1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kurt Cobain

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by The Fat Egg, Jun 18, 2001.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

i have recently read the book come as you are, an excellent biography about the band nirvana, for the second time i read what kurt kobain wrote in his suicide note: "it is better to burn out, than to fade away", a quote which really got me thinking for a long time at the time of his death and now as well. i had the pleasure of going to several nirvana concerts, and even have all the band members autographs, there was something about kurt kobain though i dont know what it was, anyhow i'm rambling, this is just a message to those few who care an who were affected by his death i just wanna hear your thoughts.

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Sorry Egg, I have no respect for someone that takes their own life like that! I mean, the guy had everything, and pissed it all away. What a waste.

3. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

not only that... that quote comes from a different singer, the guy cant even think up his own quotes.

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

why thank u for ur kind words ;)

5. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

IIRC it was Neil Young singing about Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols. It was more than allegoric of Kurt to quote this in his last note.

6. On the other hand. If Kurt hadn't used that much heroin and had that view on life, his music probably wouldn't even been noticed.
    + he died like any music legend should, in a tragic and mysterious way... :(

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

DragonSlayer, :) you make a good point about all the drugs and music. But I think I have to agree with Sir Bel, Kobain was so much better off than a whole lot of people. Every day they live their lives trying to make things better. Kobain just took the easy way out. Not the sign of someone you should respect.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Egg - at least people aren't still saying that Courtney Love killed him!

Seriously, I wasn't affected much personally, but the people I worked with definitely were. Some thought that it looked like a pretty good idea. Like your thoughts on life-after-death, they just wanted to "end" the pain. No more suffering or thinking, just the comforting blanket of nothingness.

Fortunately, none of them actually made that step, but it was a worry-some time!

9. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I don't know. I've heard Courtney Love killed him, but I really don't know. I think it was suicide.

But to be honest, I really didn't get into Kurt Kobain until after he died. I remember hearing Nirvana in eigth grade (prior to his death) and I hated it. Now, I'm well out of highschool..I enjoy it and listen to em frequently. So maybe way of his death fixiated himself into a legend.

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I never did respect kurt kobain for his attitude to life or his thoughts but i do like 3 of Nirvana's songs; Man who sold the world, Smells like Teenage Spirit & lithium.

11. Not to make this into a topic on Kurt's death, but what I don't get is why he would blow his head off with a shotgun when he was a junkie anyway. It would have been so much easier for him to just use a little more heroin than usual and die from an overdose...

Edited here
    When you die from an overdose you simply fall asleep and don't wake up again, no pain involved in any way. Fysically or mentally. (A friend of mine is an addict and I've had to call the ambulance more than once for him)

[This message has been edited by DragonSlayer21 (edited June 19, 2001).]

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Because that's an awful way to die... I think Kurt had some bad trips on drugs and knows how shit that is (I never had a trip so also no bad trip but friends told me how bad that is)

If I could choose the way I'd die make it by the gun or knife. For the other ways there's too much pain, night after night after night after night

13. herf Guest

ummm id believe that he was killed by courtney, and so do the rest of the band members. there is currently an unreleased album but courtney love will get a percentage of the profits when its released so the rest of the ban are waiting for her to die before they release it.

also, he was so high off his head on heroin when he died he wouldnt have the ability to pulla triger, and the gun was too long for him to place the barel on his head and reach the trigger wiht his fingers. he was too high to do anything.

14. Avooch Dar Guest

What happened was Kurt overdosed and was dead already. Miss love came in and shot him thinking he was still alive. She did not get prosecuted because she claimed insanity on the grounds that she was so upset about the death of her husband that she shoy him.
    hhhmmmmmmmmmmm. the stupid thing was the court believed her.

That is one story anyway.

15. herf Guest

post mortem agrees with me, he died from a shotgun blast to his head, his prints were on the gun but in such a way that he wasnt gripping it, investigators found that he couldnt have killed himself due to
    a)massive drug usage prior to death
    b)inability to pull the triiger of shotgun due to length of barrel and shortness of arms

[This message has been edited by herf (edited June 23, 2001).]

16. hooligan_inc Guest

As the number one Courtney Love mark on the face of the planet I think I better defend my girl.

Listen, he was high as owt. if the gun didnt kill him he would never have recovered from the overdose he took.

I mean c'mon the guy had a daughter. Now forgive me if im wrong but shooting heroin every night and getting high, then buying and hording loads of guns doesnt seem like an act of a responsible parent.

17. herf Guest

he would have recovered from the overdose, it wasnt even an overdose, he's had a bad day so he shot up, had a bad one and fell asleep, he would hav woken upa few hours later, it wasnt an excessive amount of heroin.

he didnt exactly hoard guns, all he had was a desert eagle, one of them big magnums and a shotgun and a daisy hunting rifle, the shotgun and the rifle were all registered and the magnum had never been fired before.

18. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
    We people on the pavement looked at him:
    He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
    Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
    And he was always human when he talked;
    But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
    "Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich - yes, richer than a king -
    And admirably schooled in every grace;
    In fine we thought that he was everything
    To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
    And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
    And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
    Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Just something to think about by E. A. Robinson from The Children of the Night. Having "everything" does not at all make someone happy. His drug addiction coupled with the pressure of being a revolutionary figure in his music genre proved to be an unhappy enough situation to cause him to take his own life.

[BTW Sniper: Man Who Sold the World was originally done by David Bowie, don't credit it to Nirvana. They did do a better version, especially unplugged, IMO, but it belongs to Bowie.]

Amon-Ra

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited June 23, 2001).]

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I think taking heorin in the first place is totally stupid. I don't see the point of wasting life and money just to get high when you can get a high in other ways that are more or less...free. e.g. sex

20. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

He took drugs, he died young... he was an artist, that's what artists do - as well as making shedloads of money, influencing millions of people and sleeping with beautiful women.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.