1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kitrax’s guide to the System Configuration Utility for WinXP!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Kitrax’s guide to the System Configuration Utility for WinXP, Vista, and Win7!

Do you want to:
    Have faster boot times?
    Have fewer programs run at startup?
    Get rid of Window’s GUI boot?

Then read on! I will show you how to safely use the System Configuration Utility, which can do all of the above and more!

To get to the System Configuration Utility, go to Start > Run and type: msconfig

Behold the incredible utility you have summoned from the depths of Windows! Just be careful with it, as you can seriously screw your computer over if you do something dumb. For this guide we will ONLY be using the last 3 tabs on the top of the utility, which are ‘BOOT.INI’, ‘Services’, and ‘Startup’.

So let’s get started!

Are you tired of Window’s Graphic User Interface (GUI) during boot? You know, it’s the screen with the little scrolling bars? Well, you can kill it! To do so, click on the ‘BOOT.INI’ tab. Then check the box next to ‘/NOGUIBOOT’ on the lower left hand side. After doing this, do yourself a favor and click the ‘Services’ tab at the top so you don’t mess with anything else in under the ‘BOOT.INI’ tab...bad stuff will hapen if you do.

Now on to the ‘Services’ tab… Windows has a bunch of “helpful” services, some of which are essential, while others just take up space on your RAM. You can safely kill certain services that will save you RAM, boot time, and a headache! Once you’ve clicked on the ‘Services’ tab, a long list will appear...those are all the services on your computer. Now it’s up to you to decide which to kill and which to keep. Be careful and use common sense when doing this. I have a list for some that you can safely kill:
    Alerter
    Error Reporting Service
    Messenger
    Net Logon
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Remote Desktop Help Session
    Remote Registry
    Telephony **don’t disable if you need to use a dial-up modem!**
    Uninterruptible Power Supply **only disable if you don’t have one**
    Automatic Updates **only disable this you can remember to update Windows on a regular basis**
    Wireless Zero Configuration **only disable if you don’t have WiFi, or any other type of wireless connection**

There are a lot more that you can safely disable on you computer, but since no one’s computer is exactly the same, I can’t list much more than that...like I said, use common sense when disabling services. If you aren’t sure what a service does, try doing a google search for the exact name of the service, also look at the Manufacturer of the service for clues on what it does. Also, read my edit at the end of this post for an easier way that doesn't require google!!!

**Note, that if you’re having a problem with a program or something else, it may be because you killed a service that it requires to work, (i.e. trying to use a dial-up modem after disabling the Telephony service!) If you encounter a problem like this, just open msconfig back up and enable the service by checking the box next to it.**

Now for the ‘Startup’ tab. This section depends entirely on what programs you have installed on you computer. For this section I highly recommend you do a google search for the name of the programs that you can’t identify. For example I have a startup program that I recently disabled named CTDVDDet, which is a program installed by my Creative Labs USB soundcard that constantly checks to see if a DVD is in my drive. Since I don’t use the Creative Media Source or its DVD player, I promptly disabled it. A google search will bring up websites that will tell you exactly what the program does, what manufacturer it belongs to, and whether or not it is safe to disable it.

All you need to do now is click ‘apply’ and then ‘close’. After clicking close, it will ask you if you want to restart, or exit without a restart. Click 'Exit Without Restart'. The next time you boot up a dialog box will pop up telling you that you've ran the System Configuration Utility...just click the box to "never show this again" and click 'OK'...otherwise it will open the Utility when you click 'OK', and you’ll have to read this paragraph all over again...

Cool little utility huh? You're damn right it is! :p

[Edit]: Due to popular demand and laziness, I found another way of looking at all the services on a computer: Go to Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance. (If you do not see the Performance and Maintenance icon, you may be using Classic View. Just double-click Administrative Tools.) once in the Administrative Tools folder, click on the 'Services' icon. The list of services here has a description for most of the services and some will even tell you what will happen if you disable them! Just double click the service that you want to know more about, or to change its status. [end of edit]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Way cool.

I do think you should list the functions of all of those processes though. Many of us(Me) don't feel like looking them up because we are lazy.

I think I will be tinkering around with that this week though. I just got Windows XP home for my computer and I'll be doing a fresh install and tinkering however much I want.

3. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm too lazy for all that. I just use Enditall.

4. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Interesting, I'll have to look into this...

Thank you all-knowing Kitrax for sharing thy wisdom! ;)

5. Kitrax

Media:
    The ones I have listed are pretty much self-explainatory...they are to me atleast.

I try. Lately I've been enjoying sharing my knowedge of computers so much that I've been considering a job as a teacher...I know the local high school that I went to is is dire need of a MS Networking teacher. :rolling:

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Considering that
    Here is a few services Id like to get rid of too. Tell me if any of these are necessary for the comp to run.

Application Layer Gateway Service
    Indexing Service
    Clipbook
    Cryptographic Services
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    COM + Event System
    IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
    Server
    Workstation
    Smart Card Helper
    Smart Card
    Task Scheduler
    ICF/ICS

Tell me if I've cured you of your ambitions already :p

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Is there any way to get rid of the dreaded "activator"?

8. Kitrax

Media:
    You lazy bums! I'm not doing your google searches for you!

Although I can tell you that if you kill the Clipbook you won't be able to cut/copy/past anything. You can kill Server and Workstation if you're not on a network IIRC. You can kill the Task Scheduler if you don't use it, (i.e. have the system cleanup wizard or the defrag utility run on a certain day of the month). And that's about as much as I can remember off hand.

@Rednik, I'm not sure what you mean...sorry. :rolling:

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31

That thing that alerts the good folks at Microsoft and tells them everything about your copy of Windows.

10. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

One of the first things I do when I do a reinstall is go through my config utility.
    Why in the world do I need to send an error report everytime something happens or I close a program using the 'x' button?
    Does Microsoft really sit and read all those error reports and actually do something about it?

11. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Wow! Thanks for the guide, I found ALOT of bad stuff and Im sure my computer will run more smoothly now.

Here is a list of all the bad stuff and you can also do searches yourself (instead of using google)
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

[ October 17, 2004, 13:59: Message edited by: Bahir the Red ]

12. Kitrax

Media:
    Look, I found a better way of doing it...now you don't even have to go online...but that website that Bahir the Red posted is a good one, I recomend it for any services that aren't listed by windows.

Go read my edit at the end of my first post! :rolling:

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Many thanks to you, Kitrax. This is most helpful.

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'd like to resurrect this as I just found it useful today. Despite the surge of Vista and Win7, our company had a lot of XPs still installed due to certain applications that aren't compatible with the new OS.

Thanks Kits... these are helpful stuff.

15. Kitrax

Media:
    Errrr...there's only one of me. :p

Also this guide works just as well in Vista and Win7. :thumb:

But you're welcome nonetheless.

nior likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.