1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Just sign if you love ID2.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by rascricket, Mar 13, 2008.

1. rascricket Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Yup....as simple as it sounds. Sign this thread if you love Icewin Dale 2.

If you like, tell us why you love it so. Tell us what it does 'right' or 'wrong', if you feel that way. Personally I love the game, but I'd like to hear from people who are also currently having a lot of fun with the game.

Whether itsd your first play-thru or your tenth, tell us about it. Whats your party like?

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'll admit I like the game. Some things it does better than IWD1, others not, but overall it's not a bad game. The subraces and class system are a lot of fun to play with, combat is fun (more so than in the first game IMO) and some of the individual segments are quite good. I think the game's major flaw is how disconnected these bits are from each other. Ice Temple, Monk monastery, Underdark, Mind Flayer city... the continuity between the different areas seems to be lacking, though I could never point out exactly what was missing. The story is also disappointing, as the twins had the potential to be far more interesting than they were.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This game is not a traditional favourite amongst the Baldur's Gate fanatics on these Boards, but I really enjoyed it because I liked the 3e character generation choices and the way you could tackle the game in different ways with different parties. I also liked how some of the powerful treasure was random and you only got it sometimes.

And for some reason, I found the hidden Abominable Snowman to be hilarious in its pointlessness.

4. Gavial Gems: 1/31

Simply love it because I love tinkering and planning with classes and 3rd edition makes this so much more possible.

I must say though that I like TOEE more, for one reason only. Turn based combat (I really get tired of the start parts in both games though, running and doing quests ).

5. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Well I played IWD2 after a BG (BG through to ToB) marathon followed by an IWD (plus expansions) marathon and wasn't initially impressed. I found the rules hard to adjust to at first (the lower starting stats etc) and the initial quests are not the best. But then I started really getting into it. And when I'd finished, I started over again with a different party and had a blast. Yes it's a great game, once you get used to the rules and seeing what is possible.

6. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I like it for the 3e rules and, even more importantly, the fact that you build the entire party, instead of having a bunch of pregen misfits latch onto you.

7. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I guess I like it, although I prefer IWD1 and Heart of Winter.

Somehow, I didn't even miss the party banter as much as I thought I would.

Some of the character portraits are beautiful, the music is still nice, and for some reason I've always found the catapult fixing scene in Targos hilarious.

Besides, I've always had a soft spot for Kuldahar.

8. uglijimus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I agree with you there. I love TOEE more just for that reason. But I am having fun playing IWD 2 now.

One thing I've been a little disappointed with is the music. I was told it's great but I find it a bit lacking. It definitely falls when put against BG 2's music.

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I loved the game. I'll admit it didn't live up any of the games in the BG series, but then again, not many games do.

A few things,

* I found the new 3e system quite confusing at first, but in time adapted and began to enjoy it.

* The music was lovely, best of the bunch being the beautiful Kuldahar Pass balad. I'll admit it didn't live up to the BG standard but it was still nice, although there was hardly any battle/wandering/cave etc music and it just felt.. hollow in a way.

* This was my first experience making a whole party (as I never played the original IWD) and although I missed the party banter, it was quite fun creating the whole party the exact way you want.

* Personally I didn't feel there was enough quests and areas in the game. It wasn't exactly a short game, but I mean, compare it to any BG game (even the first one) and it's totally a different style. In BG you could basically go anywhere you wished, exploring all over the Sword Coast whilst having a set goal in mind each chapter. Whereas in IWDII, it's really only a chain, where after each area you absolutely MUST continue on to the next link.

* The story was ok, but I feel it could have been expanded greatly. Luskan seemed to have a great deal to do with the storyline, and you could even SEE the city on the world map (in the western pass), although it wasn't implemented at all :( I guess the game wasn't as good as some of the others they made so they decided not to make an expansion either.. Would have been nice though..

10. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31

I love this game. I was really looking forward to it since I loved IWD so much. The 3E rules took some getting used to, especially since I used to be a 2E expert. But I think a lot of the fun of it comes from what 3E has to offer, especially the ability to make some really fun and interesting party combinations. I also enjoyed being able to make my entire party. The story was great and linear plots don't bother me. I think the music was great and better than BG 1 or 2, but not IWD. I think IWD2 had a sense of humor in the dialogues unlike any of the other IE games and somewhat reminiscent of the Fallout games.

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I loved playing a rpg which felt honest and not so marketing oriented like BG2.
    I loved the enormous freedom to plan the creation and future development of my party members.
    I loved how balanced the game was, that no unfair battles which require preknowledge gained by reloading were added to artificially lengthen the game playing time, how the superior dynamic XP system allowed going through game without feeling bad about not getting every XP possible, how the "do what the game developers expect you to do or get punished" attitude from BG2 wasn't there, that you really could roleplay without fear.
    I loved how each party member added his share to success, how fierce my druidic polar bear was, how my bard surprised me by disabling enemies with his song, how some other battle proceedings surprised me, how all my party members found the way to my heart like in no other game.

12. rascricket Gems: 1/31

Awesome replies. Its definitely obvious theres alot of BG fans here. Also, some who are resistant to change, lol.
    For instance, the new rules in IW2 are hardly new, and its kind of hard to be a D&D fan if youre stuck in the past. The newer rules have always been an improvement IMO and not a set back.
    Indeeed, IWD2 has an original and non-marketed feel and is very much a huge part of the D7D world as many locations, etc are mentioned. Its true to its roots without fail.
    Also, the full party creation means total customization. How about a 3 person, all half orc, all Barbarian party? Totally possible. Fun? Maybe, lol.
    I do beleive that the very epic game, Knight of the Old Republic, was done on 3e rules. So, again, its a matter of taste regarding the rulesets, its just my opinion that it does no good to stay in the past rulesets. Move forward.
    In the face of all the next gen games, RPG's, and MMO's, its very cool to see that people still know the value of games like IWD2.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Until Harbs included me in his SP party (good memories, I must say), I never gave a flying F about IWD2. I then gave it a try. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh yeah, Disciple was some sort of Barbarian / Bard, if I remember correctly? That was the beauty of the game - the ability to make a completely customised party with your own backstories - so more like the traditional D&D than some of the other games.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Actually, Disciple was Lorekeeper - always in search of new tech and metal, Barbarian - because of my short temper and Bard. I remember the "electric guitar" and Chev making a comment regarding the "lyrics", Rally continually snapping at me until I pointed out the Silverstars' tolerance, and me calling Harbs a tree hugger, IIRC.

Priceless. :shake:

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I played it once and can't say I really enjoyed it. But after reading the replies here, I think that, like others, my unfamiliarity with 3e might have had something to do with it, so I'll probably give it a whirl again some day.

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    What is love? I love IWD2 and this made me love it even more.

18. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31

Caradhras, the link in your post is not working.

Aahh, looks like the G3 website in general is having problems.

19. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I love this game! This is the best game ever made. Even wonderful games like BG2, Kotor1-2, Shining force1-2 and chrono trigger can't really give me the same amount of wonderful gametime as IWD2.

I love that it's a game based around a party (and the possibility to have a quite large party compared to many other games). The fact that you design your whole party just makes it better. I've probably spent manyweeks just planning partys for this game.

I personally think 3e is the best D&D-system and will probably be for some time. Almost every change from 2e was good IMO and I didn't really like the few changes I noticed in 3,5 and the rumours I've heard of 4e don't sound that fun.

They also did a great job in implementing the 3e rules to be good for a CRPG.

The levels, and music are beatiful and the large amount of interesting combats make the gameplay a joy. Many of the fights are fun, compared to many rpgs where you have to kill countless of small worthless monsters between every somewhat interesting fight.

20. rascricket Gems: 1/31

Someone else mentioned that the combat isnt as "trial and terror" based as some RPG's and thats theres not one "developer made-gotta do it this way" aspect of the combat. I really like that.

True, the quest is linear and holds your hand from area to area, but...If I want ambiguity I turn on Everquest. With all the great games out there, one like IWD2 that holds you hand through great zone to great zone, it makes for a great ride and its welcome.

Whoever said above that no other games characters found their way to your heart like in IWD2...well put. What a cool feeling. And I agree. Its probably because you fully "make" them. Can even write a Bio for 'em if you're inclined. Truly, I'll never forget my Dwarf Rogue/Fighter Rumplebun Donghammer. Haha!

Ahh, good times.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.