1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Keldorn or Korgan?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, May 16, 2014.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Your thoughts on which one to use? My party doesn't really have an alignment that is either "good or evil".:

Minsc = (NG)
    Yoshimo = (N)
    Aerie = (LG)
    Haer Dalis' (CN) Trying to get the fight over Aerie started. How?)
    Korgan = (CE) or Keldorn = (LG)
    Myself (fighter/thief if that matters) [whatever alignment that will mater?]

So far Aerie and Korgan haven't bothered each other yet so I'm not sure how that will play out if I keep Korgan.
    I've never been through the end with any of them except Minsc so I'm trying to get through with them if I can.
    Next I'll try with Jan Jansen

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Korgan would be my choice.
    Simple because he is a beast of a Tank.
    And give the right "Tools" he becomes unstoppable.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Korgan is a good fighter, but not much more. Minsc does the rage and fighter thing as well. Keldorn is the best anti-mage NPC in the game.

Powergame considerations aside, just pick one based on whose banter you want to hear. Or pick one up for a while, do his quest, then swap him out for the other one.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    IMO, an Inquisitor is an overpowered beast, especially once you give him Carsomyr, but even before that. The power of his dispel magic, and the free True Sight, are just awesome. Korgan has the benefit of slightly faster leveling because the fighter table moves a bit faster than the Paladin table. If you removed the nerfing of the weapon specializations (such that the fifth point really is a decent difference maker), then maybe you can make an argument based on the utilization of the extra 1/2 attack and damage over every fight as opposed to the benefit of Keldorn against magic using types, but once Carsomyr comes back into the equation and once you consider that the only real danger to any half decent party is EXACTLY the magic using types, I just don't see it as being close.

Caveat -- you can pretty much win this game with any mix of characters, so if Keldorn's dialogue bugs you, drop him.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Neither. Take Mazzy. Although Mazzy with Korgan is good ... but then Minsc with just about everyone is good (especially Edwin if they don't fight).

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Keldorn is a better version of Minsc. Take Keldorn and Korgan, dump Minsc.

Or....

Dump Minsc, take Mazzy and Korgan like T2 said. They are very entertaining when in the same party.

7. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Nope. I haven't come across anyone who's banter I have any issues with :)

You can have them both in the same party without one of them actually attacking the other or leaving the party?

OMG Mazzy I am SOO sorry little one. I forgot you! Your my 3rd favorite NPC and I FORGOT you. Please forgive me....??

Do Boo & Lilacor count as favorite NPCs?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I think of the two in terms of OP I would say take Keldorn. Dispel magic is not just powerful it is a life saver. You can use it to take away enemy protections and to save your party members from certain death (such as when they are held). True sight is also fantastic and having it so quickly on tap is amazing.

Korgan is a fine beat stick but that is all he is. Offensively he is nastier but he will not bring anything but slightly better destructive power due to an extra half attack over keldorn (and a few extra points of damage). His rage will give some nice immunities but it is so personal that he does not bring as much to the party.

However Korgan is hilarious if you have Mazzy. On the other hand he will end up killing some good characters in your party if you have them.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just can't keep Keldorn past his quest. If I'm evil I don't want him and if I'm good I can't tell him to leanve his family....

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    That's the same problem I'm having. I love the guy but so does his family. Family always comes first.

---------- Added 2 hours, 41 minutes and 3 seconds later... ----------

Is there something you do that makes Keldorn's quest start? If so how can I avoid it?

I'm seeing a lot of love for Keldorn. Is the Inquisitor you kit of choice? Or is it Cavalier or Undead Hunter?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Inquisitor, no question. The true sight is great in that I generally don't have many true sights memorised to dispel every mislead or projected image that most mages summon. And the dispel is great for dispelling fear, stun, hold, whatever on your party members or getting rid of invisibility, the flame/cold shield, PfMW and what not.

On the whole, it makes the fights with mages and liches much quicker, in a way that's definitely noticeable when you don't have an inquisitor in your party. I still play the other kits, but it's mostly for novelty value.

12. T2Bruno

Media:
    I like his voice set. Plus I'm usually playing a good character so he fits.

13. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Is there something you do that makes Keldorn's quest start? If so how can I avoid it?

14. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

You have to avoid walking into the government district with him in the party. When you go into the gov district with him he will say that you should go see his family in the district. As far as I know it will never come up so long as you don't go there with him in the party.

15. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Like everyone else said, Inquisitors are a god among mortals. Mages are deadly at the higher levels and with one of those bad boys in your party they might as well be goblins for all the good they will do against you.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

....and if you are Neutral?

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 42 seconds later... ----------

Depends. Inquisitor is the most useful. UH is great when dealing with Bohdi's group and my personal fav. Cav is great versus the Wyrms and Demons, also fun to play. No missle weapons leads to "Charge!" over and over.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, obviously, you're a milquetoast... ;)

18. Blades of Vanatar

Timid or Bloom County?

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh yeah! The Bloom County cockroach! Loved that guy :)

But I did say a, not the milquetoast... :)

20. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd say that you should take Keldorn first until he leaves the party for the sake of his family. Then go back and take Korgan or Mazzy.
    Don't rush the quest by excessive sleeping, but do try to complete the quest as quickly as possible so you can tailor Korgan's level ups to your liking.
    Doing it this way gives you the best of both worlds.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.