LOL2 has only a few walkthroughs, but between them you can get a pretty good idea of what almost all items (with a couple of exceptions) in the game do.

Be sure you've got the 1.30 patch installed and Harware Acceleration enabled. It makes the game look much better.

The only Pyro Pod I ever found was the one you get in the very beginning. The effect is temporary and wears out after about a minute. I think Fireballs do a bit more damage, but considering how powerful level 4 and 5 Spark is you really don't need the Pyro. And if you're in a pinch for a Fireball, Fire Crystals do the trick quite nicely.

I think Champion Stone effect is temporary, but I never used them much. I saved the ones I found and through a recipe later turned them into a Pod of the Changeling. This thing is great - it forces a morph into Beast form with MAX strength. Tremendous damage. Aside from that I saved all the Amber, Eggs and War Clusters I could find to make Force Pods. These things have exactly the same effect as Ancient Stones - they enable level 5 magic, which are by far the best spells in the game.

Go here, scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see a list of alchemical combinations (this same walkthrough also describes uses for some obscure items). It could help you decide which reagents to hang on to. And do ask if you've got any questions. The game could have some technical difficulty with XP, but I think I've found workarounds for most, so don't panic if the game starts behaving oddly. And have fun! :)

9. Blog Gems: 23/31

Just to update my progress, it has been swift since I am replaying parts that I've already done. I managed to find a cheap way to level up my fighting skills, so I'm already at 11 and about to enter the Dark Halls. I expect to be at level 13/13 when I enter the Wild Ones savage jungle. Combat has been a breeze so far :)

Mind clusters are great for finding secrets. Except there are some areas in the Huline Jungle that the mind cluster detects that I can't get to. Is it possible to get to all of them?

Inventory management has been a problem. I've dumped all my extra stuff at the other side of the bridge. I get the feeling I won't be using most of it anyways, especially the healing aloes and scrolls. Too many cool items to keep :(

I got the long bow shift from the Hive Caves, but how does it work? It looks like it's trying to spark something, but it hasn't done anything so far.

And lastly, how do monsters respawn in this game? The spiders in the cave respawned once, which was good for experience points. But the animals in the jungle respawned twice I think and are plain annoying.

[ March 16, 2007, 01:06: Message edited by: Blog ]

10. Ziad

Media:
    Inventory management is a nightmare in this game, true. Fortunately, you'll still be able to access the other side of the bridge until nearly the end of the game. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you want I can tell you which items you really should hang on to till the end of the game, and which ones you can safely discard. Keep in mind you don't need all these weapons, armors and shields - keep the best ones equipped and throw the rest away.

If you find some tunnel leading to a secret area in the Huline Jungle, look around for a small opening. There's some places you can only access as a lizard, and for some of these you need to do something before the tunnel becomes visible. There's a couple such places along the river if memory serves.

Long Bow Shift did not seem to work most of the time. I got the same problem with a sword later on that was supposed to cast Spark, it kept fizzing most of the time. I had to stick to melee until the Dracoid Cemetary. I do advise you visit this as soon as you can in the Savage Jungle, since it has an excellent crossbow there.

Monsters keep respawning in the jungle. I just avoided attacking the felines in the jungle, since they poison you. If you leave them alone they won't attack you. If you want to kill them for experience, you should be able to get a number of poison cures in the Dark Halls, so these should help. Casting Heal 3 will also protect you from poison for a short time. Although I think by the time you finish the Dark Halls you'll be getting so little experience from the monsters that it's probably not worth it.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31

The unreachable areas I had in mind were squares with no path connecting them to other parts of the map. One was near the backdoor exit where you can spark the oil and blow up the Huline king. And another was between the Huline king's ruin and the end of the river. I gave up on them.

CD 3 gave me some technical problems that I recalled ended my first run through the game. (My second run ended soon after - I couldn't figure out what to do between the village, cemetary, ruins, and dragon... so I'm almost caught up.) But I kept reloading and the CD eventually worked, whew!

The savage jungle has been uneventful. Too many venom sacs and no experience makes kiling those birds pointless. I'm guessing there's no way into some of those trees when the entrance is way up?

12. Ziad

Media:
    The second secret you mention I did access. You've got to drain part of the river first, by shattering the rock that is at the top of the river. Once you've done this you can see a lizard tunnel going off to a small room with some good items (Ancient Stones and the like). Although if you're already on CD3 it's not worth loading from a previous save to go back.

The trees with a high entrance are a way out of the ruins, not in. Even so there's other ways out of there, so in fact you really don't need to worry about them at all (although do be sure you go through the tunnel from the ruins, as there's 5 Ancient Stones near the ruins entrance). The only reason I found to kill the birds was to get venom sacs, but there's far more sacs than any other component, so I only did it when I needed a sac for a Force Pod. The birds give pitiful XP anyway.

The Dracoid ruins and cemetary is one of my favourite bits of the game. It involves a lot of exploration (in the ruins) and quite a bit of thought to figure out what you need to do, but it eventually fits together nicely.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31

Well, I think I've got the three areas explored, but there's always some nooks and crannies that the mind clusters find that you wonder about. Some might be because I didn't advance the plot, so I probably shouldn't ask yet, but I'm still going to :p

First in the jungle, the room with the torches in a semi-circle. You light them to bring the stairs up, but the door is locked. I guess I don't have the key yet? The walkthroughs don't seem to mention when to resolve this, so I wonder.

In the cemetary, there's a big rectangle right next to the entrance that I couldn't get to. And there's one off the south wall of the graves in the southeast that I didn't enter yet. On the second layer of the map, there's a small square that I don't get. It's under a corner where the gate to the SE graves is on layer 1, and above a ocrner in layer 3. Strange.

The ruins, I've got most of the secrets that walkthroughs mention, but some squares in the middle of nowhere still appear. I didn't flood the castle yet either, if that matters. There's a square in the northwest (where you break down doors to make bridges, south of the river) between two of those prison cells that I didn't get to. On the second layer of the map, there's a small square north of the building where the two net of exiles were. There's a small square near the door that opened from the skull key, between a meeting room and a kitchen. And there's two small squares under the library after you run around in circles and emerge in a staircase. And then there's the one in the far northeast, the faint light across a big lake that the walkthrough mentions but can't access.

Despite so many secrets, the treasure in the ruins has not been impressive. It's kind of funny how I can't drop those stone cubes now without creating a big stalagmite. Haven't found a practical use for those yet.

14. Ziad

Media:
    The first room is something that's there for the Evil path. If you're playing the good path you can still get in, but only much, much later. Keep in mind the shape of the lock, and come back when you've got something that fits.

The cemetary only becomes fully accessible after you've almost done everything there (as well as in the Ruins), so you'll need to wait until you've almost completed the Silverleaft quest (I'm assuming that's what you're trying to do at this stage)

There's not a lot of treasure in the Ruins, true, but what's there is very good: Ring of Regeneration and Bracers of Might are two items you don't want to miss. Also be sure to get Valkyrie from the Cemetary. It's the best ranged weapon until you find the Noble Valkyrie or the Dark Bow.

The Stone and Ice Cubes are a very tactical item. You can use them to create obstacles for the enemies, and if you're very good you can trap said enemy inside a ring of stalagmites. This is great against melee-only tough monsters, as you can then unleash level 5 spells at them without taking a scratch.

15. Blog Gems: 23/31

Well, I'm about to start CD 4. I took some time to raise my levels from that statue, so now I'm at 29/29. I still haven't gotten into those two inaccessible-looking rooms in the cemetary... I think there's a secret somewhere.

[EDIT]Went in and out of CD 4. Pretty straight forward, other than some dangerous jumping. Is the max level 30/30? I think I hit the cap already, because went I took the dreamstone, my magic level didn't go to 31. I also noticed my stash of items is starting to disappear as I drop more into the general area - will have to start spreading out my junk.

[ March 25, 2007, 07:53: Message edited by: Blog ]

16. Ziad

Media:
    I don't remember there being a max level, but that might be because I got to 30 quite late in the game and stopped paying attention. At that point it there's really no difference between 28 and 30, esepcially if you've accumulated Ancient Stones and Force Pods. Never had a problem with disappearing items though.

Did you think of upgrading Thohan's Sword and Flame Storm while you were in the Citadel? The latter specifically becomes Dark Storm, the best melee weapon in the game.

And now to answer an older question - the shaman's hut in the Savage Jungle can now be opened with one of the green gems you find in the Huline Temple. This is where playing evil pays off - you get a green gem after killing the Wild Ones, so that saves you going through a very large part of the Huline Temple.

The Huline Temple and the City of the Ancients are my favorite parts of the game.

17. Blog Gems: 23/31

Yay, finished the game and saw the unsatisfying ending. At least Luther's last line was memorable and worth putting in that quote game thread... "Will you stand and taste my sword? Or shall we risk my getting bored?" That got me laughing, since I expected a more standard hero to villain pre-battle dialogue.

I gave up trying to access every little white square that the mind clusters detect. I wish I didn't rely on the walkthroughs so much, but I really didn't know what to do at some points, and I didn't want to miss anything in case one of those white squares were actually real.

18. Ziad

Media:
    Congrats on completing it. Neither ending is very satisfying, but the evil one is more fun. Maybe you should start an evil game and try to get into each of these squares you missed :p

19. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

This thread actually inspired me to play the game again... LoLG, that is.

So, I'm basically nearly done with the Dracoid Cemetary... but I'm finding myself ONE glass globe short, so I can't finish it, and I'm a bit tired of wandering around aimlessely to find that damn globe.

What the hell did I do wrong?

20. Ziad

Media:
    Did you look EVERYWHERE in the cemetary?

There's more globes than you need lying around (I ended with 3 or 4 spares after finishing everything in the cemetary). Every building that needs an orb to open contains at least one other orb inside (a few have 2 or more). Make sure you open and look inside all the coffins in each building. I also remember there was one orb hidden under a skull in the catacombs - it's impossible to find unless you happen to click on the right skull (I was clicking on all of them)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.