1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

King Kong!

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sir Belisarius, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I finally made it to the theater to see this one yesterday. Great flick! a little long, but great flick!!

Although you can tell PJ loved this movie as a kid with the loving attention to detail that seems to go into every shot. Everything looks very 1930s - it was awesome!

There were a few things that were a bit over the top, but overall, it's a great popcorn movie to enjoy at the theater. The best part about this movie IMHO: Andy Serkis

Andy Serkis has emerged as THE character actor of the new millennium! You may not SEE him all the time, but he is brilliant! He played Gollum and Smeagol in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, also serving as the template on which they built the CG Gollum. He refines his craft in Kong.

In King Kong, he plays the ship's cook and again lends his physical talents to bringing the CG Kong to life, working with the actors on set in the green suit, setting the mood. He may be one of my favorite actors! He steals scenes as the cook in this one and ******SPOILER COMING BELOW***
    and his character has one of the coolest onscreen deaths EVER! And I'm not talking about Kong falling off the Empire State Building.

Anyway, this film is worth seeing in the theater because it's bigger than life and fits perfectly on the big screen. PJ's character development and scene framing are excellent, even the biplanes seem real. The star in this is clearly Kong, and it seems, he's the real protagonist in this picture, and not any of the "human" characters.

Enjoy! Anyone else have thoughts on the new old Kong?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have not heard a bad word said about this film, which is amazing for a movie with a paper thin plot that everyone knows anyway.

I will try and see it some time soon.

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

It is amazing! I just saw it today, and wow! Kong looked so real that there was only one point in the movie at which he looked fake, and that was a 2 second shot of him in the theatre, when a light is shining on him in a certain way. Other than that, he was perfect!

The only thing I disliked about the movie was the multiple scenes with multiple large bugs. I don't like bugs.

Another surprising thing: Jack Black actually acted really well!

EDIT: Just figured it out: The actor who plays Preston (JB's assistant) was in Band of Brothers... that's where I recognized him from!

4. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

It is amazing!! I saw it on monday!! NAOMI WATTS = T3H GODDE55!!! mmm... Naomi Watss.... *drools*
    Oh yeah, King Kong was pretty cool too :)

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Great movie, I loved the action scenes with the three T-rexes, especially along the vines.

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I never knew Kong dies until a week before seeing it...

It was an alright film, but it's just not my thing. I like films I have to think about, and a gorilla smashing things just doesn't fit the bill.

7. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

A movie worth seeing :)

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Er..

not to break the trend but I found it quite draggy :rolleyes:

Sure, Naomi Watts looked good and Jack Black was a laugh and a pain as the director but I was pretty bored..

oh, just saw Alavin's response. We're the same then. I only watched it because it's a classic and because my girlfriend wanted to see it.

IMO, the best part of the movie is the first hour BEFORE Kong shows up :/

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't want to see it. I hate movies where the animal dies because of the stupidity of humans.

10. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Saw this before Christmas. I have been deliberately avoiding all reviews, previews, and writeups about this film, so the only 3 things I knew about the film was:

1. Peter Jackson directing it.
    2. Jack Black and Adrian Brody stars in it.
    3. It's the remake of the 1930's King Kong.

What I have to say about it after the movie.

1. It's almost a WOW all the way. I got a bit bored with the Kong and bi-planes. It gets kinda annoying pitying the ape too long.
    2. I was really surprise to know that Kong was Andy Serkis.
    3. Kong falling down from the ESB was a really great shot. Better than Gandalf's fall in Moria.
    4. Definitely will get the DVD.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I really liked it. I still think the original is better but it was very well made and they did an excellent job with the special effects.

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The bug scenes were a bit... I dunno, too over the top? Why didn't those oversized cockroaches just eat them all, but instead just swarm over them like mad and then get shot?
    Otherwise i liked it, not amazing, but i could maybe watch it again. And Kong really looked realistic and moved like a real one. So it was IMO a good movie.
    Only thing i really disliked when i was watching it were my candies, not even my four friends there wanted to have them when i offered. But that's hardly related to movies quality.

13. Newfie Banned

How can anyone say they liked this movie? The first hour was a dragfest; all these silly little subplots going on. The best scene was the Brontosaurus stampede but that was hardly worth the price of admisssion. Kong doing his Tyson impression was just laughable.

Peter Jackson cannot direct a movie with good script; he just relies on the magic of special effects. How bad was the acting and all those slow motion laugh scenes with the actors in LOTR ? What's with all the endings in Return of the King? The guy deserves credit for putting LOTR together but you won't catch me paying admission to see another one of his movies again. Hey Peter, get a decent script and then weave your magic. And cut out all the sentimental crap meant to jerk our emotions around because you can't pull it off. Anyway, just my two cents. Arrrggghhh!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.