1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lab Rats' Sanctum

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Loreseeker, May 24, 2008.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Hello, Faye. What's your poison? :)
    Mine is organic chemistry (mechanisms and synthesis).

2. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Immunobiology, currently working on a project related to allergies.

3. Loreseeker

Media:
    Sounds fun.

My current project deals with the application of ring closing metathesis to some alkaloid synthesis, but I'm hoping my mentor will transfer me to an allen project that recently started.

Welcome to the Sanctum, Tarrasque. :) From which science do you hail?

4. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Analytical chemistry, so Mass Spec and chromatography. Final year project was on rapid analysis of sugars.

5. Loreseeker

Media:
    Nice. GCMS can be a life saver. (and I secretly worship the NMR machine :p)

6. Loreseeker

Media:
    And a geneticist bolsters the ranks of Lab Rats. Welcome, Ziad. :)

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Thank you, I'm honoured to be here!

Being the only microbiologist in a lab (well, the entire floor really) full of structural biochemists is weird. Well, half are chemists pretending to be biologist and the other is informaticians pretending to be biologists, so it feels even stranger. I'm surrounded with LC and X-ray machines!

8. Loreseeker

Media:
    I'm on the institute of organic chemistry, but my faculty is Pharmacy, so most people are pharmacists, or interdisciplinary.
    After sitting through five hours of "swimming mice on diazepam and blueberry seed extracts", I feel like banging my head on the table.
    Then I smell the ether, turn on the ancient vacuum evaporator (which, incidently, sounds like a Klingon Bird of Prey on coal), and the world is nice again.

9. Ziad

Media:
    If you want something much stronger than ether, try phenol. Now there's a trip you'll never forget! :D
    On second thought - don't!
    I know how you feel. Sitting through a whole-day symposium on electron density maps and beta barrels tends to drive me crazy. Then again I work with a deep-sea organism, so I'm technically affiliated with a bunch of physicists who spend all day talking about perovskites and tend to have fun by trying to apply enough pressure to oxygen to turn it into a solid crystal. Fun stuff all around!

10. Loreseeker

Media:
    Phenol is not bad, actually.
    Try stale, watered DMF - it smells like a hot kennel.
    Or, even better try 2-bromobenzyl bromide. A lacrimator to cry for :p
    Allyl bromide, a.k.a. Stinky gets nice after a while.
    o-I-phenol has a scent to remember too. For weeks.
    I'll stop now. I smell something burning.
    P.S. One of the professors here claims that double bonds smell like banana peals. The odd thing is... he is rarely wrong when smelling them.

11. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If you're wanting to smell solvents then methyl tert-butyl ether (TBME) has to be the best. Fruity and sweet smelling.
    Classic one though has to be ammonia. BE VERY CAREFUL! I once made the mistake of smelling an ammonia solution before I realised what it was. My nose burnt for the rest of the day. :(

12. Loreseeker

Media:
    My favourites would be the classics: ether and ethyl acetate. Halogenated ones are too sweet (like CH2Cl2 or chloroform).
    Esters and ethers are nice, in general. Except for some vile liquid that we got as our last petrol ether shipment. The scent is... not right.
    As for ammonia, I had this huge chromatography column where the eluent was ether saturated with ammonia... Making gallons of the stuff is not something I want to repeat. Ever.

13. Ziad

Media:
    Not a great fan of chloroform (though it does go very well with phenol). Esters are usually very pleasant, I remember quite a few that smell like "banana peels" as you put it, and we had to synthesise one in my undergraduate organic chemistry course. The lab smelled quite nice when we were done :)
    Ammonia is NOT pleasant. One of the stains we use on lipopolysaccharide gels has ammonium hydroxyde in it. That stuff is awful.
    Anything with bromide tends to not be very good for your health. It either stinks, will give you cancer, or both.
    Speaking of gels, TEMED is a good favourite of mine. Not as bad as others, but it distinctly smells of rotten fish. Not something you want to use as cologne :shake:
    How could I forget beta-mercapto-ethanol! Even in tiny amounts it still stinks. We had a mercapto-ethanol spill in my building last year - the whole building had to be evacuated for the rest of the day!

14. Faye

Media:
    Mercapto really stinks, I second that. But we really shouldn't be going around sniffing these solvents to begin with (although my liver is probably gone with the amount of isoflurane I'm taking in).

15. Loreseeker

Media:
    Well, it's not like we are sniffing them on purpose (some of them, at least :p).
    Being in a lab de facto makes you a walking liver enzymes activity test subject ( because all the real rats in the vicinity either have six legs or have grown wings and moved to a healthier climate). The bugs are still there, from time to time. All the curious breeds have died out, true, but the ones left will soon be puting on white coats themselves.

16. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Chalk up another Microbiologist/Geneticist! Although, going for Immunology, far more interesting :p

17. Faye

Media:
    The other fields always looks more interesting... until you get into it.

18. Ziad

Media:
    Faye, we all know we shouldn't smell them, but it can be pretty hard not to sometimes no matter how hard you try. Mercapto's stench in particular sticks to everything so easily. Phenol:Chloroform isn't much better.
    Dalveen, you traitor to the cause! Though I admit immunology is good fun as well.

19. Tarrasque

We have to smell them - solvents have an annoying habit of washing off the labels on the beakers. How else are we to identify them?!

20. Loreseeker

Media:
    Yay for Dalveen! (whatever field he picks)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.