1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lack of Divine Intervention

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, here's an interesting article. If God does have a plan for certain people it seems like praying doesn't help. In a study involving two groups of heart patients - one who were prayed for and the other not - there was no difference in the recovery rates in the two groups. In fact, the group that knew they were being prayed for did a little bit worse than the group that didn't.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maybe they voted for John Kerry. Or were all gay. Or believed in evolution. God doesn't like those people.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My favorite quote was

I was confused by the article. It took my second reading before I realized the study was having people pray for other people whom they didn't know.

I thought the study was trying to disprove the theory that people who "pray" not are "prayed for" do better in surgery.

I think the entire study is crap and hopefully it wasn't taxpayer funded.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    But He does like to torment them in the afterlife.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, but the study doesn't say what happens to them after they die. Surely the whole point is to get into heaven, which is what should have happened to the praying people.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Aldeth posted this in AoDA so I assume he wants us to look at it seriously.

Hokay. What does this study prove?

Does it prove that prayer is useless? Does it prove that God wasn't listening? Actually does it prove anything?

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    From a purely psychological point ogf view, it seems that hope is better than certanity. or somethigj along those lines anyway.

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Nothing personal, Harbs, but I should hope that the point of prayer is something a bit beyond just "getting into heaven" - indeed, I would hope that the entire point of religion is something more than getting into a nice afterlife with vaulted ceilings and gold silverware...

9. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

As usual, Scrappleface gives this the cold water treatment:

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Serious answer, then: people who believe in the power of prayer will probably say, simply, that answering those prayers "wasn't in God's plan," hence, no amount of prayer could have changed their fate. Never mind the coincidence that not even one person from the prayer group was excluded from said plan from the big man. Evidently, he had a schedule to keep and none of them were excused. Any number of reasons can be conjured as to why God answered prayer X but chose to ignore prayer Y - people do it every day.

I, however, am not a believer in the power of prayer; at least, not in that way. What's probably much closer to the truth is that the recipient of prayer X simply got lucky, while prayer Y guy just can't catch a break. I don't believe god answers prayers. Prayer seems to me like you're asking God for a favor in exchange for praise and exaltation which, according to my view of God, would insult him more than please him. I think God would find that petty, personally.

I believe in god, but if He exists I don't believe he wants us to be so weak as to believe that our fate hinges on his good graces. I can't imagine a being as powerful as God extending his hand from heaven and removing someone's heart condition simply because "Oh, well since you asked so nicely." I don't know if I would want a God that would do that, to be honest. I couldn't respect him, and if I can't respect him, he has no power or meaning.

I believe (at least partly) that the reason we're here is to persevere and succeed despite the presence or absence of God. So therefore I have no use for prayer - I can manage just fine on my own, sink or swim. At the end of the day, I believe prayer serves only to ease the hearts and minds of the ones doing the praying, nothing more. I think all the "it's part of God's plan" nonsense is just what people who rely heavily on their faith tell themselves and their children in order to cope with life's tendancy to occasionally suck. Not to knock that, mind you - because it certainly works for some people. Just not a cynical *sshole like me.

So prayer, in my belief, can be a very powerful tool. Its benefits, however, don't extend beyond the ones doing the praying.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Pretty much agreeing with DR, except for two points.
    I think of it more as begging for a favor without giving anything in return, though not quite as bad as that description sounds. Perhaps a plea because it is something that you really really want, because we are nothing more than children (to God). I don't like people that pray over inconsequential things, but praying for someone's happiness or health is good enough.
    Only one nit to pick here: the prayed-for feel the love too, if they know about it and believe.

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yeah, I guess I can agree with that. Warm fuzzy feelings for all involved, but God doesn't actually change what's naturally going to occur.

Though I disagree with your former point; what God gets in return for the prayer is faith, devotion, and praise. The faithful don't consider that "nothing" in return, and to them, neither does God. According to Judeo-Christian believery, that's what God wants in exchange for answering prayers. That's why we don't do things like sacrifice bulls - God only deals in one form of currency.

Yes, I said believery. That's mah damn word. :cool:

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Side note - originally, the Jews did, in fact, sacrifice animals. The Temple of Jerusalem was the central place of sacrifice (the smoke from the burnt offering would ascend to heaven). Once the Romans did the blow your house down routine to the Temple, the Jews were in a bit of a bind and decided to substitute prayer for the sacrifice, idea being that the words could float just as easily as the smoke. After the fact, the rabbis interpreted this as god's will and that it was time to change the way offerings were made.

Next aside, I've heard cynical non-believers (not myself, of course) characterize god as a super-powered thug with a penchant for receiving flattery and a serious ego problem.

Ultimately, my interpretation of prayer (on point) is that those who believe in god and, further, harbor some belief in the power of prayer will maximize their own body's ability to heal if they themselves pray fervently and BELIEVE that they are doing it right or, alternatively, if they know that others are praying for them and they BELIEVE that the others are doing it right, that may help even more.

14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yes, that's what I was trying to say...I left out the word "anymore."

I think I agree with your interpretation of prayer as well. Mind over matter, if you will.

[ April 06, 2006, 08:50: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

15. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have a problem with the very concept that everything fits into God's "plan". When bad things happen to a person, it is generally either an explainable weather phenomenon (in the case of natural disaster) or (more often) is the direct result of someone elses actions. Were it God's will for one man to take the life of another, that would mean that the murderer was as much a victim as his victim since the will of the murderer was superceded by God's will. He will then be punished (possibly put to death, himself) for a crime he did not willingly commit. If the murderer is fulfilling God's will in committing his crime, that means he had no choice. The murderer will be punished for the actions of his body, not the actions of his will.

Long story short, if everything is part of "God's Plan" then free will doesn't exist. Since I know that I have free will, I can either conclude that I am the only being on Earth with free will or God isn't behind every single thing that happens to me in my life. I think it's unlikely that I am the only being on the planet with free will.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    @Grey Magistrate:
    :lol: :grin: :thumb: Wow. That was priceless.

@Everyone else:
    Cool, a study that actually sounds like it was done properly. Though I would have liked to see a group that knew they weren't being prayed for.
    I'd be interested to see statistics on how many of each group personally believed, and what denominations were praying for them. If it was muslims or catholics, then personally, that explains it. Sorry, but I'm a protestant.
    Also I would like to point out that the Bible makes it pretty clear that to benefit from such prayers, you have to have faith yourself, which is where the faith of the participants comes in.
    Once again, science has made a complete fool of itself trying to test God. Remember, "Thou shalt not test the Lord thy God."

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

And I would just like to point out that that's :bs: . Prayers are based on the faith of the pray-er, not the pray-ee, as per the Bible. I have been assured of this by actual priests, and I take their word on the Bible as slightly better than yours.

18. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    What's he going to do next, sue God for answering their prayers? :lol:

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm inclined to agree with Drew but maybe that is because we are both arrogant and obnoxious. I am responsible for my actions.

I do believe in the power of the mind and I don't discount prayers but have no idea of why or if they work.

Personal comment ahead

My background is primarily Espicopalian (Anglo-Catholic) which I guess makes me a hybrid. I must say that I find the above statement offensive and one of the reasons no Prostestant has a chance in Hel's Dominion of presuading me they are right and the rest of the world is wrong.

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Nakia, thank you for beating me to the punch regarding NOG's assessment of the value of non-Protestant prayer. Offensive doesn't begin to describe it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.