1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing a really hard foe (Spoilers and it's not a dragon!)

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Evilblood, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Evilblood Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

SPOILER

Does any know how to kill Gaxkang - sounds awfully familiar to another famous foe lol - in the Back alley in denerim ? He completely slaughters all my party even on easy mode ? My party is around level 18.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    It can be very hard.
    Or very easy:
    Spell Blast or how it is called (the 4th spell in the mana steal line of spells)
    completely destroys him. actually one shots are possible if you hit him while he has full mana und your magic score is high enough.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't remember the guy. I'll pay more attention in my current game.

4. Evilblood Gems: 1/31

Just beat him. That spell worked wonders. Thanks. :) By far the hardest opponent of the game so far although I've been putting off facing the High Dragon for my lvl 19 party sometime now. Drops some interesting loot as well.

5. Caradhras

Media:
    Is Gaxkang the mage that gets his own cutscene before you take him down? If so I guess the difficulty increases tenfold because you can't place your party members where you want.

Silly how cutscenes mess with your tactics.

6. Evilblood Gems: 1/31

Cutscene as some ratty looking rogue before he turns into a Arcane Horror ? Yes thats him.

7. Caradhras

Media:
    Thanks that was nagging me. I remember that fight now.

I'm convinced that without the cutscene it would have been a breeze.

8. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    It took a couple of times but I was able to use paralyse spells and crushing prison to great effect while my party smashed on him. He eventually died... :)

9. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I just wailed on him with melee and a healer as backup. He was resisting most of the spells I casted on him. Heck, I found him easier than most battles. In fact, lowly bandits give me ALOT more trouble (which is absolutely ridiculous considering I had little to no trouble with Gaxkang and the High Dragon. The bandits just swarm over my tanks and wail on my mages).

10. Caradhras

Media:
    I'd suggest trying to use crowd control spells more. Depending on your spell selection of course. Another way to deal with this is having a healer keeping your fighters alive instead of casting area spells like nightmare.

You probably have some useful abilities that will stun nearby foes, check your Warrior's talents. If you use tactics, pick these talents for when your character is surrounded. Two handed sweep, Scattershot and Whirlwind help a lot with crowds. Stunned foes can be dispatched very quickly with a good Rogue.

There is also the cheesy way to deal with crowds, i.e. lure a few enemies to take them out one by one. Not satisfying but effective. Shifting to ranged attacks is almost as good whithout feeling so cheap. When you take into account the number of cutscenes that will artificially ruin your party's placement that isn't so unfair to exploit the AI in such ways.

Something I haven't tried much yet is trapmaking. It won't help in most encounters but I can think of a few areas where it can make life much easier. The same goes for bombs. There are indeed may possibilities.

If you can beat the worst creatures in the game so easily you should wipe the floor with bandits. ;)

As far as I'm concerned I'm still having problems defeating Revenants without abusing cone of cold or potions.

11. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I completly agree! For me, the beginning of the game was a WHOLE lot harder than the ending. I'll even say that I reloaded a ridiculous amout of times in the bandit quests in Denerim, yet I didn't even reload against the final boss of the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.