1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

John Constantine: Hellblazer

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Enagonios, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] If there are any of you that have read even one story arc in this ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC (like "Sandman fantastic") graphic novel series, you know that the movie is going to ruin it... I can't believe they thought they could pull this one off. I mean, I understand Spiderman, X-men and maybe even Blade, but this? Cripes, they even cast Keanu Reeves as Constantine. He's not even british! And if Tom Cruise in Collateral is any indication of how he's gonna look as a blondie, this movie is gonna drop even one star lower!
    But I'm just raving here and waiting for the movie to come out. Anybody agree? disagree? (Question being: is the movie going to suck?)

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    keanU? as John? NOOOOOO!!!!!

*dies*

I've read very little Hellblazer myself, biut from a friend I've gottena very good grasp of the comic. (She wrote a n fanfic casting Constantine as the BG2 player character.... it got me hooked on Hellblazer :p )

The movie might be good as a movie, but bad as an adaptation. Take your pick if it will suck or not.

*remembers something* Wren't they going to cast Nick Cage as Constantine? He would have been better, methinks, at least he looks weatherbeaten enough....

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I don't know about Nick Cage, but I hear there are already trailers featuring Keanu, so that pretty much seals the deal I guess. Argh, I don't know what they think they're doing. By comparison to the other comic book names out there, most people have never even heard of this title (like Hellboy), I don't know what makes them think they can market this. Hellblazer is all about "the dark side of the occult" and John Constantine is a modern day wise-cracking, chain-smoking mage. If this movie isn't rated R-18, that means that it will contain nothing from the comic except the name...

@Arabwel
    have you read the Dangerous Habits story arc? The one when they say he has terminal lung cancer? It's awesome. I've actually only read a bit of hellblazer, I just stumbled across him when he made a cameo in Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, another must-read along with all of Neil Gaiman's other stuff (Neverwhere, American Gods, Stardust, etc.)

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Nope... terminally bad access to the comics where I live. But I am aware of that arc, and boy, was I impressed by ´his actions :D

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

which one? being stupid enough to screw lucifer over or smart enough to get hinself out of it? hehe. Where you live, meaning the country or the exact location? (ex: 200miles to the nearest comic/book store hehe)

6. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I've seen the trailers now, but have never read the comic. The flick looks pretty good to me. Perhaps it's a good thing I've never read the comic, eh? And so Keanu nabbed the title role. From the trailer, I just can't picture Nick Cage in that role. I'm not a huge fan of either, but I didn't mind Keanu in the Matrix so maybe he won't be that bad in this. Again, having never read the comic, I will be oblivious to any butchering of the original character or storyline, so perhaps that will be a good thing. Is anyone else looking forward to this movie?

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yknow who would've made a good Constantine? The guy that plays "The leg" in the Replacements. Or The guy that plays the scribe in Knight's Tale and the lead in Wimbledon. He would've made a cool constantine imo. Keanu's a "strong,silent type" of guy who shows that he can be cool in the Matrix. Constantine is a loud, wisecracking punk who always gets the crap kicked out of him but always ends up on top because of some cunning twist. Somehow I can't see Keanu filling this role :( I'm still going to go see it though. Also, Constantine is supposed to be blonde and british :/

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Enagonios wanted this thread bumped so that people could discuss their opinions of the film now that it is out.

I was thinking of seeing it yesterday but I really don't know anything about the character and the reviews I read were fairly bad so I decided not to.

However, if enough people here like it as much as Enagonios I may change my mind.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Thanks JSBB :)

I found it pretty good. Sure they could have gotten somebody better to play Constantine than Keanu (and somebody else to play his sidekick Chas as well, c'mon they're both supposed to be brits) but it was still pretty good. And Rachel Weisz is easy on the eyes :D

10. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Saw this. I like some of the effects. Rachel was ok, so was Djimon, and I find the guy playing Chas likable. And as usual, I'd rather have another guy play Constantine. The story, I can accept the Catholic beliefs regarding suicide, or even Lucifer having a son. But found it wierd that men can actually make Lucifer a stupid moron. And to top it all, Archangel Gabriel was an impatient angel.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    If those things bother you, be thankful they never got around to making a 'Preacher' movie ;)

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The quote from the movie that I liked in particular was Lucifer vs Gabriel: "looks like sooomebody doesn't have your back anymoore" ;)

The guy playing Chas was that kid from "Even Stevens" or so my siblings tell me.

@AMaster

yeah, but Constantine is way cooler than Jesse imo :p

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, yeah, Constantine's cooler than Jesse, but Jesse had cooler things happen around/to him. I mean, angels snorting cocaine and paying for whores...how can you not love it? :p

14. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I saw an advert for it and was quite impressed with the way the effects looked. It seemed interesting enough to warrant a visit to the cinema.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.