1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Just My Feelings On The Game

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Nobleman, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] SPOILERS INSIDE!

I ventured off with a solo Paladin which proved to be wuite a fatal and long winding decission as I coulnd't find any NPCs. I hacked my way through Vale of Shadows but didn't really enjoy the game. But I still slashed my way through the first parts of the Dragon's eye. Untill I finally raised the white flag as hordes, even legions of undead swayed my way.

So I started a pure brutal group of 6 members 1xF/M/T 1xPaladin 2xF/C and 2xFighters.

one and a half day later and a lot of blood and hack and slash later I stood in Easthaven. I was a bit dissapointed but of course the game is only two CDs.

The hardest part was to cast protection from lightning after an advice from a mage when I should find the combination on the big wheel.

Else I think the troublesome part in the game was to find my way around that maze of the Dwarven Cage. find 6 gadgets and find 6 strange locks and walk upstairs to fight the baddie.

BUT!! The coolest and most awesome feature, which really rocks is; The bloke telling the story is the badguy himself. That is just a pearl! :) The game really makes me want to go on another monty haul to catch the hotguy. They have really made a great badguy. And of course the monster graphics are awesome. It is great to whack my +5 swords down in a frostgiant's foot.

EDITED HERE:
    The hardest part of the game was actually to make room for all the loot, Since it was quite easy to find resting places and heal to full.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 30, 2001).]

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, while it did take me considerably longer to do the game (though I guess I could do about a chapter a day of straight playing and not worrying about keeping up with all the items), I finished the game today. The hardest parts for me at least were the hoards in dragons eye and having to treck back to the surface every time for healing and some parts of Lower Dorn's. The Severed Hand was more of a pain to complete than anything else, but it moved quickly enough. What I disliked the most is the lack of towns or people to talk to. Countless hours of hack and slash, but little else. I did think, however, that the end boss was an excellent bad guy. Him with all his suffering and pain talk was fun, plus all the terrible things he did made you want to go after him, if only him alone. I just found little in game motoivation to wade through all the hordes, except to see the next area (breathtaking areas by the way) and find some semblence of a plot hook;) All in all, though, a nice break game inbetween major titles. I'd say I might have been happier though with Planescape. But I'm glad I tried the game at least. A sequal does have potential.

3. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I know I;ve said this like 100 times, but here it is one more time. Try playing it all the way through solo. I really think that it ads an interesting, more personal if you will, aspects to the game. I played a F/M/T solo twice, but I'm sure there are some other interesting combos.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Sorry I am not playing IWD more than once. The Solo thing is an arbitry possibility. There is just a lot of work to be done. And I would rather spend my time on a lot of other stuff.

I dodn't really get a kick out of the game. As crawl mentioned; there aren't much people to talk to. There is a single/simple story line.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited October 01, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.