1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai / Thief Dual Class

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tiger, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Tiger Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] If you dual class a Kensai to a Thief and get the thief high level ability 'Use Any Item', then can you wear armor? If so, is that a bug? and do can you do similar things as a Cleric / Thief (DC or MC) and use bladed weapons, bows etc?

Also, can a thief (any thief), with Use Any Item ability hide in shadows while wearing plate mail armor?

Thanks in advance,
    Tiger

2. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hmm I've thought about that also. I am almost 99% percent sure that it'll work (haven't tried myself) cause use anyitem ability overrides anything. The ability is permanent. So it is never disabled whatever you wear/do. And it isn't a bug :) Yes a cleric/thief could then use bladed weapons but wouldn't be able to get proficient with them.

Anyways use any item is incredible and would probably make the kensai invincible. Although it isn't a bug, i can't imagine a kensai in plate mail :)

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I would at least think that any armor that doesn't allow a thief to hide in the shadow normally, even if he can now wear it, still wouldn't allow him to hide with it on, use any item ability or not. Now mind you I haven't tried it. I just base it on the idea that figter/thieves and rangers still can't hide in the shadows while wearing anything more than studded leather or certain chainmails or scalemails. I think a thief wearing full plate would be treated as a fighter thief would when wearing such and trying to hide: out of luck ;)

4. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

true enough :) Still you have the shadow dragon armor. Or if don't want to go with armor , there's always the trustworthy bracers of defence AC3. And you can use a nice shield if you feel like it. Better still, i can hear you say helmets :)

5. Arek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Don't forget that +5 elven chain with protection from normal weapons.

6. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Backstabbing w/Carsomyr. :D

An extra mage, that can cast spells through scrolls.

A kensai that can finally wear armor (not so bad) and bracers (that BUUUGS me!!!).

I imagine it would be a very powerful class, if you could bear the pure kensai bit (low AC) for a while, plus the very long transitionw while dual-classing.

7. Arek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Use Any Item is Awesome. Kensais can wear plate, priests can wield swords, wizardslayers can use magic items, but thieving abilities can only be used if wearing elven chain, leather, studded or nothing (you can however, equip larger shjileds than before without disabling your thieving abilities.

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

yes, kensai/thieves can wear armour, cast spells, use carsomyr and do all sorts of nifty things with use any item

but backstab does not work with anything other than thief weapons

kensai/thief becomes the ultimate one man commando later on - which is why i stopped playing kensai/hieves - its too easy

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

wouldn't assasination make you able to backtab with non-thief weapons, like 2-handed swords?

10. Tiger Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Thanks guys.

I'll probably try one out as a second player character in my current Monk game. If I find him too powerful once I get Use any Item ability then I'll probably drop him.

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

lokken, i have yet to try assasination with carsomyr yet but i suspect that it might in fact work, cheap as it sounds - fighter(or kensai)/thieves are very powerful in ToB if they are fully exploited

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.