1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai/Cleric bug?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by nunsbane, Oct 8, 2007.

1. nunsbane

nunsbane

When I dual class from a Kensai to a mage or thief I am able to use armor appropriate for the class and all weapons allowed by either or both of the two classes. When I dual a Kensai to a cleric I am unable to use armor at all and cannot use weapons outside the capability of the cleric. Is this a bug?

2. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

hmm.

a multiclassed cleric is resptricted to weapons usable by a cleric, regardless of the other class.

ive never dualed to a cleric or ever before, but from what i gather its like being one class then like another, until you surpass your old classes level, then your are like a multiclassed character, only you no long lvl in your old class.

so if you start as a kensai then you dual to cleric you are now a lvl 1 cleric and as such are subject to clerics ethos, no bladed weapons, then when you get to a lvl higher than the lvl you dualed at you are now a kensai/cleric.

ok i didnt answer anything im just trying to understand your problem in case it happens to me and i dont know why its happening.

I always thought when you dualed because you now lvl in the new class, you are subject to the ethos of the new class.

weird that a dualed fighter/mage or fighter/thief can use any weapon, even mage and theif have weapon restrictions, but a fighter/cleric is limited to only what a cleric can use.

must be something that is specific to clerics, or its like you said some kind of bug.

sorry for not helping, but you raised a good point.

3. nunsbane

nunsbane

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Any dual class character starts at level 1 in the new class upon dual classing (except that the character keeps all HPs from the original class). The character is restricted by the limitations of the new class until the number of levels in the new class exceeds the number of levels in the old class at which point the abilities of both classes are available to the character.

The game works properly for Kensai/mage and Kensai/thief but apparently not for Kensai/cleric.

4. Elfen Lied

thats what i said, just long winded is all.

odd it works for a F/M and a F/T but not a F/C.

5. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

IIRC, the clerics weapon restrictions take precedence in any multi or dual class combo

6. Elfen Lied

i thought that might be the case.

i know it does for multi, but i wasnt sure about dual.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Thieves and Mages can't use all weapons because they don't know how to. Dualing to a Fighter (or from a fighter, or starting as a multi-class) gives them the expertise to be able to use them. Your average Mage or Thief is going to use any extra advantage they can get.

Multi or dual cleric(or druid)/fighters would have the knowledge to use bladed/piercing weapons, but choose not to (or are obliged not to) because of their beliefs or ethos. After all if they did anything to displease their god, then they wouldn't be looked upon too favourably.

It's not a bug, just a roleplaying dynamic.

8. nunsbane

nunsbane

Thanks for the info. Guess that puts an end to my Kensai/cleric ambitions...I won't have a *Sword Saint* beating monsters down with a stick.

9. Elfen Lied

he could be like Musashi Miyamoto (Vagabond). he used a wooden sword. guess you'd use a staff or something.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you kidding me?!?!? A kensai/cleric dual wielding hammers and flails (and the occasional mace) would be a killer in this game. Anomen can do serious damage.

Personally, I think a berserker/cleric is a better choice.

11. Elfen Lied

i make multiclassed clerics fairly often and they rack up the kill totals.

12. nunsbane

nunsbane

There is no question that a K/C would be a kick arse force in the game.

The problem is that I view a kensai as more of a sophisticated blade slinger who deftly liberates opponents of appendages rather than a strong arm bruiser who bludgeons his enemies into paste. It's an aesthetic preference.

However, I could see myself bashing through the campaign with a berserker/cleric - been meaning to try such a character for some time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.