1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kenneth Copeland: My financial records belong to God

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Is Kenneth Copeland ...

1. Greedy and Creepy.

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. Creepy.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A true, if creepy, Man of God.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Creepy televangelist Kenneth Copeland's opulence is finally getting some senate and media attention. Republican (!) Sen. Chuck Grassley asked several prominent televangelists for financial information. He specifically requested details about aircraft owned by Copeland’s Church. Copeland replied in the above fashion that this is between him and God alone.

Copeland's message is simple enough: If you donate money, seed, to him, you'll become rich too, because Jesus will reward you for your faith, as, according to Copeland, Bible believers receive the hundredfold return on their seed (if you stay poor, blame yourself for your lack of faith). In that respect, it isn't exactly good taste from him to preach that to the poorest of the poor in South America and Africa, but that might just be me. And it might just be me who suggests that him disappearing from the board of Oral Roberts University, that then vowed to have higher standards of financial accountability, is more than a freak accident. No, obviously, it's the forces of Satan conspiring against him.

In any case, Copeland made news for letting his followers donate him a sexy new Cessna Citiation X, so far the fastest biz jet around, and worth some 17,5-or-so million dollars. Coupled with his general billionaire lifestyle it strongly suggests the question whether his tax exempt church truly deserves that privileged status.

To me the man is utterly revolting, and so I gleefully await his inevitable final encounter with the IRS. But then, he probably has some sly bookkeepers.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Revolting here, too. This whole preaching style (if you give, you will be financially rewarded, along with if you believe enough it will be give to you) is a disturbing trend that was very popular a few decades ago ('80s and early '90s), but is obviously still kicking around. Most, if not all, of the pastors preaching this are essentially con-men selling snake-oil. I wish he could be charged as a con-artist, but these guys generally don't promise any particular and measurable gain.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well since its proven that the bible is completely made up-he is a con-artist, and should get spanked. But people are giving him money willingly, no? If people are stupid enough to do that, they don`t deserve any better. Kudos to him for making cash.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Ok, I'm seriously hoping you're joking here, but I'm terribly afraid you're not. Please tell me you are.

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Most everything in the bible is based on Egyptian religion and mythology. The bible was written by a greek king about 300 years after the events in the new testament. The name Jesus is also greek, mind you. Its just a book written to controll the masses.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

God's work is not about temporal things like money, but rather about spiritual matters like love, forgiveness and repentance. Further, any money raised above and beyond what is needed to keep the ministry afloat (responsibly) is to further these ends, like helping the poor and needy, coming to the aid of people in disaster striken areas or what have you. I don't claim to know what Copeland claims the money is going to, but I bet that he is embezzling way too much of it. That would be where the criminal charges come in...

Rawgrim: We've gone down that route in other threads before. I have no desire to go through that again.

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Its ok, Gnarf. NOG and I are having a productive discussion about it in PM. So there is no spite going around, nor any fear of it either.

8. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

This is pretty standard practice in most large congregations. Look at rev. wright, he of the loud voice, he sold a piece of land that he had purchased to his church for less than he paid for it & now they are building him a 10,000 sq. ft house with a $10 million dollar church account attached to it. Which, sense they are a tax-exempt entity, they never have to disclose what they spent the money on. Gotta love those church loop-holes.
    Heck the baptist church up the road is just as bad, the head preacher has a house that the church pays for, 2 cars that are replaced every 3 years, $60K a year in salary & $10k a year into college funds for his kids. Heck the 2 part-time childrens preachers who work at the church 1 day a week make $25k a year each. Thats pretty good for (8x52=416) about 400 hrs work a year.
    I think religion is a good thing for a lot of people but it seems to have become a business.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh well, as long as people are stupid enough to freely donate their money to him, he can keep it (why bring in the IRS anyway? They're gifts from one - stupid - person to another, why do you think that you deserve a slice?)
    Frankly, I'd rather have greedy televangelists running around instead of greedy bureaucrats, I'm at least not forced to pay the televangelists, any donation they receive happens with mutual consent.

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Martaug, that isn't standard of most churches I've seen or been in. Many of the ones, even fairly big ones, I've seen are struggling, with aging equipment, poor pay for everyone, and a house for the pastor that should have been torn down a decade ago. Mind you, it is standard practice for the church to provide a house for the pastor and his family.

As for Revs. Wright, Sharpton, and the like, they're just as bad as this guy.

EDIT: Just remembered the name of this kind of theology: Prosperity Theology. Basically it says one of two things: if you give money, money will be given to you in X amount more than you gave (total BS) and if you believe enough, whatever you want will be given (more total BS).

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've never been fond of televangelists -- their venality has been proved far too often IMHO. As a person of faith I believe that people should be allowed to do as they wish with their money in terms of their faith (I pay a tithing of 10% to my religion) but if it can be proved that a preacher is committing fraud the government should punish him (or her) severely.

In Copeland's case, he should be required to turn over his records to an investigating authority, just as I think all people should do if the evidence warrants a court order to do so.

12. martaug Gems: 23/31

@ NOG, notice that i said most LARGE congregations, this church is the largest one in town besides the catholic church & has a membership of around 2,000. I knew a lady that worked in the church doing their paperwork, she said it wasn't unusual for them to take in at least $50k every sunday in donations. They do a lot for the community but all of their preachers are well compensated. Like morgoth said people are doing it of their own free will so it doesn't matter what we think. This is also the church that all the community muckity-mucks go to, so they have a very well-to-do congregation.

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think the IRS is interested in Copeland's personal salary and how much he is personally syphoning off the donated sums, and whether or not he's paying enough taxes. The donations go to his ministry, not him. There is likely some embezzlement going on as well...

14. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I'm currently in a church with a registered congregation of about 3,000, and Sunday attendance fluctuates from ~2,500 to 5,000 and what I described is the current case. Of course, some of that is due to poor financial planning in the past, but we've been struggling for some time.

Gnarf, the pastor's salary is also tax exempt. The question would come down to is he embezzling funds and do the church's activities warrant the tax-exempt status.

15. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Are you sure? While certain fringe benefits like medical insurance premiums, group life insurance, cafeteria plans, or housing stipends paid for or provided by the church are deductable, a minister's salary is still subject to the income tax. Granted, ministers often don't pay taxes, but this is actually because their food, housing, medical, and life insurance are already provided for them by the church. With all of those fringe benefits, their actual salaries are often low enough that they needn't pay taxes on them*.

* In the catholic church, some order priests like the Friars of the Atonement take a vow of poverty and don't even receive a salary. Their food, clothing, housing and (if needed) car are all provided for by the church, in addition to a tiny monthly stipend. They don't pay taxes...but they're also poor.

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Drew, my brother is seriously considering becoming a full time pastor, and that's one of the things he was suprised to find. The pastor's salary from the church is tax-exempt. Now, private speaking gigs, CD sales, etc. are all taxable income, but the salary for being a pastor is tax-exempt.

18. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    NOG, it likely depends on the method of pay. If the pay consists of a housing allowance, a clothing allowance, food allowance, a per diem, etc, it probably wouldn't be taxed, but the CPA I asked (I called a friend before posting because I didn't want to look like a dumbass) told me that yes, a minister's salary, if he has one, will still be taxed. Maybe Snook should weigh in with his professional opinion...

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Reminds me of playing PnP, where we had a obstructive/destructive player, and at times he played along so moronic that our DM intervened: You hear roaring thunder, lightning is striking into the ground all around you. Care to make a saving throw? ...

20. martaug Gems: 23/31

In the "tax guide for churches & religious organizations" it says "unlike other exempt businesses or organizations, a church is not required to withhold income tax from the compensation that it pays to its duly ordained, commisioned or licensed ministers for performing services in exercise of the ministry"
    It also says that " the compensation that a church pays to its ministers is not subject to FICA taxes"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.