1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai/Thief

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by thetruth, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

you forgot robe of vecna... a kesai\ mage without it is a wuss...

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Not really...

Aslyferund Chain +5 is cool as well...

That plus Stoneskin and other similar buffs are great for head on combat.

I tend to only use Robe of Vecna for heavy spell casting battles...like boss fights, or major encounters.

Most of the time though, I just have a decent chain mail on to bring my AC down.

3. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hmmm... Except Kensai/mage can't wear Aslyferund Chain or any chain mail...

If a fighter/thief has multiple assasinations it really kick ass. And IMO is more powerful if you don't solo.

But a Berserker/mage beats a kensai/mage...

[ June 22, 2005, 20:06: Message edited by: 14 ]

4. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Am I the only one who prefers a Wizardslayer/thief? Again, the UAI is helpful, and the spell failure and MR are simply incredible.

Although, mage combos are 'better' in the sense of being powerful, because you can abuse spells (mislead come to mind- infinite backstabs) much easier than abusing attacks.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Actually, as far as I'm aware, you the only one I know who plays a Wizardslayer of any kind... Good for you!

Besides, as K/T and K/M are a different style of play (Hide 'n' Stab -vs- Buff 'n' Tank), which makes direct comparisons difficult. Although a Wizardslayer with a rapid-fire missile weapon could indeed lay on the spell failure % very quickly, and UAI would override his disadvantages as they do for the Kensai. So how come most people have never even tried 'em? :hmm: Well, I'd probably say it's because a K/T's backstabs are enough to lay on death to most mages, and death = 100% spell failure! :D That, and a Wizardslayer's restrictions are easily the most annoying in the game. Why can't they drink potions, fer chrissake? That makes no sense at all, in BG2's context. They'd be no fun without UAI from a Thief dual, I reckon. At least a Kensai gets the Shield amulet, or Barkskin from a friendly Druid. There's literally no way to compensate for the Wizardslayer's restrictions without dualling. Very poorly balanced, imho.

6. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Actually there is. First off you'll need to download the official patch... :p (fixes certain Wizzy Slayer restrictions, like the ridiculous no potions one)
    The only kit that is unbalanced, in my eyes, is the Beastmaster. (although he's pretty cool from an RP point of view)

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hm, true, at least he should have had better summons or using metal weapons (not armor).
    Then again, there aren't many staff or spear rangers, and this class motivates you to try (either that or the ridiculous-sounding dual clubs... rolf).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.