1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai mispelled!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Goli Ironhead, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hello, after hours of investigating, i shall bring you this completely pointless knowledge:
    Kensai is actually mispelling of kensei! As Wikipedia states, kenseis were warriors in japan who fought so flawlessy they were calle "sword saints". Miyamoto Musashi, himself, was one of the kensei, and surely the one worthy of the title. It also points out that kensei were mispelled as kensai or some similar way many times and still are. As the games point out, kensais are the ones taught to fight so deadly and fast that they're called "Sword saints"
    So now i'm wondering, should a mod be made to correct this error? And could it be done, is kensai a hard-coded error?

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don'T think the name of a kit is unchangable.

I really understand your concern, and appreciate your hard work and hatred against this wrong. Though the real question is, unfourtunately'will people actually care about making a mod just for this?'

Then again, this is a fantasy game, not a realistic game, which claims to be original and true to every aspect of our world. Maybe these ferocious fighters are called 'kensais' in Faerun?

3. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Heh - we could also add the fact that you've misspelled "mispelled" ;)

4. Gastong Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Guys, I don't think this was the point of this topic.

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

And my english fails me ;)
    Well, my point was that i'm pretty much a purist. Their description about kensei fits, so it think it's really just misspelling.
    Perhaps no one cares, althought Silver seems to appreciate it, i just thought i should point it out.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ofcourse I do appreciate your concern pal, and salute your effort to right this wrong.

BUT I really don't think anybody will care enough to make a mod for this, OR anybody will download that mod, for instance. So relax, and have fun! It is not the end of the world!

8. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

I know that no one would make it or use it, as well as it won't be affecting anything.
    Well, for vengeance I'm going to make kensai, named kensei and slay everything in the name of the correct spelling! That should teach 'em :)

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

If you do make a fix for it, submit it to Baldurdash.

10. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If I ever bother to mod the Kensai kit, it'll be to change it into something else which actually belongs in the Faerun setting. I'm a purist too.

11. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Does the pronounciation differs also or just its spelling?

[ March 12, 2006, 20:11: Message edited by: Ofelix ]

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Well, i'm not that expert with pronouncation, but it's not pronounced completely like English. Some of my friends claim Japanese is pronounced like Finnish, but there's some differences.
    Perhaps someone else who knows more about pronouncing would help here?

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Maybe someone should write to someone at Bioware or something and ask them why they decided to spell it that particular way. I'd LOVE to hear the response! :D

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Perhaps they would be confused and send me all their good games for free to keep me quiet! MUAAHAHA! :D
    Seriously, they would probably just say that it was a mistake and they're sorry and so on.

15. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Yes. The 'sai' part is pronounced as rhyming with 'eye', whereas 'sei' would be pronounced like 'say'.

16. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Thanks, that's what I meant. At least it should be pronounced that way.

17. Fly2tHeSkY

Umm, I'd rather prefer 'kensai' to 'kensei' because the 'eye' pronunciation just sounds better! Gives it that more 'asian' feel to the kit I reckon.

18. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

"sai" is a close-range weapon, guess "sei" means saint or such, due to the fact "ken" means sword. So translation would perhaps be "Sword sai".

19. Fly2tHeSkY

Oh. Well I guess the description of the Kensai was the 'sword saint' so maybe 'kenaei' would be a better name. Still, I'd prefer kensai, just for the way it's spelt and pronounced. It doesn't really occur to me how it's spelt :p

20. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Ken is pretty much the same, it's the "sai" or "sei" part that has the different spelling.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.