1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing Mephistophales?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by fyernine, Mar 26, 2004.

1. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] So I didn't expect it to be easy - but right now I'm finding it impossible.

He's got some kind of damage resistance that absorbs ALL my damage and seems to last forever.

I spent 20 minutes of real time chopping at him with Aribeth and NAshyrra and the Sleeping Man and only managed to lower him to barely damaged. This required multiple ressurections of the henchmen by me as well as multplie heal potions on myself. Then I just gave up.
    It didn't seem like a true fight if the only way I could even stay in it was by ressurecting my henchmen every five seconds and drinking heal potions myself every ten seconds.
    So am I missing something? I've tried chucking spell breaches and dispel magic at him, in case the damage reduction is magical - though I'm pretty sure it isn't - it's just that ole devil hide.
    He seems totally immune to spells.
    He's immune to critical hits.
    How did everyone else kill him? Surely there's a way without ressurecting henchmen all the time and drinking about thirty heal potions???

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

He doesn't have any resistance to acid-based attacks so if you've got a weapon that inflicts acid damage, use that. If you have acid-based spells (assuming there are any) use them as well.

I fought him with Deekin as my henchman. My weapons were Enserric (upgraded to +8 and with acid damage added) and the Sonic Blade +8. I didn't have too much trouble with him.

I think the main problem is that he has damage reduction of 45/7 (might be 45/6) meaning that unless you're wielding at least a +7 weapon, any damage you inflict on him is reduced by 45 points. Acid damage ignores this resistance and just inflicts its natural damage on him. So without a +7 weapon or one with acid-damage added, you're going to have incredible difficulty winning this fight.

3. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

OK. I'll try the acid attack. I've been using the enserric sword and 8+ sonic astral blade. But the astral blade doesn't so much as nick him

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you're really having trouble, rub the genie bottle and buy all the Choking Powder he's got. Old Meph is a pushover with this stuff because he seems to be completely vulnerable to it.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I for one found him pretty easy. But then again, I was playing a Paladin 24 (I think)/RDD 10/Sorcerer 1, so I had sky-high saving throws and was 100% immune to fire. I had Aribeth and Deekin as my henchman, so Deeking was also 100% immune, and I equipped Aribeth with all the fire immunity items I could find. We just pounded away at him and he went down on the first attempt.

I don't know what class you are so I don't know if what I just told you helps at all, but I will say that increasing your fire immunity is key, and before the fight, blow all your money on Heal potions and, like BTA said, choking powder. I was alternating at the time between my Bastard Sword that did cold and strength-drain damage and the same type with acid damage, and I seem to remember the cold working a little better.

6. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Given that the game was balanced to be completed by a character of about level 26-28, I should hope that your 35th level character didn't have too much trouble. Perhaps you're mis-remembering your paladin levels? ;)

7. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hmmm, 35 levels *does* seem a little high now that you mention it. How'd you manage 35 levels anyway? I've played the game twice and my character has ended at either 26 or 27.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.