1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kunaria

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Zurga, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Zurga Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I've started this one just recently, but I've had it in my head too long. Like dreaming it's a amalgam of my hopes and fears relating to humankind. I'm not that good at descriptions, I find dialog too extremely interesting. That said I'll try to elaborate some of the terms, which will appear after the end.

Anyway, The Story begins:

Contrary to the request from Tellrn the Lho sheltered Clan Haoir most defiantly and where therefore subjected to punishment.
    Ignar Rer Hassil Freq, Rer of the Ignar Clan.

“Why am I here?”
    Ari Merekqu was in the presence of seven of the mightiest men in the whole Kunaria Gathering, all of them previous members of Irin Sael, the black league; he was made a full Ari just five months ago, Five month with fighting and general bloodshed. Why then was he participating in this meeting?
    “Akari Ari Merekqu Kior Ne Rerrano Ki Aiisha Thu Haoir! You are well?” Rer Kelle asked.
    “I would be better”
    “No doubt you wonder about your current location?”
    “I am seeking answers much like anyone in my place”
    “Ne’ir” The others spoke merely nodded.
    Akari Rer Kelle was obviously high speaker in the meeting.
    “Well the only question you should have is why Drooga Lothar isn’t among us.”
    Lord Lothar was truly not among them. Why he should be in the first place only entered Merekqus mind just now. Why should he be? True the men present made the meeting seem like a figment of his imagination, but Akari Drooga Lothar? Should he be expecting Tellrn Wak Goroon anytime soon? Or Atarina Drooga Drakas?
    Kelle continued “It is so that we must ask ourselves: Are we in truth here? Or did the ancestors, in their eternal wisdom, merely plant this image in our minds?”
    “I see.”
    Merekqu began feeling more relaxed, and considerably bolder. He was the reason for the meeting. “Surely the ancestors would not plant the same image in my insignificant mind as in the minds of such company I find my place in?”
    “Well we are all Ari after all, there would be no need for the ancestors to distinguish between warriors in such company” Kelle retorted. Obviously he wasn’t going to let Merekqu off without him actually asking a more direct question.
    “I’ve got one son to worry about! I have to make them tell me!”
    “I disagree. There must be a reason for Ere Merekqu being here, one you will not lie about.”
    He was most likely doomed now, but Ere is a personal pledge, he would get his knowledge, and his family would be safe. Since the days of the ancestors, Ere was the public promise that you had witnessed an event that you would stand by in the presence of other Ari. If one was inclined to lie it would mean nothing, but if a member of your household wasn’t…Giving this promise to seven this honorable, two of which were from other clans, would be disastrous to him if he had made the wrong choice, but at least it would be so to him only. As for insinuating that they would lie…Kunar never lie, they just hide the truth, hate and (if they can) punish those that reveal this.
    Kelle cleared his throat, preparing to be more forward.
    “We need your knowledge; you spent time amongst clan Haoir, and later the Lho clan. If we need to aid Tellrn it could prove important.”
    “But Akari is currently locked in fighting Atarina! Why would we start...” Merekqu regretted what he just said, but before he could apologize Kelle went on.
    “As you know Tellrn is a major factor in the ruling council, we need their support, so we need to aid freely. Failure to do less would severely hurt our moral standing in the council.”
    “Lies!”
    Tellrn enforced, they did not lecture…well they did, but both Akari and Atarina never listened. During the twelve year war Akari and Atarina both took their squabbles up in the council, Tellrn lectured, but sent a peacekeeping force in to subdue the troubled areas. “Deaf” was what both the home councils called their respective Droogas. Moral, immoral wasn’t an issue for the Droogas, the thousand deaths of Ari wasn’t an issue at all, just a mild warning. Nor was it an issue for Merekqu, Rerrunai was just five, his only son just yet.

“I wish you wouldn’t go husband.” Keerta said.
    “It’s just another meeting, one or two of my commanders”
    “But it’s an official summoning”
    “Ari Feei forgets his location at times, he sends Ari to fetch Koll”
    “Among the Haoir this never happened, father never even asked our servant to do anything unless he needed it to be public so he could be blameless afterwards.”
    “Love. Your father is wise, but this is Clan Akari we’re talking about. Neura Feei just gets silly at times, he’s used callers before.”
    Merekqu gave Keerta one of the glances she loved, knowledgeable and assuring. They where joined four years ago, her father had adopted him just for that purpose, a tie to Clan Akari. She had resisted at first, because of fear, because she liked Reerernai her cousin, her mother was skeptical. But then this handsome warrior came, not a Tiri but not an Ari yet, loved horses and spoke to them as…as if he knew their secret language. A person untouched. Their first years were a dream she knew she would one day wake up from, soon even, or so she hoped, but their first child was a boy, handsome and fine like his dad. And now…now the dream might break. In Clan Haoir an official summon meant some thing official, something unpleasant, and something that happened to her cousin Reerenai. And she suddenly understood why Merekqu was sad when he learned that he had fathered a boy.

---

“Am I expected to voice my opinion on this matter?”
    “No need, our Ari are expected to stay.”
    “I mean in the council of Kunar.”
    “Oh, sorry, eh no Tellrn has that well in hand.”
    Akari Drooga Lothar was relieved.
    “Good! This mess is as silly as our current war at the Ygrash. A lot of shouting, dying and subsequently yielding by both parties. Tellrn and Atarina equals a big mess. I know it’s almost tradition but must we push them back the Iyir river once again? Only to lose our side of it in the span of the next fifty years? I much rather erase the whole Clan Sakkara from the map like any intelligent ruler would have done if we didn’t have to fight over a piece of land we can’t possibly conquer as long a Tellrn keeps on interfering.”
    “True my lord” Tuplar said.
    “As far as I recall I have kept you as my personal servant for a reason, why would I do that?”
    Lothar was listening carefully now. Not often did Tuplar refrain from voicing his opinion.
    “Sorry my lord, this once, sadly, I agree, I agree completely but…I’ve been you servant too long I fear. I suddenly loath at the prospect of actually dealing with real problems in the way they are being presented to me by your intelligence service. Ah! If only I had an aid to remind me of the immoral, yet necessary thing to do, at the expense of his soul.”
    “Might I remind you what happened to your predecessor?”
    “Yes he died when he reported the problems in the way they were presented to him by your intelligence service, and he forgot to remind you what a horrible person you really are, resulting in his death, a faith I hoped to replicate or avert at the time of my employ.”
    Lothar smirked.
    “Well, was I ever was given the choice of becoming drooga or not?”
    “Was that before or after your brother’s assassination?...Sorry my lord.” Tuplar bowed his head.
    “No need Irinai…Anyway! What do we know about the state of Tellrn affairs?”

End so far

Explanation:

Ari means a warrior that has passed the test of manhood.

Drooga is a lord, one that has inherited his title.

Irinai. "Man in dark", or brother/friend.

Koll. Slaves.

Neura. Father, as in Ne which is used in names and is also a name for a superior.

Rer. An Ari who chooses to act as a scribe and write the clans history. Though this position can (and more often is) be filled by a educated Tiri.

Thu. Before.

Tiri. A person who has yet to take the test of manhood. Can also be used for a person who will never take the test.

Wak. Chieftan, a leader who is elected or (traditionally) takes leadership by force.

Other things to keep in mind are:

Naming, a person is named by their clan name, status/rank, personal name (1-3), name of the branch in the clan, fathers personal name (Ne), mothers personal name (Ki), and if previous affiliation then Thu <previous clan>.

Location/place can mean place in life i.e. status
    or
    condition i.e. Dead/rebel, wrong thinker

Stay usually means to keep to ones location/place.

Critique please! I intend to get better at this. I might, no I know I've overlooked many things.

[ February 17, 2007, 08:09: Message edited by: Zurga ]

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Danish?

3. Zurga Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Nationality or are you offering me pastry? If the former then no, I'm faroese so it's close. Do you know Kolding?

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hah, forget it. Someone with a bit of cricket might know what I'm on about!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.