1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing Dragons With Ease...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Kitrax, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Alright, so get this. I'm almost done with ToB and my party is pretty powerfull. Every slingle dragon encounter in ToB has been fairly easy due to my Monk PC and Kelsey.

Here's the breakdown of the battle.

First, Kelsey stays out of sight while my PC and Sarevok start a fight. I have have Kelsey cast the HLA Improves Alricity(sp), then I have my monk use his HLA: Lunar Stance. Then Kelsey casts Timestop super fast.
    Since my Monk is now immune to Timestop, he uses the HLA that removes all spell protections with a single hit (Dragon's fists I think). Now my monk just keeps on whacking away while Kelsey casts Comet, Horrid Wilting, Chain Lightning, and any other damage spell before the timestop runs out.
    When it does, it's too late for the dragon and it usually dies within the next round when Kelsey uses his wand of lightning on it.

One thing that pisses me off during some battles, is often times, spellcasters will have a second spell trigger pop off while in timestop and after my first usage of Dragon Fists. :bang: I mean, they're in timestop! They shouldn't be able to do anything but die! :evil:

Call it cheese, but I worked hard to get those HLAs, and I'll be damed if I'm not going to use them! :rolling:

2. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Using cheese is fine. As long as you don't now complain that the game is too easy.

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I have better cheese, set 5 spike traps around the dragon or lure the wyrm on the trap field :D

4. Hux Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Awesome tactic Kitrax! I shall try this with opponents which piss me off (Draconis :evil: )

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Woohoo! damn now i can't wait until I get these powers since I downloaded that MOD! And here i had trouble with a couple dragons because I couldn't overwhelmingly force attack them from just off screen with a vast array of area affect spells if they pissed me off to much.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, you have tactics component smarter mages, they use triggers via scripts so these can not be disrupted or can be even casted in TS.

Did you try this strategy on Ritual Yellow Dragon Irakoudneg? That bad guy gives me headaches always.

Well, Chain Contingency is PERFECT for Dragons. Set 2x Pierce Shield:These will rip through spell defenses and lower MR to approx. 0. And a Breach will dispel annoying combat protections.

Cast CC again to release 3x Abi Dalzim's, start casting a TS. CC is perfect as it is not counted as a spell in one round, it is casted instantly, and you can cast another spell right after. In TS, CC will kick in, follow with an ImprovedAlacrity and dragon is yours to kill freely! Add more AbiDalzim's, Flame Arrows, MagicMisiles, Skulltraps, etc. and it will die. Fast. Set AutoPause when spell is casted and you will be very effectie with IA and Robe of Vecna.

7. Kitrax

Media:
    Grr! :bang: I hate that dude! Everyone thinks that Kangaxx is hard...they need to face Irakoudneg with a party fresh out of SoA! :mommy: I couldn't do it, even after 3-4 reloads. I am going to face Irakoudneg once more before I take on Baltazhar(sp). I'm eager to see what a Monk vs Monk will be like. :evil:
    You know, I've never tried that...I'll have to turn the auto-pause on next time. Thanks! :rolling:

8. dooms11 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How to kill every single dragon easily:

Cast time stop
    Cast Imp alacrity
    Cast spell trigger (3x lower resistance)
    Cast greater malison
    Cast skull traps, cone of cold, horrid wilting, etc.
    Collect loot from dead dragon as timestop ends.

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I'm really liking all of these techniques! I've heard a lot about this one though, but never tried it:

Before a Dragon comes into view, just put down a few Spike Traps and then when he comes into view just watch as he is shredded to bits!!! Other traps should work fine as well I'm guessing. Has anyone tried this, because I'm sure I heard it somewhere round here?

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

No single enemy is that difficult when you have six characters. Spike traps and such are cheesy, so you might as well beat them fair and square: get 4 sorcerers, lower resistance, and cast magic missile.

4 x 5 x 2 = 40 points of no save, no resistance damage. Enough to kill anything in about two turns. The point is that when you have found comboes like this, you have pretty much beaten the game.

11. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Heh... and to think I just flat out pounded the **** out of every dragon I ever fought, barely utilizing mages at all. I love my melee strength :) .

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I usually use traps, if I feel my party is not up to dragon standards. Perhaps, though, I shall try your method, Kitrax, with my all-female party (i'll start it as soon as BoM itempack comes out)...

13. Kitrax

Media:
    Whoa...ok, I just fought the "Improved Abazigal" and ened up fighting two dragons, a bunch of over-powered wyverns, and all the Ice Salamanders all in the same area. :eek: With all the chaos, Kelsey was able to take down the "new" dragons and most of the wyverns, but by the time they were all dead, Kelsey had no more lvl 9 spells to cast. So I had to use my monk, Sarevok, and a summoned Clay Golem as tanks to keep Abazigal busy while Immy, Aerie, and Jaheira cast their most powerfull spells until he died. :rolling:

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Wow! Did you have to reload, or did you kick their rear ends Kitrax style?

15. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Eh. The Majority of the Dragons I just set in on with area affect spells from just out of sight. In the core story really the only dragon that you don't know is going to be just sitting there is Draconis so I never saw it as unfair or going against the effort of role playing if they were out to kill me.

What Righteous person let's a black dragon live anyway? by the books they are the top of the Evil Heap when it comes to dragons. Followed closely by the Red.

And if you got to make it all harder on yourself. Get your mages back and out of sight and send a hasted char in to initiate dialog and stay just out of reach and keep the damned dragon traipsing around in the area affect spell.

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

That improved Abazigal fight was hard, but not nearly as hard as Improved Sendai from Oversight mod. Two dragons are dangerous, but I managed to keep human Abazigal busy until my 4 images easily killed Tamah (is she his wife? :D ) and then injured human Abby to make him dragon.

BTW, that cold salamanders really annoyed me, they have a FShieldCold, my poor kensai hit one with Sanchudoku+4, FshieldCold hit him, then an acidic arrow hit the salamander from Sanchuudoku+4, Fshield hit my kensai AGAIN, then another acid arrow, another Fshieldhit, and so on, so on; technically infinite amount of FAST cold blasts that killed my poor 200+HP kensai in a few seconds! It was NOT funny!

And Minsc was killed by Abby too, luckily my cleric/mage killed him with his heavy arsenal of spells.

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not a good idea: they will simply use their breath-weapon to smite you across the room. Even if you have max resistance, it's slooow...

18. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Kitrax would you please tell what mod those monk powers came from? They sound preety hardcore.

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

It is oversight mod, one of its component gives monks new and unique spiffy HLAs, but prevent them from getting good old Fighter HLAs, so some may think they are weakened. It is cooler though.

Can be found here:
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/downloads/index.php

20. Kitrax

Media:
    Yeah, what Silverstar said. It's part of the Oversight mod. I personally think that with the mod installed, monks are the supreme fighter class! :thumb:

As for the Improved Sendai fight...it *was* hard, but Kelsey, Immy, and Aerie were able to cast enough Commet, Dragon's Breath, and Horrid Wilting spells to kill off enough of her drow henchmen, so my monk and two tanks could concentrate on her various statues. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.