1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jello/Jelly

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Silvery, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's my friends hen do later on this month and I saw a recipe for Strawberry Magarita Jello shots that I thought would be good. My sister is organising the whole thing so I showed her it and it now looks like I've volunteered myself to make them!

The thing is, the recipe calls for strawberry jello. Is that just the same as jelly? Or is it different?

The recipe is below if it helps!

STRAWBERRY MARGARITA JELL-O SHOOTERS

Always "SHARE" with friends and family...LET'S EAT!

Ingredients:
    24-30 Strawberries

MARGARITA MIX
    1 box Strawberry Jell-O
    8 ounces tequila
    6 ounce Cointreau (orange flavored liquor)
    Salt for garnish

Directions:
    STRAWBERRY PREP:
    Cut the bottoms of the strawberry flat to get them to stand upright. When you do so, make sure that you do not cut off so much that there is a hole at the bottom.

Use a huller or apple corer to empty out the strawberry.
    Once the strawberries have been emptied, use a towel to pat the outside of the strawberries dry.
    Check each strawberry and make sure there is not a hole in the bottom before you start filling.

MARGARITA MIX
    Boil one cup of hot water in a saucepan, then add in Jell-o powder and whisk until powder is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Set aside. Measure out 1/4 cup of cold water and set aside.

Combine tequila and Cointreau, in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Add liquor mixture to cold water and stir to combine. Then add cold liquor mixture to hot Jell-o mixture and stir to combine.

Pour final Jell-o mix into strawberries and chill overnight. Dip your finger in water or use a moistened brush to wet the edge of the strawberries, dip and rotate the strawberries in salt to rim.

Garnish with cut lime triangles to finish.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, Strawberry Jell-O is a strawberry flavored gelatin product, not a jelly product. I imagine you have a similar product with a different brand name.

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK, coz I know you jam gets called jelly in the US.....unless you guys have wobbly sandwiches!

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, perhaps jelly is different for you, but here, jelly is thickened with pectin, not gelatin and Jell-O gelatin is much thicker than jelly and really isn't spreadable like jelly is.

EDIT:
    OK, I googled a bit about UK jelly, and yes it does seem that jelly in the UK is a gelatin (or gelatine as they say there) product. So, Silvery, I would have to say that Jell-O is jelly for you.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I'd make sure about that before I started in because I think the two different things would have dramatically different results. :)

6. Silvery

Media:
    Well I can get gelatin, I think that should do it

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, Americans have this crazy habit of making up new words for things even though they claim to speak English. They say Jello when they really mean Jelly (the dessert you have with ice cream) and say Jelly when they really mean Jam (the fruity spread you put on toast).

Bladezuez likes this.
  8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Technically it is Jell-O which is the brand name that dominates the market. That is why we call it that.
    Be sure to use this for your party or you will be very disappointed.

9. Silvery

Media:
    OK, well what would the English equivalent be?

10. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well I don't think the brand name matters as long as you use a gelatin product and make it to its specifications using liquid such as water, juice, and hard liquor to the right proportions. I've made lots of different combinations of those cocktail desserts with gelatin and with jello mix as well. As long as they set, they almost always work. It's good to put a little less liquid than is required. You can play with the alcohol ratio and make it as strong or as weak as you like.

Silvery likes this.
  11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorry about that. I didn't mean that you needed the name brand just that you wanted to make sure you had the gelatin equivalent as opposed to what we would call jelly.

12. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

This is probably a digression, but I should note that in the US, jam is NOT jelly. Yes, it is spread on bread, but there are actually 4 (maybe more?) products that are similar that we spread on bread:

Preserves: fruit with pectin -- and there are often huge chunks of fruit that are not as spreadable as the rest of the spread, so it's pretty uneven.

Jam: fruit with pectin, but smashed up more -- so it's pretty even, but you do have actual fruit.

Jelly: fruit juice with pectin -- very, very thin and even because there's no actual fruit, just the juice. It's also got a very different texture.

Marmalade: To be honest, I'm not really sure what marmalade is. I just know that it's almost always orange (at least in the US) and is different from preserves, jam, and jelly. Since I don't like orange much, I usually don't have it.

I know this because I like jam and preserves but don't much care for jelly. The consistency bothers me -- too much like Jell-O, strangely enough.

Bladezuez likes this.
  13. Silvery

Media:
    I'm now just as confused as I was to start with!

In the UK, jelly is the wobbly stuff that you have as a dessert and jam is smashed up fruit that you'd put in a sandwich

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Marmalade is made from citrus fruits.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Marmalade as Harbourboy says is made form citrus fruits, but more specifically it contains the zest (or outer peel) of citrus fruits.

Jelly in the UK I gather is the same as a gelatin dessert here. We don't really have (as far as I'm aware) a different name other than very often using Jell-O the brand name as the generic name for the gelatin dessert, the same way we use Kleenex (the brand name) to mean facial tissue.

We have several kinds of fruit preserves, jelly (as we call it) being the one with the least amount of actual fruit in it. All the fruit preserves as Verona described are thickened with fruit pectin rather than the animal-derived gelatin, and the thickening is not as strong with pectin, so it falls apart much easier and is spreadable.

16. Silvery

Media:
    So I can use jelly?

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    As I understand it, yes. I assume you can buy a strawberry-flavored "jelly" product? Or do you only have unflavored gelatin?

If you have a strawberry-flavored gelatin dessert, then I'd say it's the same thing as strawberry flavored Jell-O. :)

18. Harbourboy

Yes, use the wobbly dessert that comes in crystal form.

I just looked at the ingredients on my jar of raspberry jam and see that it consistents of "raspberries" and "sugar".

19. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Who knew this topic could cause such turmoil? It should probably go to the Alleys. ;)

Bladezuez, Taluntain and Silvery like this.
  20. Silvery

Media:
    We get all sorts of flavours of jelly so I'll get some strawberry.

Next question is....Sugar-free or not?

(Gaear, you could be right!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.