1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Johnny Depp: Picking up where the Dixie Chicks left off

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/03/depp.us.reax.reut/index.html

I don't exactly expect to see people steamrolling Edward Scissorhands DVD's or anything, but I wonder if Capn' Sparrow will see a backlash resembling what happened to the Dixie Chicks. I'm definitely a fan of his and find him infinitely more intelligent than the Chicks, but at the end of the day, he's just an actor and no one really cares what he has to say.

But then again, the people who really will care what he has to say are the same people who dumped out French wine they'd already purchased, boycotted French restaurants run by Americans, and renamed deep-fried potato sticks as a rather flacid act of defiance. It just gives them more ammunition, I think.

He does have a right to say what he wants, and I think he does make a rather good (and obvious) point, but the fact that he said this from overseas just makes him look like a bit of a chump. I do realize that much like what the Dixie Chicks said, he's catoring to the particular audience he's addressing.

Thoughts?

2. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Well you've shattered my illusions now! I was holding out for marriage to Johnny Depp ;)

He has kids?
    He's married?
    He's 40?

Also, was Vanesa Paradis that stupid girl who sang Joe Le Taxi? If so, then I'm aghast that anyone could find her attractive!

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While I don’t disagree with the general sentiments he expresses, the comments are would be more appropriate if they were directed at the current administration rather than America (and Americans by association) in general. (Although ‘Rottweiler’ may be more fitting than ‘Puppy’, and ‘self-centred’ rather than ‘dumb’.) However, I don’t know what he hopes to accomplish with his statement. Nobody is going to change their views because of this (as Death Rabbit says, other than those who get blinded by U.S. patriotism, who cares about what an actor thinks?), and in the meantime he can probably kiss his acting career goodbye. Talk about ‘dumb’.

Edit - changed "wrapped up in" to "blinded by", based on Death Rabbit's following comment (he is absolutely correct)

[ September 03, 2003, 19:44: Message edited by: Splunge ]

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Splunge
    Patrotism is a good thing. I love my country. But "over-patriotism" is the problem. Love of country need never sidestep logic. Just clarifying - I know what you meant.

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't know that he was trying to accomplish anything. He was being interviewed, and was simply answering a question. He wasn't exactly shouting it out in the middle of a concert of thousands.

He probably wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't asked.

Edited to say: Who the hell cares what Johnny Depp thinks anyway? Why did I even respond to this?

6. Death Rabbit

Media:
    True, but being asked by your neighbor down the block and being asked by the press are too very different things. If he didn't want those feelings to be known, he wouldn't have told a reporter. He's not stupid.

To answer your EDIT: No one should care. No one should care what the Dixie Chicks have to say either. But Americans badmouthing America from overseas always seems to get the hornets' nest stirring. I think at least a mild 'Johnny Depp Backlash' is inevitable.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I think the backlash will be more than "a bit", but that doesn't mean I think it's right or logical. But, just as he has the right to say what he thinks, so do others . . .
    Your phrase "just an actor" made me feel weird. He could be highly educated. I guess I hear "just a teacher" far too often ;)

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

A. Yeah, it's true. Generally, why care about the opinion of Brittney Spears, Justin whatsoever, Madonna, Beyoncé and so on. Well no, I'd actually wonder what Madonna thinks, because the way she handles things is impressive. That's a career, she obviously knows what she's doing.

B. Iirc. the Dixie Chicks got their beating because something they said on a concert. Big deal. As I was on a Robbie Williams concert, he didn't conceal his blattant Anti-Swedishm. Real crude Anti-Swedishism. He always reminded the audience, how much the Swedes suck and how much the Swiss rule. Or maybe he just was playing word-games, who knows. Anyway, it didn't lead to a scandal. Propably because no one cares either about what he says or about Sweden. And maybe he did the same thing in Stockholm too, just switching some letters.

C. And then, who cares, there in the limelight. So.. By the way what do you mean with "catering to the audience". The traditional European Anti-Americanism ? Yeah, I've read an American article about it. It can be traced back to Heinrich Heine. From here
    I just think, it's to anyones liking. Some take quotes from now-famous-pop-stars from music and film, others, more serious minded, take excerpts from ancient poems. In the end, it is just the same.

By the way, not only is Heine in this article wrongly accused as "romantic poet", the articles omits also, that in this poem he says, that in Germany they'll shoot him, that the English stink so much, it makes him vomit and he can't stand the Russian habit of beating anyone into submission. So, it's fair and equal xenophobia, I think, and the Americans don't even get the biggest share.

D. To the comment. I don't know, Depp is propably on an exhausting interview tour and tells the whole day the same stuff over and over again. Yes, he's a professional, but everybody gets tired sometimes. So I can propably imagine, that it sliped out. I've read the interview, he was questioned about the relationship France-US and he started with, US media and goverment-officals called the French "animals". And then, I am myself get very angered from watching CNN. Some comments from some ****ed up US media-people really get my blood pumping. It's just lucky, that the Americans don't do their vacation in Spain. That would end in a bloodbath. So I can relat to it, if there is some anger which may come up to the surface, when the topic comes up.

And by the way, I actually think he's a pretty smart guy. Not because of this specific comment, but he's doing his job great. I loved that film with the headless rider. And I think for acting, you need brain and most actors I think have very good education.

Edit: He, he, people who burn books wouldn't mind to burn human beings, according to Heine. I think the same applies to CD's.

[ September 03, 2003, 23:30: Message edited by: Yago ]

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Just to clarify - I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan. The man chooses the best roles Hollywood has to offer, according to what he considers to be good, not the paycheck. He doesn't sell out - with possibly Pirates of the Carribean being the only exception. He is IMO far more intelligent and sophisticated than most of his peers. I'm not saying he was wrong for saying what he said.

10. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I've also read some interviews done with him and found him to be very intelligent in his replies, and his basic attitude towards life--he's 'grown-up', if you will. And also, I think that Pirates was a mediocre movie, but I think the part he played was a terrific part. So it's still not *technically* selling out. Really, c'mon, I swear.
    But to get back onto topic (topic, topic, topic....oh yeah, that one) I find it kind of silly that someone who is famous can speak their mind about something that isn't necessarily popular and EXPECT backlash from it. He may be intelligent and he may know what he's talking about, or he may not, but I mean, just because he's popular doesn't mean he's going to pander to the popular thought of the day. Whether I agree with him or not. Though I do agree with several people who have mentioned that an american that's moved to another country and then backhands america and not just the current administration or something like that kind of comes off looking like an ass. But really.... it's his opinion and his life, and somehow from the way he comes across, I doubt he'd care much about the backlash.
    One other note too is that the Dixie Chick's target audience tends to a group of people who tend to be extremely patriotic, while Johnny Depp's is a lot more diverse (not to encourage that stereotype about people who listen to country music, but it generally proves to be true. You should hear some of the patriotic country songs that came out after 9/11 and when the war started. I'm not truly anti- any of it, but even I wanted to stuff cotton balls in my ears. Yeesh.)

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, I was disappointed in him too. I really liked Pirates, and his performance as well.

I probably won't be buying the DVD.

12. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

What I don't get is that there was no "real" Dixie Chick backlash. Yes there was alot of media attention during it but did everyone also notice that their concerts were sold out everywhere they went and their cd was topping the charts. There was alot of "noise" about what they said but apparently the vast majority of thier fans had no problem with it as they aren't hurting a bit.

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmmm....It amazes me that an American actor, who owes all his riches and fame and lifestyle to the thing he criticizes can be so stupid. If not for America, he wouldn't have the opportunity to lounge on the French Riviera with his hottie girlfriend (I saw a picture of her...She's not as hideous as Shell says :toofar: )and poo poo everything America is. He, and everything he has, was born from everything he criticized about America.

France can keep him as far as I'm concerned. If he was so bothered about things here - he should get involved in changing what he doesn't like. He should use his celebrity for something constructive. Seriously, where else could an uneducated hack be a multi-millionaire? Anywhere else in the world he'd be slinging burgers at a fast food restaurant!

~End o' Rant

14. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I do completely agree with that. I really don't like the "America" is bad bashing. Blame the administration and try to get things changed here instead of *****ing about it. I wouldn't vote for him if I lived in California but at least Arnold is trying to help his state. Of course, the only debate he's willing to do is the one where the questions are known beforehand which to me doesn't bode well. If you don't like where we are going to as a country try to change the system. I despise the many lies and betrayals the bush administration has done to this country (gee, lets wage two wars and spread ourselves thin, and then try to cut hazard pay for our soldiers at the same time. Now that is one hell of a way to honor our soldiers) but not only am I going to vote in every election I can, I'm getting friends who ***** alot but don't vote to do so also. If you just ***** and do nothing, it's your own damn fault.

15. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Why?
    Because you don't agree with him?

Heavens no!

The man was asked a question, he answered a question, hey, at least he told the truth. Why all the ridiculousness?

Has it come down to the point where for someone to be in the entertainment industry they have to be patriotic? What about foreign actors?

Incidently, actors don't make movies on their own either. In "boycotting" a movie because of what an actor thinks... you should realize that there's a writer, director, producers, other actors, etc. and none of you have any idea of what any of them think.

Nor should you care.

I have, "Dead Man" on DVD, and I don't think I'm going to be burning it over this. Hell of a good movie by the way.

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A slightly different version of this story here. I mention this because, according to this article, they renamed French Fries "Freedom Fries" on Capitol Hill as well. I always thought this was done just by some idiot restaraunt owner (as opposed to idiot politicians).

Anyway, back on topic, I like Depp as an actor as well, but ArtEChoke, the point is not whether Depp is right in what he says, but whether he was smart in saying it.

17. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It had to be a pirate !

As I looked for this article yesterday, this content was no news here. Today it was on many media-outlets. It seems to me, some fragments of a longer text were shipped over the big pond, came into a machinery, were a little bit amplified and distorted. And after that, it's shipped back and is even newsworthy over here. That's the original interview, inclusive controversial parts, like the needle in the hay.

http://www.stern.de/unterhaltung/film/index.html?id=512374&p=2&nv=ct_cb

18. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Splunge, I never said whether I thought he was right or wrong, just that I don't really care what he thinks.

I'm a graphic designer, if I say outloud that I think the Bush Administration sucks, and so does everyone that voted them in... should I get fired from my job? Or should the company I work for lose all of its clients?

Ridiculous.

In any case Mr. Depp said his quote was taken grossly out of context:

Odd I can't get this link to work....

Moral of the story: Who cares?

19. Splunge

Media:
    ArtEChoke, I understood your point, and you or I may not care what he thinks, but others for some strange reason will care; he should have been smart enough to realize that. The link you posted (it does work, BTW) says to me that he came to his senses, and is now trying to backpedal. I don't believe for a second that his comments were taken out of context, though. He realizes that he was being stupid and now he's just trying to make excuses.

20. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Ok, we're on the same wavelength, I do agree that people will care, but in the same breath, why do they even matter... in any case, yes you're right.

And I agree, he's backpedalling, but to reiterate, hehe, I don't care... and Dead Man is still a damn good movie.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.