1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Keeping Black Razor and Good Rewards (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by starwalker, Mar 14, 2006.

1. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

SPOILER
    I figured out how to keep it and keep from going evil for killing the enslaved genie. I am surprised it's such an easy little trick in the game.

Much like you have your party member hasted in the selfishness test and just have them open up the good door and you don't lose the dex and the like.

The Genie has a very simple solution. Just Pickpocket him and you'll get the Tear of Bhaal. It will default to the good reward. You keep Black Razor and get the tear then walk out and continue on with the other tests.

[ March 14, 2006, 17:14: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Heh, that's much easier than my method of charming the genie with a Mind Flayer Control Circlet (to prevent him from leaving after giving him Blackrazor), giving him the sword and then bash him to death to get the sword back. Btw, how do you avoid getting talked to by the genie? Can you simply hide in shadows to do that?

As for the selfishness test, I usually cast Spell Immunity: Divination to avoid the loss of hp and dex.

I'm curious though, is there a similar way to avoid the stat point loss in the dream when Jonny Boy takes your soul?

3. Gastong Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

yes, i can't remember but its something like not letting the demon talk to you, i've done it and it is in a walkthrough her somewhere

4. starwalker Gems: 16/31

you talk to it automatically but you should find an option asking if you can come back later and he'll say he'll be there and has no where else to go or something like that. Then you move up to him and just pickpocket him. You might get some gold first but the Tear of Bhaal is on him.

5. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

How much XP do you get from killing him anyways? I don't remember him being that hard anyway so why don't you guys just kill him!

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Which? For the Black Razor or the Demon in the dream? For the Black Razor because it turns your alignment evil and some of us don't want that which has always been the big question on how to get both the good reward and the Black Razor sword.

7. Gastong Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The demon in the dream where you fight bhaal you talk to the demon and then quickly run inside cause it has to touch you before it can take your stat point

8. Fly2tHeSkY

I didn't know your alignment changed ...

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The dream demon warrants a separate thread.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just tried it for a bit, but whenever I try to pickpocket the genie, I get the message "target has no items". I even get this message after I've given him Blackrazor, when he should still have Blackrazor on him.

I also couldn't get my kidnapped party member at the selfishness test to open the door, because his circle was blue (the same kind of blue as you get when you lose control of your slayer change in the maze). Could this be a fix from the Baldurdash fixpack?

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Baldurdash 'fixed' the 'bug' with the companion kidnapping demon. I haven't found a way to get by it, either. I haven't tried a Contigiency of Dispel Magic with the trigger of Helpless. Dan Simpson's walkthrough has more info. You must be quick with the pause and have that character equipped with boots 'o speed.

I was wondering if Baldurdash noticed the pickpocket 'bug' of the Blackrazor and 'fixed' it as well.

12. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    No, it hasn't. The pickpocket still works with Baldurdash.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I heard that trying to talk with him when you surrender the blade but BEFORE he teleports will disrupt his spell so he will stay there. Then you can kill him at your leisure and take the sword back! Can you confirm it? (or you could juct make a very fast and succesful pick-pockets attempt?)

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Silverstar:
    There are a couple things that could be wrong with that. One, you likely wouldn't be able to talk with him, getting the "X appears busy" message. Two, if you kill him afterwards, him being dead ought to trigger the evil reward instead of the good one.

And finally, for all you people who are so obsessed with gaining the good reward and the Blackrazor: For shame, you cheese merchants you. :p The entire idea is that giving up the Blackrazor to free the genie is a good act, while keeping it to use for your own purposes without caring what will happen to the innocent genie is an evil one. If you steal it back before he leaves, any DM worth their salt would make the genie unable to leave. And I don't imagine he'd be too happy about you taunting him like that. ;)

As for the selfishness trial: just get the PPG Quest Pack already! It includes a Revised Hell Trials component, which gives you neutral options. When you get to the selfishness demon, take the neutral path and challenge the demon to a fight. After you pound on each other for a while, he'll give you the Tear and you don't have to sacrifice attributes or party members.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@Felinoid

I remember doing something like that, I tell you, I stopped the genie from teleporting and killed him, and re-gained the sword. I thought 'uh oh I am turning reaaaly evil, for sure' but to my suprise I didn'T, for some strange reason game thought I did the good way, and I ended up getting the sword AND preserving my Neutral Good alignment! :shake:

While I agree that is kinda cheesy and cheating, and I should feel guilty. Meh I didn't use the weapon that much anyway, it was weaker in comparison to all other nice stuff I had thanks to my 30+ mods! And plus it was only +3. Sheesh! :p

16. starwalker Gems: 16/31

I was just screwing around when I found it out.

All I have is Ascension. Monk HLA's from Oversight and Kelsey installed currently. As well as the official patches. No Balderdash fixpack on mine.

I can steal with him. But if I give him the sword first then I automatically get the target has no items thing. No pickpocketing the sword even if your quick.

Thing is that while a DM would make certain judgement calls. The Game says you have made your choice as soon as you have the tear of Bhaal in your possession. Just so happens that it defaults to the good side.

I haven't been able to disrupt and end his Teleporting out either way though.

Oh. I did use my familiar to pick the pocket of the genie as well. The Lawful Neutral one. Suppose I should do something to see if that makes a difference now that you got me thinking about it.

17. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    The Genie is there to guard the tear. Once the genie figures out that you have the tear, his duty is ended. Stealing the tear is a neutral act. The genie doesn't get hurt, and you get to keep the sword. Everybody wins. :)

18. Fly2tHeSkY

If you kill him do you get a rep loss? Or just a different prize at the end of that part of the test?

19. starwalker Gems: 16/31

If you kill him I believe you get a few hitpoints. the sword of course and your alignment changes to evil.

20. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I remember that I was trying to take Blackrazor without having to kill the Genie, but as Starwalker said it was impossible.First I returned the sword to him for the good tear but when I tried to pickpocket it back I got the ''Target has no items'' message.

This is the only way I would ''accept''.Good alligned characters should not kill the Genie :nono:

As for the Demon Selfish I have found an interesting way to cheat him:

After the Demon speaks to you immediately pause the game.Then,while the game is paused,click on the left door to open it.Unpause and immediately, BEFORE you open the door,talk to the Demon.He will think that you have already opened the door and will give you the good tear ;) .

This is the only way for a non-mage soloer to take the good tear without having to sacrifice attributes.But it's also cheating :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.